Re: [SabreSailboat] Tool recommendations for cordless drill and impact driver set?

  • DAVID LOCHNER
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 25, 2013
      Pete,

      Thanks for the info. However, if I went with the generic batteries then I wouldn't be able to justify the new 18v models.  :)

      Dave

      On Apr 25, 2013, at 2:45 PM, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

      Dave -
      If you aren't hung up on the yellow, you can get PWR replacement batteries on Amazon.  You can get a 2-pack of 3000 mah batteries for about the same as a single official DeWalt 2400.
      Pete

      On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM, DAVID LOCHNER <davelochner@...> wrote:

      The Dewalts have worked well for me. Currently I have a 12 V drill, 18 V drill  and 18 impact driver.

      My one complaint is that the cost of replacement batteries is almost the same as a new more powerful drill. With a little care the batteries have a pretty good lifespan. The 12 V batteries lasted about 6 or 7 years before getting too weak and not accepting a deep charge.

      Dave

      On Apr 25, 2013, at 12:50 PM, Carter Brey <carter.brey@...> wrote:

      +1 for the DeWalt. It changed my life as an amateur handyman. The batteries are awesome. I used it to drill a large cavity into the hardened stainless tubing of my pedestal guard so I could install the remote mic of my Standard Horizon VHF. It begged for more.

      CB

      On Apr 25, 2013 12:02 PM, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...> wrote:

      Now that Milwaukee has been bought by TTG, a Chinese Home Depot affiliate which also holds the Ryobi brand, it just ain't the same.  The bulletproof all metal drills and Sawzalls that made them famous are not what you'll get today.
      I'm partial to DeWalt, but I don't hear encouraging things after the Stanley-Black & Decker merger.
      Check Fine Homebuilding for a drill review. They are brutally honest.  The last I looked, they were big on Makita and Bosch.
      That said, I have a DeWalt 12v drill that works great, as well as a DeWalt 3/8 drive 12v impact gun that does 17mm lug nuts and #8 screws equally well.  I just used it to remove my swim ladder steps.  Brapppp, brappp 30 seconds per step.
      Pete

      On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

      just buy this and be happy

      - Torque to mix a gallon of unmixed bottom paint
      - sensitivity to install #8 screws for door hinges without stripping them
      - 2 batteries and the recharge is faster then the thing will run out.
      - Mine is 3 years old and the batteries are still like new.

      Have used it with a team to build 18 picnic tables for a day camp one day.
      We were all tired. The drill was ready for more.

      Toss  a small drill index and some screwdriver tips in the box and you have a fastening machine.

      Cannot touch it for price.

      john

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 25, 2013
        I have been using the Milwaukee M12 L/I for about two years. Love them. Got the drill, right angle drill,1/4" impact drill and their mini sawzall. Still have the Dewalt 12V and 14v, but they are too big and heavy for most boat work. M12's are much lighter and smaller. Battery's charge in about 30 mins. Once you buy 1 or 2 tool sets,start buying the bare reman tools on CPO outlets for about 60-70$. I have 3 chargers and 7 batteries, So I always have a charged one. The impact wrench will about break your arm!!!

        JD

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 25, 2013

          Now it's also time to retire the old Black and Decker and splurge on a decent drill and impact driver. I seem to remember some good recommendations for Milwaukee, the M12 range.

          What are you guys using and recommending these day?

          (Figured it was time for a good tool discussion :)

          go for the 18v.
          It is the balls....

          If the admiral is expecting work on the house, find a couple door that are not closing correctly.  Get some 5" screws and replace the upper hinge screws.
          The 18v will make short work of them and that door will lift up and come right back into alignment.

          Trick a house builder showed me that works.
        • Neil Russell
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 26, 2013
            Very happy with my 18v lithium DeWalt drills -
            but they seem to be pushing the 20v models the last 1+ years?

            "Whisper"
            S362-266
            Salem MA