Re: [SabreSailboat] Bilge pump cover

  • Dave Evans
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 22, 2013
      Peter,
      Me too! I added a piece of tape which helps, but a real solution would be nice. Ours doesn't have a rubber O-ring, though; more like a piece of nylon cord.
      dge

      On 4/22/2013 12:50 PM, Carter Brey wrote:

      Peter,

      If they turn out to fit, I will definitely buy some off you. I'm tired of kicking the damned thing shut every time I come about onto port tack.

      Carter

      On Apr 22, 2013 12:29 PM, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

      Does anyone know the correct size for the o-ring that holds the cockpit bilge pump door closed on my 1987 S-30 mk3? The one my marina sold me was too thin and then broke down in the sunlight anyway.

      allorings.com will sell me a bag of 25 EPDM o-rings size 3" I.D. x 1/8" cross section for $11.75. EPDM is the right material for sunlight but is this the right size?

      Then, does anyone need a ring or two? I doubt I will ever use all 25!

      Peter

      __

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 22, 2013
        Peter -
        two possibilities:
        1) Whale P/N AS3725 will get you the O-ring and a new rubber gaiter for $10.85.

        2) Measure the O-ring and sell the dimensions to Dave and Carter.
        Pete

        On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM, vanbeckump <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

        Does anyone know the correct size for the o-ring that holds the cockpit bilge pump door closed on my 1987 S-30 mk3? The one my marina sold me was too thin and then broke down in the sunlight anyway.

        allorings.com will sell me a bag of 25 EPDM o-rings size 3" I.D. x 1/8" cross section for $11.75. EPDM is the right material for sunlight but is this the right size?

        Then, does anyone need a ring or two? I doubt I will ever use all 25!

        Peter

      • DAVID LOCHNER

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 22, 2013
              Why not make your own?  Buy some silicone tube from an automotive store, cut to length and glue with one drop of super glue.

              Good Old Boat magazine had an article about this and apparently it works great.  (I have not tried it and can't vouch for the article.)  The rings they showed can even be stretched without breaking.

              //Barend (Yen Shon, 1989 S34II #376)

              To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 23, 2013
                Thanks all, I will begin planning my retirement based on the profits I will make as an o-ring reseller!

                I have a call into Glenn at Sabre to get his opinion on just what was and maybe what actually works???

                Stay tuned,

                Peter

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

                > Peter,
                > Me too! I added a piece of tape which helps, but a real solution would
                > be nice. Ours doesn't have a rubber O-ring, though; more like a piece of
                > nylon cord.
                > dge
                >
                > On 4/22/2013 12:50 PM, Carter Brey wrote:
                > >
                > > Peter,
                > >
                > > If they turn out to fit, I will definitely buy some off you. I'm tired
                > > of kicking the damned thing shut every time I come about onto port tack.
                > >
                > > Carter
                > >
                > > On Apr 22, 2013 12:29 PM, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...
                > > <mailto:vanbeckump@...>> wrote:
                > >
                > > Does anyone know the correct size for the o-ring that holds the
                > > cockpit bilge pump door closed on my 1987 S-30 mk3? The one my
                > > marina sold me was too thin and then broke down in the sunlight
                > > anyway.
                > >
                > > allorings.com <http://allorings.com> will sell me a bag of 25 EPDM
                > > o-rings size 3" I.D. x 1/8" cross section for $11.75. EPDM is the
                > > right material for sunlight but is this the right size?
                > >
                > > Then, does anyone need a ring or two? I doubt I will ever use all 25!
                > >
                > > Peter
                > >
                > > __

              • John Kelleher
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 23, 2013

                  I could use a couple,  mine is just hanging about and is low on the list.  John K,  Imagine,  Bodkin Creek, MD

                  On Apr 23, 2013 11:36 AM, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

                  Thanks all, I will begin planning my retirement based on the profits I will make as an o-ring reseller!

                  I have a call into Glenn at Sabre to get his opinion on just what was and maybe what actually works???

                  Stay tuned,

                  Peter

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

                  > Peter,
                  > Me too! I added a piece of tape which helps, but a real solution would
                  > be nice. Ours doesn't have a rubber O-ring, though; more like a piece of
                  > nylon cord.
                  > dge
                  >
                  > On 4/22/2013 12:50 PM, Carter Brey wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Peter,
                  > >
                  > > If they turn out to fit, I will definitely buy some off you. I'm tired
                  > > of kicking the damned thing shut every time I come about onto port tack.
                  > >
                  > > Carter
                  > >
                  > > On Apr 22, 2013 12:29 PM, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...
                  > > <mailto:vanbeckump@...>> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone know the correct size for the o-ring that holds the
                  > > cockpit bilge pump door closed on my 1987 S-30 mk3? The one my
                  > > marina sold me was too thin and then broke down in the sunlight
                  > > anyway.
                  > >
                  > > allorings.com <http://allorings.com> will sell me a bag of 25 EPDM
                  > > o-rings size 3" I.D. x 1/8" cross section for $11.75. EPDM is the
                  > > right material for sunlight but is this the right size?
                  > >
                  > > Then, does anyone need a ring or two? I doubt I will ever use all 25!
                  > >
                  > > Peter
                  > >
                  > > __

                • Paul B
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 23, 2013
                    Peter,

                    If you have the plastic vent covers for the coachouse, the O-ring on them will work.  I replaced the failed O-ring on the pump door with one a few years ago.  No problems.

                    Paul B
                    s/v Sea Fever, St Joseph, MI
                    S 30/182

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 18, 2013
                        Sorry for the late response but I'm back and trying to catch up. My solution was to put as small sheet metal screw between the frame and the door which keeps the darn thing closed but would not be too hard to remove if needed. I worked for the last 6 years!

                        Jan S-38 Mk I Capriccio, Puerto Vallart, Mexico

                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

                        > That's handy news, because my O-ring does fine. I have no idea if it's
                        > original.
                        > In that case, I'd measure then experiment with hardware store o-rings and
                        > order the right size in EPDM.
                        >

                        > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM, DAVID LOCHNER <davelochner@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Peter,
                        > >
                        > > I have an extra gaiter because I have done as Pete advises. That O Ring
                        > > didn't work very well at all. I've been thinking of some kind of latch or
                        > > just ignoring the dangling cover.
                        > >
                        > > Dave
                        > >

                        > > On Apr 22, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Peter -
                        > > two possibilities:
                        > > 1) Whale P/N AS3725 will get you the O-ring and a new rubber gaiter for
                        > > $10.85.
                        > >
                        > > http://www.jmsonline.net/deckplate-gaiter-kit.htm?gclid=CK7Cz_7u3rYCFUJx4AodmiwABg
                        > >
                        > > 2) Measure the O-ring and sell the dimensions to Dave and Carter.
                        > > Pete
                        > >

                        > > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM, vanbeckump <vanbeckump@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> **
                        > >>

                        > >> Does anyone know the correct size for the o-ring that holds the cockpit
                        > >> bilge pump door closed on my 1987 S-30 mk3? The one my marina sold me was
                        > >> too thin and then broke down in the sunlight anyway.
                        > >>
                        > >> allorings.com will sell me a bag of 25 EPDM o-rings size 3" I.D. x 1/8"
                        > >> cross section for $11.75. EPDM is the right material for sunlight but is
                        > >> this the right size?
                        > >>
                        > >> Then, does anyone need a ring or two? I doubt I will ever use all 25!
                        > >>
                        > >> Peter

                      • vanbeckump
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                          Update on the o-ring search. I found a 2 1/2" x 1/8" black rubber one at an auto supply house that works fine...at least for three days of following seas and strong breezes. I'm convinced.

                          I will order a dozen in EPDM and deal them out to interested parties at cost.

                          Peter

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

                          > Does anyone know the correct size for the o-ring that holds the cockpit bilge pump door closed on my 1987 S-30 mk3? The one my marina sold me was too thin and then broke down in the sunlight anyway.
                          >
                          > allorings.com will sell me a bag of 25 EPDM o-rings size 3" I.D. x 1/8" cross section for $11.75. EPDM is the right material for sunlight but is this the right size?
                          >
                          > Then, does anyone need a ring or two? I doubt I will ever use all 25!
                          >
                          > Peter

                        • DAVID LOCHNER
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                            Pete,

                            I'll take one.

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                              Peter -
                              That may be the correct size for water and holding tank inspection ports as well.
                              Pete

                              On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM, vanbeckump <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

                              Update on the o-ring search. I found a 2 1/2" x 1/8" black rubber one at an auto supply house that works fine...at least for three days of following seas and strong breezes. I'm convinced.

                              I will order a dozen in EPDM and deal them out to interested parties at cost.

                              Peter

                              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

                              > Does anyone know the correct size for the o-ring that holds the cockpit bilge pump door closed on my 1987 S-30 mk3? The one my marina sold me was too thin and then broke down in the sunlight anyway.
                              >
                              > allorings.com will sell me a bag of 25 EPDM o-rings size 3" I.D. x 1/8" cross section for $11.75. EPDM is the right material for sunlight but is this the right size?
                              >
                              > Then, does anyone need a ring or two? I doubt I will ever use all 25!
                              >
                              > Peter

                            • vanbeckump
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                                I will check that out. The bilge pump cover is 3" diameter but the 2 1/2" ring stretched worked well. That is what I ordered.

                                Peter

                                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

                                > Peter -
                                > That may be the correct size for water and holding tank inspection ports as
                                > well.
                                > Pete
                                >

                                > On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM, vanbeckump <vanbeckump@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > **
                                > >

                                > > Update on the o-ring search. I found a 2 1/2" x 1/8" black rubber one at
                                > > an auto supply house that works fine...at least for three days of following
                                > > seas and strong breezes. I'm convinced.
                                > >
                                > > I will order a dozen in EPDM and deal them out to interested parties at
                                > > cost.
                                > >
                                > > Peter
                                > >

                                > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Does anyone know the correct size for the o-ring that holds the cockpit
                                > > bilge pump door closed on my 1987 S-30 mk3? The one my marina sold me was
                                > > too thin and then broke down in the sunlight anyway.
                                > > >
                                > > > allorings.com will sell me a bag of 25 EPDM o-rings size 3" I.D. x 1/8"
                                > > cross section for $11.75. EPDM is the right material for sunlight but is
                                > > this the right size?
                                > > >
                                > > > Then, does anyone need a ring or two? I doubt I will ever use all 25!
                                > > >
                                > > > Peter

                              • Carter Brey
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 30, 2013

                                  The other day I measured the O-ring channel diameter at 3.25".

                                  I tried a 2 7/8" o-ring I had bought at my local hw store, but it was too thick and would not allow the cover to close. Obviously the crucual measurement is the actual thickness of the ring; it needs to sit firmly in the channel and protrude just enough to create sufficient friction without preventing closure.

                                  I can't believe I'm writing this.

                                  Carter Brey
                                  S28-II Delphine
                                  City Island, NY

                                  On May 30, 2013 5:10 PM, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

                                  I will check that out. The bilge pump cover is 3" diameter but the 2 1/2" ring stretched worked well. That is what I ordered.

                                  Peter

                                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

                                  > Peter -
                                  > That may be the correct size for water and holding tank inspection ports as
                                  > well.
                                  > Pete
                                  >

                                  > On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM, vanbeckump <vanbeckump@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > **
                                  > >

                                  > > Update on the o-ring search. I found a 2 1/2" x 1/8" black rubber one at
                                  > > an auto supply house that works fine...at least for three days of following
                                  > > seas and strong breezes. I'm convinced.
                                  > >
                                  > > I will order a dozen in EPDM and deal them out to interested parties at
                                  > > cost.
                                  > >
                                  > > Peter
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Does anyone know the correct size for the o-ring that holds the cockpit
                                  > > bilge pump door closed on my 1987 S-30 mk3? The one my marina sold me was
                                  > > too thin and then broke down in the sunlight anyway.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > allorings.com will sell me a bag of 25 EPDM o-rings size 3" I.D. x 1/8"
                                  > > cross section for $11.75. EPDM is the right material for sunlight but is
                                  > > this the right size?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Then, does anyone need a ring or two? I doubt I will ever use all 25!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Peter

                                • vanbeckump
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                                    Carter, you win the bad porn writing award. I'll send you a 2 1/2" x 1/8" ring if you send me your address off list.

                                    Peter

                                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey <carter.brey@...> wrote:

                                    > The other day I measured the O-ring channel diameter at 3.25".
                                    >
                                    > I tried a 2 7/8" o-ring I had bought at my local hw store, but it was too
                                    > thick and would not allow the cover to close. Obviously the crucual
                                    > measurement is the actual thickness of the ring; it needs to sit firmly in
                                    > the channel and protrude just enough to create sufficient friction without
                                    > preventing closure.
                                    >
                                    > I can't believe I'm writing this.
                                    >
                                    > Carter Brey
                                    > S28-II Delphine
                                    > City Island, NY
                                    > On May 30, 2013 5:10 PM, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > **
                                    > >

                                    > > I will check that out. The bilge pump cover is 3" diameter but the 2 1/2"
                                    > > ring stretched worked well. That is what I ordered.
                                    > >
                                    > > Peter
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Peter -
                                    > > > That may be the correct size for water and holding tank inspection ports
                                    > > as
                                    > > > well.
                                    > > > Pete

                                    > > at
                                    > > following

                                    > > cockpit
                                    > > was

                                    > > 1/8"
                                    > > is

                                  • Dave Evans
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 31, 2013
                                      I'd been looking for O-rings for the broken ones on our cowl vents. The site, http://www.theoringstore.com/, has a wide range and cheaper shipping than allorings. I do need the cockpit cover ring as well and await the final results!
                                      dge

                                      On 5/30/2013 3:11 PM, vanbeckump wrote:

                                      Update on the o-ring search. I found a 2 1/2" x 1/8" black rubber one at an auto supply house that works fine...at least for three days of following seas and strong breezes. I'm convinced.

                                      I will order a dozen in EPDM and deal them out to interested parties at cost.

                                      Peter

                                      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

                                      > Does anyone know the correct size for the o-ring that holds the cockpit bilge pump door closed on my 1987 S-30 mk3? The one my marina sold me was too thin and then broke down in the sunlight anyway.
                                      >
                                      > allorings.com will sell me a bag of 25 EPDM o-rings size 3" I.D. x 1/8" cross section for $11.75. EPDM is the right material for sunlight but is this the right size?
                                      >
                                      > Then, does anyone need a ring or two? I doubt I will ever use all 25!
                                      >
                                      > Peter

                                    • DAVID LOCHNER
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 31, 2013
                                        Theoringstore also carries the hard to find SuperLube grease that Peggy Hall recommends for head pumps.

                                        Nice find, Dave.

                                        Dave