Re: Blge pumps

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2013
      Len,

      I think you missed the flavor of my post. I agree -- even if it's "improper," increasing your capability is never a bad thing!

      Harry

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "walkabout193" <lbertaux@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I'll let the group know the results.
      >
      > Len
      >
      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sailor11767" <sailor11767@> wrote:
      > >
      > > ABYC strongly objects to any arrangement where the discharge is not up to the task of all connected pumps. In our typical Sabre, that means that if you add a bilge pump, you need to increase that classy stainless outlet, or add another hole.
      > >
      > > I disagree. I currently have 2 bilge pumps, a manual and electric, and all is well. I'm going to add a second electric, somewhat larger than the first, as a backup. Not the answer to massive flooding, but the answer to minor flooding exceeding the small pump -- and the answer to a failed smaller pump. My view is that if the larger one runs, then (a) the smaller one failed and (b) I'm not on board to use the manual pump. ABYC feels that the discharge should be able to handle all three. I feel that 3 pumps to an inadequate discharge is an improvement over 2 pumps to that same discharge!
      > >
      > > In your case, ABYC may disagree. But if you tee into an existing (but above requirements) electric pump discharge, you are making an improvement. Hard to complain when you are better than you were!
      > >
      > > Harry
      > >
      > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Barend Brink <barendb@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Len,
      > > >
      > > > I could not find anything on the Internet that say you cannot do it. I also did not see anything that says you can/should do it.
      > > >
      > > > I assume non-return valves for both pumps with a T.
      > > >
      > > > Here is an interesting article by Don Casey on Bilge Pump installation. Main point is that you can have a manual switch only for your second electric bilge pump: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/installing-bilge-pump.asp
      > > >
      > > > Regards
      > > > //Barend (Yen Shon, 1989 S34II $376)
      > > >

      > > > To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      > > > From: lbertaux@
      > > > Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 12:06:38 +0000
      > > > Subject: [SabreSailboat] Blge pumps

      > > > I'm installing a second manual pump accessed from the cabin interior to comply with ISAF offshore requirements. I'm planning on using an existing hose run from an electric bilge pump, one of two. I was going to remove that pump, but the question comes to mind that maybe it can be left in place? Does anyone know if both the electric pump and the manual pump can work on the same hose line? I don't see why they couldn't, the electric pump should continue to work I would methinks. Unless there is something in the diaphragm pump design that would preclude pumping through it. I'd appreciate anyone's guidance.

    • Joe
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
        Len,

        Where are you thinking of installing the manual pump inside the cabin? I've been thinking about the Bermuda race and would have to install one as well.

        Joe

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "walkabout193" <lbertaux@...> wrote:

        > I'm installing a second manual pump accessed from the cabin interior to comply with ISAF offshore requirements. I'm planning on using an existing hose run from an electric bilge pump, one of two. I was going to remove that pump, but the question comes to mind that maybe it can be left in place? Does anyone know if both the electric pump and the manual pump can work on the same hose line? I don't see why they couldn't, the electric pump should continue to work I would methinks. Unless there is something in the diaphragm pump design that would preclude pumping through it. I'd appreciate anyone's guidance.
        >
        > Len Bertaux
        > Walkabout S38 mkii

      • walkabout193
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
          Joe
          I've installed a bulkhead mounted whale gusher on the shower wall, facing aft, low. I've checked with tech support at whale and I can leave my 2000 GPH electric pump in place. It will pump through the valves on the gusher and loose some floe due to running through the gusher. But the gusher will be available for manual duty any time. The hose routing has been moved to follow the OEM cockpit manual pump. You need to remove the flooring in the starboard lazarette to access this location. My macerator pump is down there too. All my bilge pumps connect to the single aft discharge. The one thing I haven't done but will do at some point is install a vented loop.