Re: [SabreSailboat] Window/port removal

    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1, 2006
      Dave

       The trick on reinstallation is to dry fit the window, then put down an outline in 3M 3" blue masking tape. If need be, put it below the frame, and then cut around the corners with a utility knife.

      Remove the frame, wipe area with acetone, bed it (I used 4200) and install. You should get a bit of oozing all around.  After an hour or when the 4200 has skinned, you can remove the tape and have a clean install.

      I found the only leak I got was the channel glazing and not the frame to the cabin.

      Barry, not sure of the 28, but on my 32, it is foam between the inner and out skins. They have a tendency to crack and fall away.  If that is your problem, cut a piece of stiff styrofoam to put in there.'

      john

      David Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:
      Barry,

      Since I'm in the middle of a similar project on my S30. Let me try to answer your questions.

      On the Sabre Yachts website, there is a drawing of how the window is bedded and instructions for rebedding the port. This would be a good place to start.

      Removal is relatively straightforward. Remove the inside trim piece, break the seal around the port on the outside and use a wide putty knife and other devices to push the window and frame out. I used 2 putty knives one on the outside with a helper and one inside with a rubber mallet. I put the putty knife in the gap between the side of the cabin and the window frame and gently tapped the putty knife. I continued around the frame until the window popped out. Taking the window apart is straightforward.

      The most challenging part is removing all the old caulk. Sabre used GE Silpruf which is an adhesive silicone caulk that is used to hold plate glass windows in their frames. It is tenacious stuff. You'll have to order it from somewhere, I ordered mine through the local Fastenal store.

      After trial and error, I developed this system.

      First make a tool. I found a scrap piece of oak corner molding that I trimmed down to fit the channel. Then, with the frame clamped in a vise, gently heat the caulk with a heat gun, the caulk will soften and you can either trim most of it off with a razor knife or use your homemade caulk removing tool to get most of the caulk off. Then cover the remaining caulk with a liberal dose of Dap Caulk Remover (about $3.50 at Lowe's), ignore the warning to not leave it on for more than 6 hours. Let it sit over night in a cool place (my basement worked well) so it doesn't dry out too much. Then use your homemade caulk removing tool to scrape, rub, and peel off the old caulk. You will probably need to do this a couple of time to get the worst of it off. Not a difficult job, but it can be tedious and good opportunity to practice patience.

      To reassemble, you'll want to replace the vinyl glazing strip. There is only one source that I could find and they won't sell directly to you. You'll need to get a glass shop to order you a roll. The product is:  http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/D/D753M_11746.html?Origin=#MoreDetails Again, its pretty easy to reassemble the window.

      When I talked to the guy at the auto glass shop, he suggested that the butyl tape that the sabre drawing shows is unnecessary. The silpruf should be enough to get a good seal.

      I'll know by this time tomorrow how easy they are to reinstall.

      According to my S30 manual, the S30 and S28s have mahogany plywood under the stanchion bases.

      Good Luck.

      Dave
      Identity Crisis
      S30 #52
      Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

      On Jun 30, 2006, at 10:00 PM, Barry Wilson wrote:

      I discovered a soft spot in the core below the window/port over the galley of my S28.  I think I know the challenges of repairing the core.  However, how easy is it to remove and replace the window?  What challenges will have I have getting the window back in and sealed properly?  Once removed, must I proceed to the final repair, or can the window be replaced as part of an exploratory adventure?

      Assuming I can dig out the rotten core, didn't I read of a chemical of some sort that can be used to bolster core that isn't rotten but may have been damp at one point.

      And one final question.  In anticipation of some rebedding tasks, does anyone know if all the stanchions are through solid glass on the S28, or are some through wood cored deck?

      Thanks,

      Barry Wilson
      S28 II 400
      Slipstream

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • David Lochner
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1, 2006
        John,

        Thanks for the tip. That was basically my plan. Of course, now you have me thinking that using 4200 might be a better plan......

        On my ports, the outside bead of the vinyl channel glazing was cut off and a bead of silicone caulk was used instead. The silicone should give a better seal as it will adhere to both the frame and the glass.

        I'm not sure how structurally important the foam is. It mostly appears to be filler between the cabin liner and the out side of the cabin.

        Dave

        On Jul 1, 2006, at 6:01 AM, john kalinowski wrote:

[...]

      • Greg Allen
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 2, 2006
          Dave,

          I just replaced the 3/16 Lexan portlight over the Nav station with 1/4 safety glass and the local boatyard portlight guru suggested GE Silicon II to rebed the glass and life caulk to rebed the frame.

          It's amazing how much clear, clean glass adds to a boat.

          Greg
          On Jul 1, 2006, at 6:52 AM, David Lochner wrote:

[...]

          781-639-4688

        • David Lochner
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 3, 2006
            Greg,

            All my portlights are 1/8" safety glass. The clear lighting is much preferred over crazed and hazy plastic.

            I used the GE Silpruf to rebed the frames. Silpruf is interesting stuff. It has a much thicker consistency than the usual silicones that I've used and is definitely neater and easier to use than LifeCaulk. I'll have to go sailing to see if they leak.

            Dave

          • Barry Wilson
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 9, 2006
              David,
              I took one window out today and disassembeled it.  Your instructions were invaluable.

              John,
              Your idea of dry fitting and outlining in blue tape are spot on too.

              Thanks to both of you for taking the time to document.

              Barry

              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 10, 2006
                Barry,

                Thanks, no use reinventing the wheel!

                I can't remember if I followed up on the reinstallation.

                The Silpruf is not as gooey as most silicone caulks and was easy to work with. Certainly easier than Polysulfide. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the glazing bead of caulk applied as neatly as Sabre applied the original. I'll probably dig it out and try again. The 3M Marine Silicone caulk was easier to work with than the Boatlife Silicone, and the results show it.

                Dave

                !
[...]

              • gonesalng
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 7, 2006
                  Over the winter we sold our C&C 25. Which we had owned for almost 20
                  years. And after 5 months of searching from Maine to New York (And
                  almost going over to the "Dark Side") We finally purchased the
                  following

                  1985 Sabre 32 Aftcabin
                  Hull No 27
                  Was named Messing About and sailed out of Marion, MA

                  New Name Eureka!

                  Will be kept in Salem, MA

                  John & Gail Dionne
                  Beverly, MA
                • mike.merriman@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 7, 2006
                    I have a 1984 same model - hull #15 named Finesse - also on a mooring in Salem Harbor.  Let me know if you're interested in connecting.

                    Mike Merriman and Janet Gottschalk
                    previously of Beverly - just moved to Boxford.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 7, 2006
                      Congratulations John. Hope to be completing against you in the future.  Been a couple years.

                      Gee, If we can get Mike and you, plus turn up 2 more Sabre 32s in the area, we can have our own class on Thursday Night racing. A true "cruising" class.

                       I have already started needling the J-24 boys  we are going to push their start time out 5 minutes once I get enough S-32s for our own line...  :>)

                      Regards

                       john

                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 7, 2006
                          Congratulations and Welcome!!

                          Eric
                          Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                          West River, MD
                          http://spirit.the-millers.org

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "gonesalng" <gonesalng@...> wrote:

                          > Over the winter we sold our C&C 25. Which we had owned for almost 20
                          > years. And after 5 months of searching from Maine to New York (And
                          > almost going over to the "Dark Side") We finally purchased the
                          > following
                          >
                          > 1985 Sabre 32 Aftcabin
                          > Hull No 27
                          > Was named Messing About and sailed out of Marion, MA
                          >
                          > New Name Eureka!
                          >
                          > Will be kept in Salem, MA
                          >
                          > John & Gail Dionne
                          > Beverly, MA

                        • Bill Blalock
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 8, 2006
                            Welcome aboard!  The aft cabin models are Grrrrreat!
                            Bill B
                            S38mk1 #88 aft cabin "Surfer Girl"

                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                              See you out on the water - this weekend looks like a good one -
                              we are moored in Salem outside near the channel. We are one of
                              3 362's that I know of in Salem.

                              --Neil and Sue
                              Whisper
                              S362-266

                              On Aug 7, 2006, at 9:39 AM, gonesalng wrote:

                              > Over the winter we sold our C&C 25. Which we had owned for almost 20
                              > years. And after 5 months of searching from Maine to New York (And
                              > almost going over to the "Dark Side") We finally purchased the
                              > following
                              >
                              > 1985 Sabre 32 Aftcabin
                              > Hull No 27
                              > Was named Messing About and sailed out of Marion, MA
                              >
                              > New Name Eureka!
                              >
                              > Will be kept in Salem, MA
                              >
                              > John & Gail Dionne
                              > Beverly, MA
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              Neil Russell
                              10 Jordan Terrace
                              Wakefield MA 01880
                            • John Kalinowski
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 18, 2007
                                I just got an e-mail for John Devine at Palmer Cove YC that John Dionne
                                passed away from a heart attack last night. He had been at the club
                                earlier in the evening and showed no apparent stress.

                                I raced against John & Gail for many years in my p-26 against their C&C
                                25 on Thursday evenings. He was so proud when he bought his S-32 and
                                brought it to Salem. Will miss his calm temperment, and gracious smile
                                no matter what the environment. A class guy all around.

                                No word on arrangements yet.

                                Fair winds on your new journey John.
                                May you rest in peace.

                                john k.