Re: Sabre 34 sails

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
      Charlie,
      For SF Bay, a 130 is a fine winter sail from Nov.-Mar. but most of us use a 110 in the summer months. Even with the 110 I often put in 2-4 turns on the RF when the wind gets between 20-25kts. I think it pays to have a foam luff and the Harken type reefing system to roll up the belly a bit more than the foot and tack ends of the luff to maintain a better reefed shape. I have an older 110 without the foam and when the wind gets up I sometimes find it better to leave it unreefed when sailing close hauled because it gets a bad shape with big belly when furled and so heeling is not much reduced.

      Cheers,
      Martin

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
        Charlie,

        Depends on where on Lake Ontario you are sailing. Up in your neck of the woods when that thermal in Black River Bay pipes up, a 135 is plenty. Down here on the south shore a 135 is way underpowered. It is rare when we get 15-20, we either have 12 and under, way under, or 20 or more.

        Dave

        On Apr 3, 2013, at 6:55 PM, sailor11767 wrote:

        Dave is spot on. The boat probably caught your attention, and made you go through to this point, because it already seemed like an appropriate value -- perhaps even a "good" value. The reason it seems like a good value is because the seller, after considering the boat (with all it's faults -- and all used boats have fault) and comparing it to the competition, arrived at a price. If your survey finds things that he didn't know, then you have a different story.

        My house is 40 years old, and the bathrooms are in decent shape but original. I would price my house below the neighboring houses because of this. If a buyer wanted me to discount it again for replacing the bathrooms, he'd be out of luck!

        Harry