Re: Delaminated Rudder on Sabre 38-2

  • christopher
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3, 2013
      One other thing. You might want to get a second opinion on the rudder. I don't know about the MK 2 but on the earlier boats one side of the rudder will "sound out" fine and the other side will usually sound hollow or delaminated. It has to do with the rudder being laid up on its side.

      Good luck with the purchase,
      Christopher
      S30 #18 Aetheria (for sale)

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3, 2013
        give these guys a call

        Foss has been building nothing but rudders for 35 years.

        Regards

        john

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
          John,

          Have you had any experience with Foss?

          AJ

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
            I personally have not, but they are the go-to guys for those who race.
            They are also the vendor of choice for 2 dozen boat builders.

            Do a Google on them,or better check out the gear & repair forums on sailing anarchy.
            www.sailinganarchy.com
            It there is any dirt on them, it will be found at SA...

            > Foss has been building nothing but rudders for 35 years.
            > Regards
            > john

          • navip11
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
              great idea thanks.

              Spoke to Sabre, Glen is out until middle of next week. Evidently, I would be looking at "4-6k" for a new rudder and it is at a minimum of 8 weeks out!

              Yikes.

              The local yard is able to do it for half of that, just confirming time schedule now.