Re: [SabreSailboat] Sabre 34 sails

  • Charles Sidwa
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
      Slightly different issue but why a 110 head sail? I would think a 130, if Great Lakes or SF Bay, or a 150 if Long Island Sound or Chesapeake Bay, give this some more thought before you purchase.

      Charlie

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 3, 2013, at 12:54 PM, "Dave Lochner" <davelochner@...> wrote:

      Doug,

      Congratulations on your new boat!

      It is difficult to determine how much you might want to reduce your offer because of the sails. I think the first question is how were the sails listed? If the listing lead you to believe that the sails were in decent shape, then a reduction might be appropriate, on the other hand if there was no representation that the sails were anything but old then that should have been factored into the asking price.

      One of our brokers could weigh in here, but I think that changes in your offer should only occur when when a surveyor finds some significant issue that were not readily visible or identified by the seller.

      Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies brokers used sails.

      Dave

      On Apr 3, 2013, at 8:24 AM, d becker wrote:

      I have a deposit on a Sabre 34 and after having the local loft inspect three sets of sails - only one set 'might be serviceable'.

      Any suggestions as to what a reasonable reduction should be in the selling price? Local loft will deliver new 110 and battened main for around $4,000.

      Anyone know of a good place to locate a really good used set of sails?

      Thanks- Doug 207-282-3800

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
        Dave is spot on. The boat probably caught your attention, and made you go through to this point, because it already seemed like an appropriate value -- perhaps even a "good" value. The reason it seems like a good value is because the seller, after considering the boat (with all it's faults -- and all used boats have fault) and comparing it to the competition, arrived at a price. If your survey finds things that he didn't know, then you have a different story.

        My house is 40 years old, and the bathrooms are in decent shape but original. I would price my house below the neighboring houses because of this. If a buyer wanted me to discount it again for replacing the bathrooms, he'd be out of luck!

        Harry

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:

        > Doug,
        >
        > Congratulations on your new boat!
        >
        > It is difficult to determine how much you might want to reduce your offer because of the sails. I think the first question is how were the sails listed? If the listing lead you to believe that the sails were in decent shape, then a reduction might be appropriate, on the other hand if there was no representation that the sails were anything but old then that should have been factored into the asking price.
        >
        > One of our brokers could weigh in here, but I think that changes in your offer should only occur when when a surveyor finds some significant issue that were not readily visible or identified by the seller.
        >
        > Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies brokers used sails.
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > On Apr 3, 2013, at 8:24 AM, d becker wrote:
        >
        > > I have a deposit on a Sabre 34 and after having the local loft inspect three sets of sails - only one set 'might be serviceable'.
        > >
        > > Any suggestions as to what a reasonable reduction should be in the selling price? Local loft will deliver new 110 and battened main for around $4,000.
        > >
        > > Anyone know of a good place to locate a really good used set of sails?
        > >
        > > Thanks- Doug 207-282-3800

      • Martin
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
          Charlie,
          For SF Bay, a 130 is a fine winter sail from Nov.-Mar. but most of us use a 110 in the summer months. Even with the 110 I often put in 2-4 turns on the RF when the wind gets between 20-25kts. I think it pays to have a foam luff and the Harken type reefing system to roll up the belly a bit more than the foot and tack ends of the luff to maintain a better reefed shape. I have an older 110 without the foam and when the wind gets up I sometimes find it better to leave it unreefed when sailing close hauled because it gets a bad shape with big belly when furled and so heeling is not much reduced.

          Cheers,
          Martin

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
            Charlie,

            Depends on where on Lake Ontario you are sailing. Up in your neck of the woods when that thermal in Black River Bay pipes up, a 135 is plenty. Down here on the south shore a 135 is way underpowered. It is rare when we get 15-20, we either have 12 and under, way under, or 20 or more.

            Dave