Re: Folding prop for sale

  • christopher
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
      Partially correct. Yes the Westerbekes are Right Hand props. However the Volvo MD7A and I think the MD11C are all Left Hand.

      The props on Volvo powered Sabres all exit on the Starboard side of the boat not the Port side like the Westerbeke powered boats. That's why all of the early Sabres have the galley on the Starboard side. Because they were Volvo powered. When they changed to Westerbeke in the gen 2 30 and 28 they reangled the engine so the prop exits on the Port side but never retooled for the galley and quarter berth. It's the main reason that stuffing box access is so difficult on those boats. The stuffing box is a breeze to access on mine since it's right next to the sail locker.

      Regards,
      Christopher
      S30 #18 Aetheria

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
        Yes indeed. My Volvo MD11C is left hand. Don't know what Glen was thinking of, as many older Sabre's are powered with Volvo's.

        Harry
        '79 S34-I #063
        Mill Creek, Annapolis

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "christopher" <cercole@...> wrote:

        > Partially correct. Yes the Westerbekes are Right Hand props. However the Volvo MD7A and I think the MD11C are all Left Hand.
        >
        > The props on Volvo powered Sabres all exit on the Starboard side of the boat not the Port side like the Westerbeke powered boats. That's why all of the early Sabres have the galley on the Starboard side. Because they were Volvo powered. When they changed to Westerbeke in the gen 2 30 and 28 they reangled the engine so the prop exits on the Port side but never retooled for the galley and quarter berth. It's the main reason that stuffing box access is so difficult on those boats. The stuffing box is a breeze to access on mine since it's right next to the sail locker.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Christopher
        > S30 #18 Aetheria
        >

        > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "walkabout193" <lbertaux@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Pete
        > >
        > > I recently confirmed my prop rotation with Glen who stated they have not sold a boat with a LH prop.....
        > >
        > > Len Bertaux
        > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > A word of caution - I believe Westerbekes and Yanmars are RH (clockwise,
        > > > facing forward) shaft rotation.
        > > > Pete

      • Art
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
          Whew, that's a relief. I thought I would need another excuse for my sometimes less than stellar docking manuevers. As those close by are ducking for cover, I sheepishly mumble "prop offset to starboard with left hand rotation" and fight my way in. MD7A and going strong.

          Art
          Trinity S30

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "christopher" <cercole@...> wrote:

          > Partially correct. Yes the Westerbekes are Right Hand props. However the Volvo MD7A and I think the MD11C are all Left Hand.
          >
          > The props on Volvo powered Sabres all exit on the Starboard side of the boat not the Port side like the Westerbeke powered boats. That's why all of the early Sabres have the galley on the Starboard side. Because they were Volvo powered. When they changed to Westerbeke in the gen 2 30 and 28 they reangled the engine so the prop exits on the Port side but never retooled for the galley and quarter berth. It's the main reason that stuffing box access is so difficult on those boats. The stuffing box is a breeze to access on mine since it's right next to the sail locker.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Christopher
          > S30 #18 Aetheria
          >

          > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "walkabout193" <lbertaux@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Pete
          > >
          > > I recently confirmed my prop rotation with Glen who stated they have not sold a boat with a LH prop.....
          > >
          > > Len Bertaux
          > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > A word of caution - I believe Westerbekes and Yanmars are RH (clockwise,
          > > > facing forward) shaft rotation.
          > > > Pete

        • Phil
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
            My 34 Mk I, which originally had a MD11C, has a LH prop.
            When I re powered, I kept the LH rotation (needed a trans to match).
            I believe all the Volvo powered 34s were set up this way (shaft exits stbd side).
            Phil Horn
            Scimitar
            S34 #67

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "walkabout193" <lbertaux@...> wrote:

            > Pete
            >
            > I recently confirmed my prop rotation with Glen who stated they have not sold a boat with a LH prop.....
            >
            > Len Bertaux
            > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@> wrote:
            > >
            > > A word of caution - I believe Westerbekes and Yanmars are RH (clockwise,
            > > facing forward) shaft rotation.
            > > Pete
            > >

            > > On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM, christopher <cercole@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > Hello All,
            > > > I have a brand new never installed Martec MK III folding prop I would like
            > > > to sell.
            > > >
            > > > It is a LH 14d x 12p for a 1" shaft. Asking $550.00 plus shipping.
            > > >
            > > > It was sized for my S30 with a MD7A. I expect it would work well on either
            > > > a S30 or S28. I don't know how well it would work on a S34.
            > > >
            > > > I'll add a picture of it to the Aetheria folder.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Christopher
            > > > S30 #18 Aetheria

          • walkabout193
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
              I checked my old email from Glen, what he said referred to all Westwerbeke's that came out of the shop were RH. Sorry for the confusion.
              Len