Re: [SabreSailboat] Faux teak steps

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
      Sure, there are some minor challenges for machine screws running through drilled holes.  But compared with the myriad of other problems keeping elegant vessels seaworthy and handsome, these are small potatoes.

      On 3/27/2013 7:22 PM, john kalinowski wrote:

      Jim

      Though upside down, the rain hits the s/s circular rung, flows around to the groove in the backside of the teak rung.
      There it finds the 2 holes where the screw goes into the rung.
      Now you have moisture seeping in the wood. Just like that toe rail..

      I got 7 years on my varnish job.
      Looking to strip and redo it if time permits this spring.
      So many projects, so little time..

      john

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
        There are two types of varnish.  That which is applied by the owner and that which is applied with a checkbook.  The varnish on my boat is owner applied and causes me too much anguish when it fails, which it has.  I will become a begrudging cetol natural convert for the coaming this spring.  Sigh...

        Barry Wilson
        Slipstream S28 #400

        From: Jim Starkey mailto:jim@...
        To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 6:38 PM

[...]

      • Michael Turner
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
          Several members of the Chesapeake Bay Sabre Association bough set from WhiteWater. I am very happy with them. As per an earlier post, they are out of the way, and you really can't tell from more than a few feet away.

          Regards,

          Michael Turner
          .
        • josrulz_2001
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
            I know I already chimed in mentioning that I had purchased from White Water Marine as well. I should add that just yesterday afternoon (coincidentally) I also got really great service from them. I won't bore you with the story, but you can email me off-list if you want to know. Suffice to say I've had a couple transactions (relatively small orders) with them and I've been pleased.

            -Jim
            1984 Sabre 34, #207

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
              One of the reasons that I raised the issue is that Whitewater is refurbing my stanchions. I have to agree on the customer service piece. Tom asked if I wanted the newer tapered closed tops instead of the old style ring tops. Same price.
              Pete

              On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM, josrulz_2001 <josrulz_2001@...> wrote:

              I know I already chimed in mentioning that I had purchased from White Water Marine as well. I should add that just yesterday afternoon (coincidentally) I also got really great service from them. I won't bore you with the story, but you can email me off-list if you want to know. Suffice to say I've had a couple transactions (relatively small orders) with them and I've been pleased.

              -Jim
              1984 Sabre 34, #207

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Michael Turner <mturner220@...> wrote:

              > Several members of the Chesapeake Bay Sabre Association bough set from WhiteWater. I am very happy with them. As per an earlier post, they are out of the way, and you really can't tell from more than a few feet away.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Michael Turner
              > .

            • DAVID LOCHNER
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
                Looks like Whitewater did a fair amount of business from the Sabre list this year. They refurbished my stanchions too. Very good service, good quality work, reasonably priced.

                Dave

                On Mar 28, 2013, at 12:19 PM, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

                One of the reasons that I raised the issue is that Whitewater is refurbing my stanchions. I have to agree on the customer service piece. Tom asked if I wanted the newer tapered closed tops instead of the old style ring tops. Same price.
                Pete

                On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM, josrulz_2001 <josrulz_2001@...> wrote:

                I know I already chimed in mentioning that I had purchased from White Water Marine as well. I should add that just yesterday afternoon (coincidentally) I also got really great service from them. I won't bore you with the story, but you can email me off-list if you want to know. Suffice to say I've had a couple transactions (relatively small orders) with them and I've been pleased.

                -Jim
                1984 Sabre 34, #207

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Michael Turner <mturner220@...> wrote:

                > Several members of the Chesapeake Bay Sabre Association bough set from WhiteWater. I am very happy with them. As per an earlier post, they are out of the way, and you really can't tell from more than a few feet away.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Michael Turner
                > .

              • josrulz_2001
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
                  Mine look pretty much the same as original. The dimensions are like 1/16" off, if I recall correctly, because of the stock sizes of the faux lumber. But you can't see the difference. I posted a few pics of one of the steps in album "Valinor..." just so you can see what they look like. I don't know if they vary from year to year, but White Water matched based on pics of my originals.

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

                  > One of the reasons that I raised the issue is that Whitewater is refurbing
                  > my stanchions. I have to agree on the customer service piece. Tom asked if
                  > I wanted the newer tapered closed tops instead of the old style ring tops.
                  > Same price.
                  > Pete
                  >

                  > On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM, josrulz_2001 <josrulz_2001@...>wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > I know I already chimed in mentioning that I had purchased from White
                  > > Water Marine as well. I should add that just yesterday afternoon
                  > > (coincidentally) I also got really great service from them. I won't bore
                  > > you with the story, but you can email me off-list if you want to know.
                  > > Suffice to say I've had a couple transactions (relatively small orders)
                  > > with them and I've been pleased.
                  > >
                  > > -Jim
                  > > 1984 Sabre 34, #207
                  > >

                  > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Michael Turner <mturner220@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Several members of the Chesapeake Bay Sabre Association bough set from
                  > > WhiteWater. I am very happy with them. As per an earlier post, they are out
                  > > of the way, and you really can't tell from more than a few feet away.
                  > > >
                  > > > Regards,
                  > > >
                  > > > Michael Turner
                  > > > .

                • vanbeckump
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 29, 2013
                    TIQ?

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 29, 2013
                      Tops in Quality, used to be the supplier for Sabre and other boat builders. Now out of business, Whitewater bought their stock and plans.