Re: [SabreSailboat] New Sails for S28-II

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2013
      Congratulations on your "new" boat.  The Annapolis area has a full range of sailmakers, you may want to check with a couple of the smaller names as well.
      For a production boat that's been around as long as the S28, the specs the sailmakers have are right on the money, but a visit to the boat to double check and look for improvements or "improvements" that may have been added is a good step.
      If you don't need much custom work, you can check North Sails Direct, where you do the legwork and measuring, receive less hand-holding and advice, but save money on basic sails. http://www.northsailsdirect.com/Default.aspx
      For the Bay, I would recommend a 2 full + 2 partial batten, loose footed main with two reefs and a cunningham.  A 135-140% roller furling jib is a really good all around sail for the Bay.
      Don't forget Bacon's for used sails. You never know what they might have.
      Pete

      On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM, sabre3528 <sabre3528@...> wrote:

      Hello All...

      I'm a new owner of a '78 Sabre 28MarkII. Not my first boat but first sailboat. I got her for a song and her condition reflects it. Fortunately the surveyor says most of the issues are cosmetic. She has fairly new standing rigging but she needs running rigging and sails badly. I have some questions that I will post in separate threads.

      She's currently on the hard in Mayo, MD. I received estimates for a main and a 140 Genoa from Quantum and North at the Annapolis Sailboat Show. They were comparable. Both estimates are for `stock' Dacron cruising sails which I believe is all I need. Both companies have a local presence and will come out to measure. Both are pretty large production shops.

      I've looked through the forum and see that most of the recent discussions are for larger boats. My questions: 1) Are `stock' sail specs that they pull out of the computer sufficient? 2) Is one company favored over another? 3) Is there another company that produces a quality product at a lower price?

      As a new member I would like to thank you all for sharing your expertise, experience, and opinions so freely. It makes it possible for us newbies to take on the challenge of owning a good old boat.

      Thanks in advance…Paul P

    • Dave Evans

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
          I have a full set of Omar sails on my boat and am very happy with them. In the interest of full disclosure, I am also a friend of Omar (Paul Lockwood) and race with him regularly. I am also a fan of supporting local small business.

           Lee
          Cloud Nine
          Sabre 38 MK I

          Sent from my iPad

[...]

        • tsaiapex25
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
            Paul,

            I am happy with the loose footed main and 130 furling jib on my 1983 Sabre 28, MK III made by Quantum at Annapolis. The furling jib has foam luff so it maintains its shape nicely when furled. It also has marks on the foot at 100% and 75% furled. The main has two reefing points and batten pockets are well enforced.

            Sabre 28s went through 3 rigging configuration changes so having someone come out to measure will ensure you get an optimal set of sails. It is more than 2 pieces of triangular clothes, the jib track position, sheeting angles, topping lift, and how you will use the boat all play a role.

            It is easy for me to say this because these relatively new sails came with the boat (thanks Jeff B.). Stock sails work fine too if getting the most out of these sails are not critical since this is your first sailboat.

            Jeff T.
            Sabre 28 III, Abacus
            New Bern, NC

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sabre3528" <sabre3528@...> wrote:

            > Hello All...
            >
            > I'm a new owner of a '78 Sabre 28MarkII. Not my first boat but first sailboat. I got her for a song and her condition reflects it. Fortunately the surveyor says most of the issues are cosmetic. She has fairly new standing rigging but she needs running rigging and sails badly. I have some questions that I will post in separate threads.
            >
            > She's currently on the hard in Mayo, MD. I received estimates for a main and a 140 Genoa from Quantum and North at the Annapolis Sailboat Show. They were comparable. Both estimates are for `stock' Dacron cruising sails which I believe is all I need. Both companies have a local presence and will come out to measure. Both are pretty large production shops.
            >
            > I've looked through the forum and see that most of the recent discussions are for larger boats. My questions: 1) Are `stock' sail specs that they pull out of the computer sufficient? 2) Is one company favored over another? 3) Is there another company that produces a quality product at a lower price?
            >
            > As a new member I would like to thank you all for sharing your expertise, experience, and opinions so freely. It makes it possible for us newbies to take on the challenge of owning a good old boat.
            >
            > Thanks in advance…Paul P

          • Joe
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 2013
              Paul,

              I would suggest you pick your sail maker based on service. That is you should feel comfortable with the person your dealing with, and what they are promising you. I purchased my first and only set of new sails 4 years ago from Evolution (formerly Renegade) in Easton, MD. The guy I worked with then has since moved on. But he came out to measure, discuss what I wanted to do (coastal cruising, not racing, max life), he had a hand in building the sails (yes they were cut and built at their loft), and he delivered them and came out for a sail with me. I have been very happy with them.

              That being said, you should be able to tell them your still learning, sail on the northern Chesapeake, race/no race, and you want to get the designed performance out of your Sabre. I don't think "stock" is the best term, probably more like "most compromising shape, weight, and features" would be better. You can go with that and be fine, but if you don't have any intentions of sailing to windward in anything above 15 knots true, tell them. If you want to be competitive around the buoys, tell them. Either way they should be able to educate you on what shape they chose and trim for the sail they built.

              They should definitely measure your boat, and do a quick check of your rig tune before they do it. Forestay tension, rake, boom position, and mast pre-bend being important.

              last thought, sails are like outboard engines....I have never met anyone who purchased less than the max rated HP for their boat and was totally satisfied. don't skimp on the sails, it's a sailboat!

              Joe
              s/v Voila
              S38mkII #174

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sabre3528" <sabre3528@...> wrote:

              > Hello All...
              >
              > I'm a new owner of a '78 Sabre 28MarkII. Not my first boat but first sailboat. I got her for a song and her condition reflects it. Fortunately the surveyor says most of the issues are cosmetic. She has fairly new standing rigging but she needs running rigging and sails badly. I have some questions that I will post in separate threads.
              >
              > She's currently on the hard in Mayo, MD. I received estimates for a main and a 140 Genoa from Quantum and North at the Annapolis Sailboat Show. They were comparable. Both estimates are for `stock' Dacron cruising sails which I believe is all I need. Both companies have a local presence and will come out to measure. Both are pretty large production shops.
              >
              > I've looked through the forum and see that most of the recent discussions are for larger boats. My questions: 1) Are `stock' sail specs that they pull out of the computer sufficient? 2) Is one company favored over another? 3) Is there another company that produces a quality product at a lower price?
              >
              > As a new member I would like to thank you all for sharing your expertise, experience, and opinions so freely. It makes it possible for us newbies to take on the challenge of owning a good old boat.
              >
              > Thanks in advance…Paul P

            • Aongus Flood
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 29, 2013
                http://www.baconsails.com/sailsearch

                On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Joe <cbr_deuce@...> wrote:

> [...]

                > She's currently on the hard in Mayo, MD. I received estimates for a main and a 140 Genoa from Quantum and North at the Annapolis Sailboat Show. They were comparable. Both estimates are for `stock' Dacron cruising sails which I believe is all I need. Both companies have a local presence and will come out to measure. Both are pretty large production shops.
                >
                > I've looked through the forum and see that most of the recent discussions are for larger boats. My questions: 1) Are `stock' sail specs that they pull out of the computer sufficient? 2) Is one company favored over another? 3) Is there another company that produces a quality product at a lower price?
                >
                > As a new member I would like to thank you all for sharing your expertise, experience, and opinions so freely. It makes it possible for us newbies to take on the challenge of owning a good old boat.

              • sabre3528
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 13 6:31 AM
                  Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies. I decided to go with Quantum in Annapolis. I spoke with two sales guys, Jason Currie and David Flynn as well as one of the designers named Doug. Jason was out the next day to measure. It was truly a learning experience. Pete and Jeff, their design was exactly what you suggested. I went with a 135% genoa.

                  One of the other sail makers I spoke with actually recommended Bacon's for a used asym spinnaker when the time comes.

                  "Don't skimp on the sails - it's a sailboat!" will go on my workshop wall. Thanks again all.
                  paul p