Re: [SabreSailboat] Mast Steps

  • Richard Coerse
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2013
      Bob,
      Here's a guide for step spacing:

      To get the correct spacing sit on a chair - with your foot on the floor, and your lower leg at a right angle to the floor - measure the distance from the floor to the underside of the thigh - that will give you the minimum distance between steps, then measure the distance from the floor to the top of your thigh - that will give you an indication of the maximum distance between steps.  now mark off the placement of each step remembering that as we age we may find the shorter distance a bit more to our liking.  You will need two opposing steps at positions where work may be required eg. the top of the mast, radar etc.. At the same time  fix a pad eye at positions where you can "clip on" your safety harness while working.

      bmarth12 wrote:

      I have my mast down and I plan to install mast steps on my S30 MkII. I made the steps using 1/8" X 1 1/4" aluminum 6061 bars. I will mount each step with four 1/4" aluminum rivets. I plan to use fold-up steps on the bottom two or three steps to avoid banging my head. The question is, has anyone done this project? Any advise/recommendations would be helpful.

      Bob Marthaler
      Shimako S30 MkII
      Kenosha, WI

    • Bob Marthaler