Re: [SabreSailboat] halyard length

  • Bill Blalock
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 22, 2013

      Hmmm. Air draft is 55', minus 4' of freeboard, x 2, plus maybe 15' to run aft. Ish. I might have better numbers at home.
      Bill B

      On Mar 22, 2013 1:17 PM, "ssfein" <ssfein@...> wrote:

      Does anyone know the length of the main halyard for a 38-1 including distance to the cockpit
      winch
      thanks
      ss

    • John Kelleher
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 22, 2013

        I found a calculator at sailboatowners.com that worked pretty well.  I confirmed against actual boat dimensions and added 5' for good measure (I am much better at shortening rope than streching it).  For a MkI 30 I used 110' to get to the cockpit.

        John
        Imagine

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 22, 2013
          Mine's at home in the garage. I can measure it for you tomorrow.

          Len Bertaux
          Walkabout S38 MKII

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "ssfein" <ssfein@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know the length of the main halyard for a 38-1 including distance to the cockpit
          > winch
          > thanks
          > ss

        • walkabout193
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 22, 2013
            John

            You must have upgraded to the tall rig.

            Len Bertaux

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Kelleher <johnmkelleher@...> wrote:

            > I found a calculator at sailboatowners.com that worked pretty well. I
            > confirmed against actual boat dimensions and added 5' for good measure (I
            > am much better at shortening rope than streching it). For a MkI 30 I used
            > 110' to get to the cockpit.
            >
            > John
            > Imagine
            > On Mar 22, 2013 1:56 PM, "Bill Blalock" <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hmmm. Air draft is 55', minus 4' of freeboard, x 2, plus maybe 15' to run
            > > aft. Ish. I might have better numbers at home.
            > > Bill B
            > > On Mar 22, 2013 1:17 PM, "ssfein" <ssfein@...> wrote:
            > >
            > >> **
            > >>

            > >> Does anyone know the length of the main halyard for a 38-1 including
            > >> distance to the cockpit
            > >> winch
            > >> thanks
            > >> ss

          • mhrutstein
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 22, 2013
              Was there really a "tall rig" for the 38-I? I didn't see anything about that in the manual, although it gives detailed specs for both the full keel and centerboard versions.

              I am getting ready to replace all the running rigging on my 38-I this spring, so I would be EXTREMELY GRATEFUL if you would publish your findings. Otherwise I'll guess I'll be dragging the old lines to West Marine!

              Mike
              S/V TREASURE
            • walkabout193
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 22, 2013
                Mike

                My poor attempt at a joke regarding the S34.....I'll measure my main halyard, which is led to the cockpit, and the jib/spin halyards which are cleated at the base of the mast. I believe I bought 115' jib halyards (V-100) but will double check.

                Len

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 22, 2013
                  That calculator at Sailboatowners.com is VERY sketchy. I would not recommend using it. I tried it out on my mainsheet a while back, and found that it recommended an 80' length of 1/2" line for my 34-I. The actual line I used was 50' of 3/8. Huge difference! I don't think it is even good as a rough idea, let alone something to buy off of. I think it uses some sort of calculation algorithm, without much (if any) boat specific data.

                  Oh, but SBO in general? -- GREAT folks! Just don't use the calculator.

                  Harry
                  Analysis
                  '79 S34-I #063
                  Mill Creek, Annapolis

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 22, 2013
                    Huh, seems that SBO has even better customer support than I thought! When I found that error, I sent them an email (that's how I was able to quote the info below). They said "we'll work on that." Well, I just went to look, and found:
                    * They say "we can't quote mainsheets, please call"
                    * Their halyard number was spot on.

                    OK, I'll admit. The calculator is pretty good. I still suggest caution...

                    Harry

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sailor11767" <sailor11767@...> wrote:

                    > That calculator at Sailboatowners.com is VERY sketchy. I would not recommend using it. I tried it out on my mainsheet a while back, and found that it recommended an 80' length of 1/2" line for my 34-I. The actual line I used was 50' of 3/8. Huge difference! I don't think it is even good as a rough idea, let alone something to buy off of. I think it uses some sort of calculation algorithm, without much (if any) boat specific data.
                    >
                    > Oh, but SBO in general? -- GREAT folks! Just don't use the calculator.
                    >
                    > Harry
                    > Analysis
                    > '79 S34-I #063
                    > Mill Creek, Annapolis
                    >
                    > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Kelleher <johnmkelleher@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I found a calculator at sailboatowners.com that worked pretty well. I
                    > > confirmed against actual boat dimensions and added 5' for good measure (I
                    > > am much better at shortening rope than streching it). For a MkI 30 I used
                    > > 110' to get to the cockpit.
                    > >
                    > > John
                    > > Imagine
                    > > On Mar 22, 2013 1:56 PM, "Bill Blalock" <mookiesurfs@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > **
                    > > >

                    > > > Hmmm. Air draft is 55', minus 4' of freeboard, x 2, plus maybe 15' to run
                    > > > aft. Ish. I might have better numbers at home.
                    > > > Bill B

                  • mhrutstein
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 22, 2013
                      I guess I haven' been here long enough to get the inside Sabre jokes!

                      Mike
                    • stebenb9567
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
                        Suggest you get a quote for your halyards from Rigging Only...good service & prices!

                        Steve
                        Wind Rush II
                        S38-I

                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mhrutstein" <mhrutstein@...> wrote:

                        > Was there really a "tall rig" for the 38-I? I didn't see anything about that in the manual, although it gives detailed specs for both the full keel and centerboard versions.
                        >
                        > I am getting ready to replace all the running rigging on my 38-I this spring, so I would be EXTREMELY GRATEFUL if you would publish your findings. Otherwise I'll guess I'll be dragging the old lines to West Marine!
                        >
                        > Mike
                        > S/V TREASURE

                      • Steven Fein
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
                          The reason for my question is that I have been having trouble with bagging on the lower part of the luff of the main.
                          My sailmaker has DX it as a stretchy halyard. So I am looking to replace it with Stay Set x or given that there has been negative comment on Stay Set maybe go to VPC or Samsons XLS
                          SS
                        • Joe
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
                            My manual has 127' for the 38mkII spinaker halyard led aft.

                            I have XLS halyards now, It's too stretchy. I am going to splice in amsteel blue.
                            I would suggest XLS Extra T or MLX.

                            Defender's sale is on now.

                            Joe

                            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Steven Fein <ssfein@...> wrote:

                            > The reason for my question is that I have been having trouble with bagging on the lower part of the luff of the main.
                            > My sailmaker has DX it as a stretchy halyard. So I am looking to replace it with Stay Set x or given that there has been negative comment on Stay Set maybe go to VPC or Samsons XLS
                            > SS

                          • walkabout193
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 24, 2013
                              Just measured the halyards: main halyard led to the cabin top winch is 115', the jib halyards are not led to the cockpit and they are 106'.