Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: The results of an inspection by my rigger

  • Jules Bender
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
      Chris, thanks for your feedback.....Jules

      On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:18 AM, christopher <cercole@...> wrote:

      We replaced the standing rigging on our S30 last winter. I dropped and re-stepped the mast. The rigger came to our club removed the rigging and the crane at the mast head. He replaced the rigging with 316 wire swaged fittings and chrome bronze turnbuckles. He did the forestay with a mechanical terminal and snaked it through our Schaefer furler. He also replaced the VHF cable and made a custom mount for our spinnaker block at the mast head. This one has a bit more reach than the original which we were having trouble with. I replaced the mast head sheaves with ones from Zepherworks, the VHF antenna, the spinnaker halyard block and the topping lift. I also pulled all the chain plates and had them inspected. Total bill was around $2200 - 2400. And I rebedded the mast step on the deck.

      -Christopher
      S30 #18 Aetheria (Currently for sale)

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

      > I own a 1993 Sabre 362 and have my rigger check out the rigging once a
      > year.....As result of his inspection, he thought that I should redo all my
      > shrouds and also mentioned it would be a good time to replace my roller
      > furler...here are the rough prices he came up with to replace all the
      > shrouds and their connectors, about $9K, repaint the mast and boom $5K, and
      > replace the furler another 2.5k.....that's $16.5k, my question is those of
      > you that own Sabres for 20 + years have you replaced all your rigging,
      > also are there places that specialize in this kind of work...Jules Bender
      > 362/110

    • Joe
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
        Interesting claim "stuff works so good that the bearings won't even spin" I don't know, I can see that if you don't first properly clean it, any surface that is, McLube will almost certainly keep the dirt and grime right were it is. That would definitely be bad. I never use it to loosen anything up. Only after it is clean, dry, and free moving does it get a spray.

        This discussion has reminded me of the scene in National Lampoon's Vacation of the super sled wax. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rMcRJVY1-0

        Can you spay this stuff on Hypalon?

        Joe

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
          Harken actually does make the claim that McLube is so slippery it will prevent the balls from rolling. Maybe Clark's stuff in the video was a prototype.
          Anyway, the preferred (and explainable) maintenance for Delrin ball bearing gear is to first squirt a detergent/water solution into the bearings and work the furler/traveler car/block with no load.  Rinse with fresh water. repeat until it rinses clear.  Either stop here, or let it dry, then use Harken/McLube One Drop, which is not a lubricant, but a sealer that repels water, salt and dirt. In reality, I think it just repels water which attracts the other stuff.  Regular flushing w/ fresh water can't hurt either.
          That's my story and I'm sticking to it, 'cause if anything happened to that plate in my head, my hair would never look right.  Thanks, Joe.

          Pete