Re: [SabreSailboat] Emergency Tiller

  • Dan Trainor
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 18, 2013
      Nice job Greg.  Emergency Tiller.

      On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Greg McMahon <gmcmoose1@...> wrote:

      I had to use one on my S28 10 years ago. My brothers and I were sailing across Long Island Sound in 30 knots and confused seas. The drive wheel on my Edson steering broke in to pieces. After flogging about for a few minutes and some damage to my jib, we managed to get the emergency tiller in place. Took some getting used to. It was very hard to turn. I had to lean into it to move it and every small adjustment resulted in a significant course change. After a while I got the hang of it and was able to dock in tough conditions with no problem. Our long trip became much shorter but we continued our trip locally. The drive wheel was replaced (hefty bill) and the emergency tiller is back on the shelf where I hope stays.

      Greg
      S28 Journey

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 17, 2013, at 10:11 PM, Jim Starkey <jim@...> wrote:

      Has anyone ever tried steering with a stock emergency tiller?  Seems more likely to knock your teeth out than direct the boat in any given direction.

      The Sabre emergency tiller is an excellent argument for a below deck autopilot with a dedicated tiller arm.

      On 3/17/2013 6:59 PM, THOMASJ wrote:

      I'm going through my "new" 1985 S34 - changed holding tank hoses, water hoses, vents, new head. Now looking for the emergency tiller - manual says its in one of the lockers?? Where are they stored??

      Thanks!

      --
      Dan