Re: The results of an inspection by my rigger

    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 18, 2013
      Check out Secosouth.com for rigging. All new standing rigging for a single spreader 34-I is around $1K, including turnbuckles. They have a nice online quoting tool you can play with. Your 362 couldn't be double the price.

      If the mast is out, the labor is trivial -- half a day tops, and not very technical.

      Harry

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

      > I own a 1993 Sabre 362 and have my rigger check out the rigging once a
      > year.....As result of his inspection, he thought that I should redo all my
      > shrouds and also mentioned it would be a good time to replace my roller
      > furler...here are the rough prices he came up with to replace all the
      > shrouds and their connectors, about $9K, repaint the mast and boom $5K, and
      > replace the furler another 2.5k.....that's $16.5k, my question is those of
      > you that own Sabres for 20 + years have you replaced all your rigging,
      > also are there places that specialize in this kind of work...Jules Bender
      > 362/110

    • Jules Bender
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 18, 2013
        Ray, Is the cost for the standing rigging, just materials or does it include the cost for a rigger ?   thanks Jules

        On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM, rayjanine2002 <rayjanine@...> wrote:

        Hi Jules:

        After 20 years especially on salt water it's time to change the standing rigging and furler. I changed mine last year. My prices were:

        1. Genoa furler Model MKIV Unit 2 - $2649
        2. Standing rigging (lowers and headstay including three turnbuckles) and install furler - $2500
        3. Replaced remaining standing rigging (uppers, intermediates, and backstay including backstay legs and all new turnbuckles) - $1500
        4. Repainting the mast is really not that difficult as long as the yard will let you work on the mast for about 3 weeks (time it takes to prep it and paint it and then not move it until the paint drys really well) -Cost will be under a $1000 and no need for a spray gun with the new products that Awlgrip sells. I already posted on how to do it.
        5. Sheave replacements are $56 each by Ed of Zephywerks.com total for three sheaves with shipping $178. Removing and replacing the sheaves is really easy. See my photos in my album.

        So $16k is a bit steep for what needs to be done. I would look into using another yard and even an autobody shop to repaint your mast. Please also note that removing and replacing the standing rigging other than the furler is also really easy. You could remove them, bring them to a local rigging shop or just order new ones via riggingonly.com and save a bundle.

        Best of luck,

        Ray

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 18, 2013
          Rigging Only will do excellant work and their 110 ton rotary press makes beautiful swages.
          Just attach pieces of electrical/rigging tape to each one specifiing which stay it is.  They attach the new one to the old one and now you know what stay goes where.

          If you have a spare day, you can use Northman fittings and build them yourself.  But it will cost you the same as RO building it for you.  You will need to do the forestay anyways since it has to be completed after you have assembled the furler and slid it down the inside.

          You can do most of this yourself and save a bundle.

          john

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
            We replaced the standing rigging on our S30 last winter. I dropped and re-stepped the mast. The rigger came to our club removed the rigging and the crane at the mast head. He replaced the rigging with 316 wire swaged fittings and chrome bronze turnbuckles. He did the forestay with a mechanical terminal and snaked it through our Schaefer furler. He also replaced the VHF cable and made a custom mount for our spinnaker block at the mast head. This one has a bit more reach than the original which we were having trouble with. I replaced the mast head sheaves with ones from Zepherworks, the VHF antenna, the spinnaker halyard block and the topping lift. I also pulled all the chain plates and had them inspected. Total bill was around $2200 - 2400. And I rebedded the mast step on the deck.

            -Christopher
            S30 #18 Aetheria (Currently for sale)

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

            > I own a 1993 Sabre 362 and have my rigger check out the rigging once a
            > year.....As result of his inspection, he thought that I should redo all my
            > shrouds and also mentioned it would be a good time to replace my roller
            > furler...here are the rough prices he came up with to replace all the
            > shrouds and their connectors, about $9K, repaint the mast and boom $5K, and
            > replace the furler another 2.5k.....that's $16.5k, my question is those of
            > you that own Sabres for 20 + years have you replaced all your rigging,
            > also are there places that specialize in this kind of work...Jules Bender
            > 362/110

          • Joe
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
              Jules,

              I have a 1990 38, I had the rig down 5 years ago to inspect and fix somethings before a trip to Key West. No problems and I don't expect to replace it anytime soon. I just serviced my original harken roller furler last year which consisted of cleaning and a good spray with McLube. I'm sure you can find the manual for yours on line. Works like a charm.

              I would be interested in knowing the why? Did he find a cracked fitting? or is it a gut feeling? Time and environment are a factor of course, but I doubt you "used it up". This might be a good time to tune your rig so that no one shroud/stay is being overworked.

              I hope I didn't jinx myself,

              Joe
              s/v "Voila"
              S38mkII #174

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

              > I own a 1993 Sabre 362 and have my rigger check out the rigging once a
              > year.....As result of his inspection, he thought that I should redo all my
              > shrouds and also mentioned it would be a good time to replace my roller
              > furler...here are the rough prices he came up with to replace all the
              > shrouds and their connectors, about $9K, repaint the mast and boom $5K, and
              > replace the furler another 2.5k.....that's $16.5k, my question is those of
              > you that own Sabres for 20 + years have you replaced all your rigging,
              > also are there places that specialize in this kind of work...Jules Bender
              > 362/110

            • Bob Marthaler
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
                Jules,

                I am in the process of replacing my standing rigging on my 1984 S30 Mk II. I gave the original cables to Rigging Only at the Chicago Strictly Sailboat Show. I felt better talking face to face and saved shipping one way.

                The cost was $1033.15. That included; Uppers, 165' of 1/4" 316 SS, lowers, 82' of 7/32" 316 SS, 15 terminal, and swagging.

                I am not replacing the original 1984 Harkin roller furler. At the moment I am cleaning and so far found one cracked dulrin ball bearing. I will have to slip the new fore stay through the old fueler foil and then add a Sta-Loc ($37.87).

                The shipping cost was $37.00 to the Chicago area. Total $1108.02.

                Bob Marthaler
                Kenosha, Wi

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
                    Joe, Thanks for your feedback, the main reason he said that I need to replace the rigging was because there was no more room to tighten the turnbuckle and said that my rigging was not as tight as it should be, he did not find any of the fittings to be broken....fyi, he told me not to use McLube to lubricate the ball bearings in the curler (which I've been doing for years) he said only use soap and water......Jules

                    On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Joe <cbr_deuce@...> wrote:

                    Jules,

                    I have a 1990 38, I had the rig down 5 years ago to inspect and fix somethings before a trip to Key West. No problems and I don't expect to replace it anytime soon. I just serviced my original harken roller furler last year which consisted of cleaning and a good spray with McLube. I'm sure you can find the manual for yours on line. Works like a charm.

                    I would be interested in knowing the why? Did he find a cracked fitting? or is it a gut feeling? Time and environment are a factor of course, but I doubt you "used it up". This might be a good time to tune your rig so that no one shroud/stay is being overworked.

                    I hope I didn't jinx myself,

                    Joe
                    s/v "Voila"
                    S38mkII #174

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

                    > I own a 1993 Sabre 362 and have my rigger check out the rigging once a
                    > year.....As result of his inspection, he thought that I should redo all my
                    > shrouds and also mentioned it would be a good time to replace my roller
                    > furler...here are the rough prices he came up with to replace all the
                    > shrouds and their connectors, about $9K, repaint the mast and boom $5K, and
                    > replace the furler another 2.5k.....that's $16.5k, my question is those of
                    > you that own Sabres for 20 + years have you replaced all your rigging,
                    > also are there places that specialize in this kind of work...Jules Bender
                    > 362/110

                  • GRAHAM BROADHURST
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
                      I have been told to only wash the furling.
                      Reason being to avoid catching sand and grit in the bearings.
                      Were all shrouds out of adjustment space? Lowers and Mains?
                      Graham S34-1

                      --- In mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

                      > I own a 1993 Sabre 362 and have my rigger check out the rigging once a
                      > year.....As result of his inspection, he thought that I should redo all my
                      > shrouds and also mentioned it would be a good time to replace my roller
                      > furler...here are the rough prices he came up with to replace all the
                      > shrouds and their connectors, about $9K, repaint the mast and boom $5K, and
                      > replace the furler another 2.5k.....that's $16.5k, my question is those of
                      > you that own Sabres for 20 + years have you replaced all your rigging,
                      > also are there places that specialize in this kind of work...Jules Bender
                      > 362/110

                    • Joe
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
                        I've never seen any kind of build up of dirt. The product drys almost instantly and leave a slick coat. I use it all over. It is specified in the harken manual as the lubricant to be used. If it spins or slides I spray it.

                        http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

                        I'm surprised to hear you we're all out of adjustment? Do you have rod rigging?

                        Joe

                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, GRAHAM BROADHURST <sabredover@...> wrote:

                        > I have been told to only wash the furling.
                        > Reason being to avoid catching sand and grit in the bearings.
                        > Were all shrouds out of adjustment space? Lowers and Mains?
                        > Graham S34-1
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • sabre32sailor
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
                          Take one of your halyards and run both ends to a forward cleat.
                          Loosen the backstage.
                          Remove forestay clevis pin and pull the furler unit back on deck.
                          Dunk it in a 5 gallon bucket of warm water and watch the crud float out.
                          Rinse and repeat until it is running clean

                          If that does not do it call harken and get a new set of bearings for $15
                          Save yourself some money

                          -- Sent from my HP TouchPad

                          On Mar 19, 2013 2:30 PM, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

                          Joe, Thanks for your feedback, the main reason he said that I need to replace the rigging was because there was no more room to tighten the turnbuckle and said that my rigging was not as tight as it should be, he did not find any of the fittings to be broken....fyi, he told me not to use McLube to lubricate the ball bearings in the curler (which I've been doing for years) he said only use soap and water......Jules

                          On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Joe <cbr_deuce@...> wrote:

                          Jules,

                          I have a 1990 38, I had the rig down 5 years ago to inspect and fix somethings before a trip to Key West. No problems and I don't expect to replace it anytime soon. I just serviced my original harken roller furler last year which consisted of cleaning and a good spray with McLube. I'm sure you can find the manual for yours on line. Works like a charm.

                          I would be interested in knowing the why? Did he find a cracked fitting? or is it a gut feeling? Time and environment are a factor of course, but I doubt you "used it up". This might be a good time to tune your rig so that no one shroud/stay is being overworked.

                          I hope I didn't jinx myself,

                          Joe
                          s/v "Voila"
                          S38mkII #174

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

                          > I own a 1993 Sabre 362 and have my rigger check out the rigging once a
                          > year.....As result of his inspection, he thought that I should redo all my
                          > shrouds and also mentioned it would be a good time to replace my roller
                          > furler...here are the rough prices he came up with to replace all the
                          > shrouds and their connectors, about $9K, repaint the mast and boom $5K, and
                          > replace the furler another 2.5k.....that's $16.5k, my question is those of
                          > you that own Sabres for 20 + years have you replaced all your rigging,
                          > also are there places that specialize in this kind of work...Jules Bender
                          > 362/110

                        • Kevin
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
                            I met with the Harken folks at the Annapolis boat show this year and they told me not to use any lube of any kind on the bearings on the furler. What happens is that the bearings will end up not rolling when the furler turns. The result is that the bearings will get flat spots, and over time the furler will become harder and harder to use.

                            No more Mclube for me on the furler. Soap and water only.

                            Kevin

                            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <cbr_deuce@...> wrote:

                            > I've never seen any kind of build up of dirt. The product drys almost instantly and leave a slick coat. I use it all over. It is specified in the harken manual as the lubricant to be used. If it spins or slides I spray it.
                            >
                            > http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/
                            >
                            > I'm surprised to hear you we're all out of adjustment? Do you have rod rigging?
                            >
                            > Joe
                            >
                            > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, GRAHAM BROADHURST <sabredover@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I have been told to only wash the furling.
                            > > Reason being to avoid catching sand and grit in the bearings.
                            > > Were all shrouds out of adjustment space? Lowers and Mains?
                            > > Graham S34-1
                            > >

                            > > ________________________________

                          • rayjanine2002
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
                              Hi Jules:

                              The cost of the standing rigging included the installation of the lowers, headstay, and furler. I installed the intermediates, uppers, and backstay since my mast was down for the winter. Only difficult item is the installation of the headstay and furler. All the other shrouds are no problem to do yourself as long as the mast is removed from the boat.

                              Best of luck,

                              Ray

                              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

                              > Ray, Is the cost for the standing rigging, just materials or does it
                              > include the cost for a rigger ? thanks Jules
                              >
                              > On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM, rayjanine2002 <rayjanine@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > Hi Jules:
                              > >
                              > > After 20 years especially on salt water it's time to change the standing
                              > > rigging and furler. I changed mine last year. My prices were:
                              > >
                              > > 1. Genoa furler Model MKIV Unit 2 - $2649
                              > > 2. Standing rigging (lowers and headstay including three turnbuckles) and
                              > > install furler - $2500
                              > > 3. Replaced remaining standing rigging (uppers, intermediates, and
                              > > backstay including backstay legs and all new turnbuckles) - $1500
                              > > 4. Repainting the mast is really not that difficult as long as the yard
                              > > will let you work on the mast for about 3 weeks (time it takes to prep it
                              > > and paint it and then not move it until the paint drys really well) -Cost
                              > > will be under a $1000 and no need for a spray gun with the new products
                              > > that Awlgrip sells. I already posted on how to do it.
                              > > 5. Sheave replacements are $56 each by Ed of Zephywerks.com total for
                              > > three sheaves with shipping $178. Removing and replacing the sheaves is
                              > > really easy. See my photos in my album.
                              > >
                              > > So $16k is a bit steep for what needs to be done. I would look into using
                              > > another yard and even an autobody shop to repaint your mast. Please also
                              > > note that removing and replacing the standing rigging other than the furler
                              > > is also really easy. You could remove them, bring them to a local rigging
                              > > shop or just order new ones via riggingonly.com and save a bundle.
                              > >
                              > > Best of luck,
                              > >
                              > > Ray

                            • Jules Bender
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
                                Joe, I don't disagree with you about using the dry lube I use it also, but my rigger thinks it leaves a very fine film on the ball bearings in the Furler......just to be clear my rigging is not all "out of adjustment", it's just that there's no more room to tighten the turnbuckles, I assume the that wire stretched over the years......I'm going to check the shrouod tension just to see how loose it really got........Jules

                                On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Joe <cbr_deuce@...> wrote:

                                I've never seen any kind of build up of dirt. The product drys almost instantly and leave a slick coat. I use it all over. It is specified in the harken manual as the lubricant to be used. If it spins or slides I spray it.

                                http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

                                I'm surprised to hear you we're all out of adjustment? Do you have rod rigging?

                                Joe

                                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, GRAHAM BROADHURST <sabredover@...> wrote:

                                > I have been told to only wash the furling.
                                > Reason being to avoid catching sand and grit in the bearings.
                                > Were all shrouds out of adjustment space? Lowers and Mains?
                                > Graham S34-1
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • rayjanine2002
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
                                  Hi Jules:

                                  Funny that your rigging is at it's limit of travel for the turnbuckles. My port side lowers were close to the limit but my starboard side was not. I was wondering if it was the mast settling into the mast step but that was not the case. My mast step is solid. Only other thing it could have been is that the chainplate was lifting or the rigging stretched. Sabre has aluminum plates that shore up the chainplates to the back of the settee in the cabin. You can see them by opening up your port and starboard settee cabinets and looking up. If your boat does not have them, you may want to contact Glen Champlin and discuss this. If you do, then the rigging has just stretched over time and it's time to have it replaced.

                                  Best of luck,

                                  Ray

                                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

                                  > Joe, Thanks for your feedback, the main reason he said that I need to
                                  > replace the rigging was because there was no more room to tighten the
                                  > turnbuckle and said that my rigging was not as tight as it should be, he
                                  > did not find any of the fittings to be broken....fyi, he told me not to use
                                  > McLube to lubricate the ball bearings in the curler (which I've been doing
                                  > for years) he said only use soap and water......Jules
                                  >
                                  > On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Joe <cbr_deuce@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > **
                                  > >

                                  > > Jules,
                                  > >
                                  > > I have a 1990 38, I had the rig down 5 years ago to inspect and fix
                                  > > somethings before a trip to Key West. No problems and I don't expect to
                                  > > replace it anytime soon. I just serviced my original harken roller furler
                                  > > last year which consisted of cleaning and a good spray with McLube. I'm
                                  > > sure you can find the manual for yours on line. Works like a charm.
                                  > >
                                  > > I would be interested in knowing the why? Did he find a cracked fitting?
                                  > > or is it a gut feeling? Time and environment are a factor of course, but I
                                  > > doubt you "used it up". This might be a good time to tune your rig so that
                                  > > no one shroud/stay is being overworked.
                                  > >
                                  > > I hope I didn't jinx myself,
                                  > >
                                  > > Joe
                                  > > s/v "Voila"
                                  > > S38mkII #174
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I own a 1993 Sabre 362 and have my rigger check out the rigging once a
                                  > > > year.....As result of his inspection, he thought that I should redo all
                                  > > my
                                  > > > shrouds and also mentioned it would be a good time to replace my roller
                                  > > > furler...here are the rough prices he came up with to replace all the
                                  > > > shrouds and their connectors, about $9K, repaint the mast and boom $5K,
                                  > > and
                                  > > > replace the furler another 2.5k.....that's $16.5k, my question is those
                                  > > of
                                  > > > you that own Sabres for 20 + years have you replaced all your rigging,
                                  > > > also are there places that specialize in this kind of work...Jules Bender
                                  > > > 362/110

                                • Jules Bender
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
                                    Ray, thanks again for you insight, I'm assuming that the rigging has stretched, and as a next step I'm going to check the tension in the shrouds, I know that the rigging has not lifted on the deck, and will check the area you mentioned in the settee....your boat and mine are one number apart, I'm 110 I don't remember if you are 109 or 111, but I'm assuming the rigging on our boats are similar.......Jules

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 19, 2013
                                      I'm not sure what Harken reps say at shows, but here's what they say about lubing Delrin bearings...

                                      Pete

                                      On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

                                      Joe, I don't disagree with you about using the dry lube I use it also, but my rigger thinks it leaves a very fine film on the ball bearings in the Furler......just to be clear my rigging is not all "out of adjustment", it's just that there's no more room to tighten the turnbuckles, I assume the that wire stretched over the years......I'm going to check the shrouod tension just to see how loose it really got........Jules

                                      On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Joe <cbr_deuce@...> wrote:

                                      I've never seen any kind of build up of dirt. The product drys almost instantly and leave a slick coat. I use it all over. It is specified in the harken manual as the lubricant to be used. If it spins or slides I spray it.

                                      http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

                                      I'm surprised to hear you we're all out of adjustment? Do you have rod rigging?

                                      Joe

                                      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, GRAHAM BROADHURST <sabredover@...> wrote:

                                      > I have been told to only wash the furling.
                                      > Reason being to avoid catching sand and grit in the bearings.
                                      > Were all shrouds out of adjustment space? Lowers and Mains?
                                      > Graham S34-1
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • Jules Bender
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                                        Chris, thanks for your feedback.....Jules

                                        On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:18 AM, christopher <cercole@...> wrote:

                                        We replaced the standing rigging on our S30 last winter. I dropped and re-stepped the mast. The rigger came to our club removed the rigging and the crane at the mast head. He replaced the rigging with 316 wire swaged fittings and chrome bronze turnbuckles. He did the forestay with a mechanical terminal and snaked it through our Schaefer furler. He also replaced the VHF cable and made a custom mount for our spinnaker block at the mast head. This one has a bit more reach than the original which we were having trouble with. I replaced the mast head sheaves with ones from Zepherworks, the VHF antenna, the spinnaker halyard block and the topping lift. I also pulled all the chain plates and had them inspected. Total bill was around $2200 - 2400. And I rebedded the mast step on the deck.

                                        -Christopher
                                        S30 #18 Aetheria (Currently for sale)

                                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

                                        > I own a 1993 Sabre 362 and have my rigger check out the rigging once a
                                        > year.....As result of his inspection, he thought that I should redo all my
                                        > shrouds and also mentioned it would be a good time to replace my roller
                                        > furler...here are the rough prices he came up with to replace all the
                                        > shrouds and their connectors, about $9K, repaint the mast and boom $5K, and
                                        > replace the furler another 2.5k.....that's $16.5k, my question is those of
                                        > you that own Sabres for 20 + years have you replaced all your rigging,
                                        > also are there places that specialize in this kind of work...Jules Bender
                                        > 362/110

                                      • Joe
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                                          Interesting claim "stuff works so good that the bearings won't even spin" I don't know, I can see that if you don't first properly clean it, any surface that is, McLube will almost certainly keep the dirt and grime right were it is. That would definitely be bad. I never use it to loosen anything up. Only after it is clean, dry, and free moving does it get a spray.

                                          This discussion has reminded me of the scene in National Lampoon's Vacation of the super sled wax. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rMcRJVY1-0

                                          Can you spay this stuff on Hypalon?

                                          Joe

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                                            Harken actually does make the claim that McLube is so slippery it will prevent the balls from rolling. Maybe Clark's stuff in the video was a prototype.
                                            Anyway, the preferred (and explainable) maintenance for Delrin ball bearing gear is to first squirt a detergent/water solution into the bearings and work the furler/traveler car/block with no load.  Rinse with fresh water. repeat until it rinses clear.  Either stop here, or let it dry, then use Harken/McLube One Drop, which is not a lubricant, but a sealer that repels water, salt and dirt. In reality, I think it just repels water which attracts the other stuff.  Regular flushing w/ fresh water can't hurt either.
                                            That's my story and I'm sticking to it, 'cause if anything happened to that plate in my head, my hair would never look right.  Thanks, Joe.

                                            Pete