Re: [SabreSailboat] Emergency Tiller

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 18, 2013
      The plastic plate is pretty flimsy. I think a sharp blow or two with the emergency tiller would make short work of removing it. However, the plastic shards might be tough on bare feet.

      Dave

      On Mar 18, 2013, at 9:15 AM, Bennett Kaufman wrote:

      Has anyone ever tried steering with a stock emergency tiller?  Seems more likely to knock your teeth out than direct the boat in any given direction.

      I have used the emergency tiller as an experiment (on the Sabre 36, it is located om brackets above the outboard wooden shelf in the port cockpit locker). The best way to use it (which I think is the intent) is to insert a boat hook or mop handle into the top of the "T" to get leverage. The tiller is tall so that when a handle is used, it will clear the top of the wheel and/or binnacle. Yes, it is a bit awkward to use--you have to stand up to steer, and really the hardest part is scrambling to find a screwdriver to remove the access plate to get to the rudderhead--but it DOES work as intended.

      The Sabre emergency tiller is an excellent argument for a below deck autopilot with a dedicated tiller arm.

      I don't think anyone would spend the $$$ for a below deck autopilot JUST to avoid having to use the energency tiller...but we have several threads (and photos) in the archives about installing autopilots.

      ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 18, 2013
          A couple of years ago I was racing a Beneteau 40.7 in Sydney Harbor. We were hard on a 15 kt wind when a gust hit. I tried to turn down as the main trimmer tried to dump the main, but the steering cable broke (actually the clamp slipped). We rounded up right in front of a 45'er coming at us, closing at about 15 knots. Fortunately they were able to head up and avoid contact. We immediately engaged the autopilot for the limp back home. The emergency tiller was only used to back in to the slip. Glad we had it, but the under deck autopilot was the thing that got us home.

          The real lesson, though, was to put two clamps on the steering cable. Surely a Sabre owner would never make that mistake.

          Lee
          Cloud Nine
          1983 38 MK II

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 18, 2013
            I had to use one on my S28 10 years ago. My brothers and I were sailing across Long Island Sound in 30 knots and confused seas. The drive wheel on my Edson steering broke in to pieces. After flogging about for a few minutes and some damage to my jib, we managed to get the emergency tiller in place. Took some getting used to. It was very hard to turn. I had to lean into it to move it and every small adjustment resulted in a significant course change. After a while I got the hang of it and was able to dock in tough conditions with no problem. Our long trip became much shorter but we continued our trip locally. The drive wheel was replaced (hefty bill) and the emergency tiller is back on the shelf where I hope stays.

            Greg
            S28 Journey

            Sent from my iPad

            On Mar 17, 2013, at 10:11 PM, Jim Starkey <jim@...> wrote:

            Has anyone ever tried steering with a stock emergency tiller?  Seems more likely to knock your teeth out than direct the boat in any given direction.

            The Sabre emergency tiller is an excellent argument for a below deck autopilot with a dedicated tiller arm.

            On 3/17/2013 6:59 PM, THOMASJ wrote:

            I'm going through my "new" 1985 S34 - changed holding tank hoses, water hoses, vents, new head. Now looking for the emergency tiller - manual says its in one of the lockers?? Where are they stored??

            Thanks!

          • Dan Trainor