Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Emergency Tiller

  • Yahoo
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 17, 2013
      On this topic, anyone know where the emergency tiller could be found on a 362?

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 17, 2013, at 8:47 PM, Thomas Johnson <tomsppath@...> wrote:

      Shoot - ok it's there. I was looking for a stainless "t", not an orange pipe!  K , it'll work.  Thanks

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 17, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

      Okay not quite the same.
      Port locker. :-)

      Sent from my iPhone 5.

      On Mar 17, 2013, at 7:53 PM, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

      I wasn't sure whether year would make a difference. Our '86 34-II is the same.
      dge

      Sent from my iPhone 5.

      On Mar 17, 2013, at 7:24 PM, "dabunders" <dabunders@...> wrote:

      Take a look in the cockpit lockers. In my 1981 28' it is in the starboard cockpit locker, mounted on the shelf - painted orange, it is nothing more than a pipe shaped like a "T".

      Jay

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 17, 2013
        Has anyone ever tried steering with a stock emergency tiller?  Seems more likely to knock your teeth out than direct the boat in any given direction.

        The Sabre emergency tiller is an excellent argument for a below deck autopilot with a dedicated tiller arm.

        On 3/17/2013 6:59 PM, THOMASJ wrote:

        I'm going through my "new" 1985 S34 - changed holding tank hoses, water hoses, vents, new head. Now looking for the emergency tiller - manual says its in one of the lockers?? Where are they stored??

        Thanks!

      • Jules Bender
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 17, 2013
          On the 362, if you open up the port lazaretto at the stern, it should on the plywood platform toward the middle of the boat...it should be very obvious....Jules bender 362/110

          On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Yahoo <forty_shrimps@...> wrote:

          On this topic, anyone know where the emergency tiller could be found on a 362?

          Sent from my iPad

          On Mar 17, 2013, at 8:47 PM, Thomas Johnson <tomsppath@...> wrote:

          Shoot - ok it's there. I was looking for a stainless "t", not an orange pipe!  K , it'll work.  Thanks

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Mar 17, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

          Okay not quite the same.
          Port locker. :-)

          Sent from my iPhone 5.

          On Mar 17, 2013, at 7:53 PM, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

          I wasn't sure whether year would make a difference. Our '86 34-II is the same.
          dge

          Sent from my iPhone 5.

          On Mar 17, 2013, at 7:24 PM, "dabunders" <dabunders@...> wrote:

          Take a look in the cockpit lockers. In my 1981 28' it is in the starboard cockpit locker, mounted on the shelf - painted orange, it is nothing more than a pipe shaped like a "T".

          Jay

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "THOMASJ" <tomsppath@...> wrote:

          > I'm going through my "new" 1985 S34 - changed holding tank hoses, water hoses, vents, new head. Now looking for the emergency tiller - manual says its in one of the lockers?? Where are they stored??
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Bennett Kaufman
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 18, 2013
            Has anyone ever tried steering with a stock emergency tiller?  Seems more likely to knock your teeth out than direct the boat in any given direction.

            I have used the emergency tiller as an experiment (on the Sabre 36, it is located om brackets above the outboard wooden shelf in the port cockpit locker). The best way to use it (which I think is the intent) is to insert a boat hook or mop handle into the top of the "T" to get leverage. The tiller is tall so that when a handle is used, it will clear the top of the wheel and/or binnacle. Yes, it is a bit awkward to use--you have to stand up to steer, and really the hardest part is scrambling to find a screwdriver to remove the access plate to get to the rudderhead--but it DOES work as intended.

            The Sabre emergency tiller is an excellent argument for a below deck autopilot with a dedicated tiller arm.

            I don't think anyone would spend the $$$ for a below deck autopilot JUST to avoid having to use the energency tiller...but we have several threads (and photos) in the archives about installing autopilots.

            ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 18, 2013
                    A couple of years ago I was racing a Beneteau 40.7 in Sydney Harbor. We were hard on a 15 kt wind when a gust hit. I tried to turn down as the main trimmer tried to dump the main, but the steering cable broke (actually the clamp slipped). We rounded up right in front of a 45'er coming at us, closing at about 15 knots. Fortunately they were able to head up and avoid contact. We immediately engaged the autopilot for the limp back home. The emergency tiller was only used to back in to the slip. Glad we had it, but the under deck autopilot was the thing that got us home.

                    The real lesson, though, was to put two clamps on the steering cable. Surely a Sabre owner would never make that mistake.

                    Lee
                    Cloud Nine
                    1983 38 MK II

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 18, 2013
                      I had to use one on my S28 10 years ago. My brothers and I were sailing across Long Island Sound in 30 knots and confused seas. The drive wheel on my Edson steering broke in to pieces. After flogging about for a few minutes and some damage to my jib, we managed to get the emergency tiller in place. Took some getting used to. It was very hard to turn. I had to lean into it to move it and every small adjustment resulted in a significant course change. After a while I got the hang of it and was able to dock in tough conditions with no problem. Our long trip became much shorter but we continued our trip locally. The drive wheel was replaced (hefty bill) and the emergency tiller is back on the shelf where I hope stays.

                      Greg
                      S28 Journey

                      Sent from my iPad