Re: Mast head sheaves for Sabre 362

  • rayjanine2002
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 16, 2013
      Hi Allison:

      Not sure but the measurements are accurate since I took out the pins today. You can see them in my photo album. I will inform Nan Hall of Hall Spars on Monday since she is trying to get me new sheaves and pins.

      Ray
      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Allison Lehman <allison@...> wrote:

      > Wow, big difference in the spec of the pins compared to what you took out. Any idea why?
      >
      > Allison
      >

      > On Mar 16, 2013, at 12:31 PM, rayjanine2002 wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Jules:
      > >
      > > I hope this Canary sings long enough to enjoy my boat after all the work I have been doing. LOL. Glad to be of help. I added some pictures in the Second Wind photo gallery of the sheaves and how they are secured. It was a piece of cake taking them out. The pins holding them are secured with a screw that takes an allen wrench. The screw is really small. All the fasteners (2 screws plus bolt that holds the cap onto the mast) came out very easily. Looks like Hall Spars did a good job of ensuring the fasteners were treated with anti corrosion compound before they put them in. I measured my sheaves and I have some revised measurements for you:
      > >
      > > All the Sheaves (not sure of the material) are 3-1/4" OD with 5/8" + ID and 3/4" wide. They have separate stainless steel bushings that go into the center of the sheaves. The bushings are slightly less than 5/8" OD with a slightly more 3/8" ID and 13/16" wide.
      > >
      > > The pins that hold the sheaves (you need two of them) are 2-3/4" long and 3/8" diameter. They have a tab on the top of them which measures 1-1/4" x 7/16". The tab screws into the top mast fitting and secures the pins.
      > >
      > > I plan on replacing my sheaves with the exact type of sheave I have which has a stainless steel bushing since they lasted over 20 years and they really aren't that bad.
      > >
      > > Still trying to locate a good sheave and pin manufacturer. I am trying Zephor and Schaefer Marine.
      > >
      > > Kind Regards,
      > >
      > > Ray

    • walkabout193
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 17, 2013
        Ray
        You have the same mast head as my s38mkii. Last year I replaced all my sheaves (solid alum) with new delrin sheaves for the jib and SS ball bearing sheave for the main. I moved one of the alum sheaves to an empty slot for a trysail halyard. My alum sheaves were worn on the sides to the point they were sharp as knives, so it was time. I purchased my sheaves from Rigging Only. Very helpful in providing the proper reducing bushing in oiled bronze.
        With ballbearing sheave on the Main halyard you'll find a much smoother hoisting and dousing on your main. Short $$ for servicing 20 year old worn sheaves.

        Len Bertaux
        Walkabout

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "rayjanine2002" <rayjanine@...> wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I would like to replace my mast head sheaves. Hall Spars Inc. whom made my mast had the following information on my existing sheaves:
        > 1. Sheave pins (2) - PR-9639-1 3/8" X 5" with tab that secures to the mast with a machine screw
        > 2. Sheaves - PR-11028-33 Delrin 3.25" x 3/4" pin hole x 5/8" thick w/ spacer for 5/8" hole to 3/8" hole for sheave pin
        >
        > My halyards (which I replaced last year are):
        > 1. Genoa - Wire rope combo . The wire is 3/16" stainless and the rope is 7/16" STA-SET.
        > 2. Main sail : All rope - New England Ropes 10MM X 600 SS T-900 BLUE FLK.
        > 3. Spinnaker - All rope - 7/16" STA-SET
        >
        > Has anyone replaced their sheaves and pins and what manufacturer did you use along with the part/model numbers of your sheaves and pins?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ray
        > Second Wind
        > 1993 Sabre 362

      • rayjanine2002
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 17, 2013
          Hi Len:

          Thanks for the info. Is your Jib Halyard rope or wire/rope? If wire/rope what size wire and what size rope do you have and what was the dimensions of your Delrin sheave? Did Rigging Only replace the old ones the same way (sheave with a pressed in bushing and a separate stainless steel bushing like we had on our original)? Please also let me know if Delrin can stand up to wire over a long period of time like aluminum can? My original sheaves were really not that bad after 20 years and were made from aluminum with a pressed in bushing (not sure what type of bushing it has) and then a separate stainless steel bushing went inside the ID of the sheave and mated up with the 3/8" diameter sheave axle pin.

          Thanks,

          Ray
        • walkabout193
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 18, 2013
            Ray
            I,swapped out my wire halyards for V100, 3/8" to keep from scratching my newly painted mast.. If you're going to keep with wire halyards you should use aluminum sheaves. I think the sheaves were 3" dia. If you really need to know I have the old ones somewhere. RO provided the necessary reducing bushings to accommodate the 3/8" SS pin. The original bushings were SS. For the delrin sheaves I changed to oiled bronze.

            Len