Re: [SabreSailboat] Varnish question

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2013
      Joe -
      I feather the varnish toward the bungholes, so each coat ends a little farther away. I finish sand the entire piece before mounting. I trim the bungs close and minimize sanding the piece by using a small block to sand the bung.  Then I feather the varnish outward from the bung, with a final coat of the entire piece done in place.  It's a royal PIA, but if you want a varnish finish, you gotta go there.
      It also multiplies the pain when the varnish eventually goes south.
      There's always Cetol :)
      Pete

      On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM, <jay4868@...> wrote:

      I need help with with a varnish issue that has bothered me for years.  I have spend great care layering multiple coats of varnish  on several removable teak pieces over the winter.  Now when I reattach these pieces in the spring I will need to cover the screw holes with bungs.  given that process how can I install the bungs flush with the piece withour sanding off a good deal of the 8 coats of varnish surrounding the bung itself?  It seems like every time I do this I end up ruining a perfectly fine varnish job.  Any suggestions will be most helpful.

      Joe M
      S38M1
      Ceapach