removal of manual bilge pump

  • sabre32sailor
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2013
      Been through ~300 messages without an answer, so here goes.

      Looking to pull the manual bilge pump on my s-32. It is located above the starboard aft lazerette. I think the s-34 is the same.

      Knowing what a pain it was to remove the exhaust fan that is nearby, I was wondering if anyone hand any hints on how best to remove the bilge pump short of cutting an access panel into the transom.. ;<)
    • Dave Evans
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2013
        John,
        I did it a few years ago without cutting any new openings. It was a pain. I remember working from the port locker as well as the stern lazarette. One nut was either unreachable or unmovable and I sawed it off with the help of a neighboring plumber's toolbox.
        I'd suggest a year of yoga and/or Pilates to prepare.
        dge

        On 3/11/2013 9:03 AM, sabre32sailor wrote:

        Been through ~300 messages without an answer, so here goes.

        Looking to pull the manual bilge pump on my s-32. It is located above the starboard aft lazerette. I think the s-34 is the same.

        Knowing what a pain it was to remove the exhaust fan that is nearby, I was wondering if anyone hand any hints on how best to remove the bilge pump short of cutting an access panel into the transom.. ;<)

      • Charles Sidwa
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2013
          Teenagers do come in handy here, if you have any lying around the house.  I offered my then 16 year old daughter a shopping outing in return for help, it was worth it to see her with grease to the elbows!  On my 34MKII it is on the port side and access was available once I unscrewed the wood paneling.

          Charlie
          34MKII