Asymmetrical furler on an 85 Sabre 36?

  • marblehead2011
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2013
      I have been thinking of getting an asymmetrical spinnaker for our 85 Sabre 36. On a previous boat, we never had a sock and dousing that AS was sometimes a handful.

      A number of manufacturers (e.g. Selden GX Furler) make top/down asymmetric furlers that aren't appreciably more expensive than an ATN sock. However, I am not certain if there is enough room forward of the forestay to attach one without using a mini bowsprit. Similarly, I don't know if there is 6" clearance at the mast to allow the furler to do its thing.

      Does anyone have any experience with furlers on like-boats, and if so, would you recommend one over a sock?

      -Bob