Re: [SabreSailboat] Anchor bridle ideas?

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
       If I remember correctly, Jack Aubrey used such a rig to fight Surprise at anchor, though why he needed to eludes me.  I may need to re-read the 21 book canon to reconstruct, so don't wait up.

      On 3/7/2013 11:19 AM, Carter Brey wrote:

      I'm not sure if the original post was made with reference to a catamaran, but there *is* a situation in which a bridle does make sense for a monohull.

      If you are in a particularly rolly anchorage, let's say with the wind from the North, and a tidal current surge is hitting you from the West, you can reduce rolling by basically springing the rode. A length of dockline attached to the rode (rolling hitch, alpine butterfly loop, whatever) and brought aft to a starboard midship or transom cleat will point the bow more toward the waves.

      It can also work, with no adverse current, simply to reduce sailing around the anchor, like a riding sail.

      You can adjust the angle of incidence into the waves by taking in or paying out the bridle.

      CB

      On Mar 7, 2013 10:58 AM, "Jim Starkey" <jim@...> wrote:

      I don't think an anchor bridle is going to keep a boat from sailing at anchor.  A bridle is useful to reduce the swing room and maybe as insurance in case one drags, but unless the wind is perfectly aligned so the load is shared, the boat is actually swinging on one or the other.  And even when perfectly aligned, some of the anchors' resistance is wasted on the part of the load vector pulling the anchors together.

      Anchoring is very personal.  I doubt that two people on the list have exactly the same opinions.  But it's also the subject on which more non-sense as been written than any other boating topic.

      Those of us in New England are in the eye of (yet another) howling nor'easter.  So, to warm the blood if not the spirit, why do you want to set anchors in a bridle?

      On 3/7/13 9:31 AM, JOHN CALLIS wrote:

      Are you saying that an anchor bridle has the ability to stop a boat from sailing at anchor.  I was going to get a riding sail for this summer to prevent sailing at anchor, but if this works I will give it a try.

      Please explain.

      John

      On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Ken Jenkins wrote:

      Well you are already one up on me. When we had a catamaran, I used to create a bridle using what the Boy Scouts referred to as a taut line hitch. Never had a problem with it slipping on 3 strand nylon. A kleimheist hitch ought to be much better. Actually, even if it slips, it is not catastrophic as you have one line directly from the anchor to the bow. The only problem is the boat then starts sailing at anchor.
      Ken Jenkins

      ___________________________________

      Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:26 PM
      Subject: [SabreSailboat]Anchor bridle ideas?

      Anyfresh ideas for making an anchor bridle?

      Typicallywe take a spare line and attach it to the nylon anchor rode with a kleimheist hitch or some fancy knot. I'd feel more comfortable with some kind of mechanical connection (gadget, caribiner, etc.) but these things only seem to be available for attachment to chain rodes. Has anyone come up with unique solutions or products I have overlooked?

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
        I have on occasion  used a bridle on my 28 when the current is at odds with the wind sometime i circle around the anchor.
         I open up the 3 strand at the water line and splice in another same size line just a couple of tucks 3-4 than pay out both and adjust the  bridle so i don't sail on the anchor..
         I have found letting the wind at the   quarter  helps the boat stand still at anchor..  Lee fla

        Harry is correct, although I had thought that the use of a bridle on a monohull was to weather cock the boat to the wind when wind and wave directions differ. I seem to recall that it is also supposed to have some effect in reducing sailing at anchor. I have never used a bridle on a monohull so I can’t comment on whether or not this is true. I will note that the cat really rode well to a bridle with virtually no sailing at anchor so we always used a bridle. Also, the windage is much lower on a cat when it is head to wind, so there was a lot less anchor load.
        Ken

        Ken's post was in reference to a catamaran. The cat is very wide, and if the anchor goes to only one hull, it will lay at a nice angle for sailing. The bridle brings the anchor line of force to the center of the boat.

        Harry

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, JOHN CALLIS <jsts@...> wrote:

        > Are you saying that an anchor bridle has the ability to stop a boat from
        > sailing at anchor. I was going to get a riding sail for this summer to
        > prevent sailing at anchor, but if this works I will give it a try.
        >
        > Please explain.
        >
        > John
        >
        > On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Ken Jenkins wrote:
        >

        > Well you are already one up on me. When we had a catamaran, I used to
        > create a bridle using what the Boy Scouts referred to as a taut line
        > hitch. Never had a problem with it slipping on 3 strand nylon. A
        > kleimheist hitch ought to be much better. Actually, even if it slips, it
        > is not catastrophic as you have one line directly from the anchor to the
        > bow. The only problem is the boat then starts sailing at anchor.
        > Ken Jenkins
        >
        > ___________________________________

        On Behalf Of JohnF
        > Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:26 PM
        > To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [SabreSailboat] Anchor bridle ideas?
        >

        > Any fresh ideas for making an anchor bridle?
        >
        > Typically we take a spare line and attach it to the nylon anchor rode
        > with a kleimheist hitch or some fancy knot. I'd feel more comfortable
        > with some kind of mechanical connection (gadget, caribiner, etc.) but
        > these things only seem to be available for attachment to chain rodes.
        > Has anyone come up with unique solutions or products I have overlooked?
        >

        > <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow(ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com')>

      • Dan Trainor
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
          I like anchor bridles, but sometimes I use a riding sail. wind/current. Riding sails when properly set up, work great too for stopping/reducing "sailing around the anchor".

          --
          Dan
        • Carter Brey