Anchor bridle ideas?

  • JohnF
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013
      Any fresh ideas for making an anchor bridle?

      Typically we take a spare line and attach it to the nylon anchor rode with a kleimheist hitch or some fancy knot. I'd feel more comfortable with some kind of mechanical connection (gadget, caribiner, etc.) but these things only seem to be available for attachment to chain rodes. Has anyone come up with unique solutions or products I have overlooked?
    • Ken Jenkins
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013

        Well you are already one up on me. When we had a catamaran, I used to create a bridle using what the Boy Scouts referred to as a taut line hitch. Never had a problem with it slipping on 3 strand nylon. A kleimheist hitch ought to be much better. Actually, even if it slips, it is not catastrophic as you have one line directly from the anchor to the bow. The only problem is the boat then starts sailing at anchor.

        Ken Jenkins

        Any fresh ideas for making an anchor bridle?

        Typically we take a spare line and attach it to the nylon anchor rode with a kleimheist hitch or some fancy knot. I'd feel more comfortable with some kind of mechanical connection (gadget, caribiner, etc.) but these things only seem to be available for attachment to chain rodes. Has anyone come up with unique solutions or products I have overlooked?

      • Carter Brey
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013

          Why not put an Alpine butterfly loop in your rode just above the waterline? Then simply fasten the distal end of your snub or bridle to that with whatever you like-- a bowline, a buntline hitch, a becket hitch, an anchor bend, etc.

          Carter Brey
          S28-II Delphine
          City Island, NY

          On Mar 6, 2013 4:25 PM, "JohnF" <jl_folk@...> wrote:

          Any fresh ideas for making an anchor bridle?

          Typically we take a spare line and attach it to the nylon anchor rode with a kleimheist hitch or some fancy knot. I'd feel more comfortable with some kind of mechanical connection (gadget, caribiner, etc.) but these things only seem to be available for attachment to chain rodes. Has anyone come up with unique solutions or products I have overlooked?

        • JOHN CALLIS
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
            Are you saying that an anchor bridle has the ability to stop a boat from sailing at anchor.  I was going to get a riding sail for this summer to prevent sailing at anchor, but if this works I will give it a try.

            Please explain.

            John

            ___________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
              I don't think an anchor bridle is going to keep a boat from sailing at anchor.  A bridle is useful to reduce the swing room and maybe as insurance in case one drags, but unless the wind is perfectly aligned so the load is shared, the boat is actually swinging on one or the other.  And even when perfectly aligned, some of the anchors' resistance is wasted on the part of the load vector pulling the anchors together.

              Anchoring is very personal.  I doubt that two people on the list have exactly the same opinions.  But it's also the subject on which more non-sense as been written than any other boating topic.

              Those of us in New England are in the eye of (yet another) howling nor'easter.  So, to warm the blood if not the spirit, why do you want to set anchors in a bridle?

              Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:26 PM

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013

                I'm not sure if the original post was made with reference to a catamaran, but there *is* a situation in which a bridle does make sense for a monohull.

                If you are in a particularly rolly anchorage, let's say with the wind from the North, and a tidal current surge is hitting you from the West, you can reduce rolling by basically springing the rode. A length of dockline attached to the rode (rolling hitch, alpine butterfly loop, whatever) and brought aft to a starboard midship or transom cleat will point the bow more toward the waves.

                It can also work, with no adverse current, simply to reduce sailing around the anchor, like a riding sail.

                You can adjust the angle of incidence into the waves by taking in or paying out the bridle.

                CB

                Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:26 PM

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
                  Ken's post was in reference to a catamaran. The cat is very wide, and if the anchor goes to only one hull, it will lay at a nice angle for sailing. The bridle brings the anchor line of force to the center of the boat.

                  Harry

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, JOHN CALLIS <jsts@...> wrote:

                  > Are you saying that an anchor bridle has the ability to stop a boat from
                  > sailing at anchor. I was going to get a riding sail for this summer to
                  > prevent sailing at anchor, but if this works I will give it a try.
                  >
                  > Please explain.
                  >
                  > John
                  >
                  > On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Ken Jenkins wrote:
                  >

                  > Well you are already one up on me. When we had a catamaran, I used to
                  > create a bridle using what the Boy Scouts referred to as a taut line
                  > hitch. Never had a problem with it slipping on 3 strand nylon. A
                  > kleimheist hitch ought to be much better. Actually, even if it slips, it
                  > is not catastrophic as you have one line directly from the anchor to the
                  > bow. The only problem is the boat then starts sailing at anchor.
                  > Ken Jenkins
                  >
                  > ___________________________________

                • Ken Jenkins
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013

                    Harry is correct, although I had thought that the use of a bridle on a monohull was to weather cock the boat to the wind when wind and wave directions differ. I seem to recall that it is also supposed to have some effect in reducing sailing at anchor. I have never used a bridle on a monohull so I can’t comment on whether or not this is true. I will note that the cat really rode well to a bridle with virtually no sailing at anchor so we always used a bridle. Also, the windage is much lower on a cat when it is head to wind, so there was a lot less anchor load.

                    Ken

                    Ken's post was in reference to a catamaran. The cat is very wide, and if the anchor goes to only one hull, it will lay at a nice angle for sailing. The bridle brings the anchor line of force to the center of the boat.

                    Harry

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, JOHN CALLIS <jsts@...> wrote:

                    > Are you saying that an anchor bridle has the ability to stop a boat from
                    > sailing at anchor. I was going to get a riding sail for this summer to
                    > prevent sailing at anchor, but if this works I will give it a try.
                    >
                    > Please explain.
                    >
                    > John
                    >
                    > On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Ken Jenkins wrote:
                    >

                    > Well you are already one up on me. When we had a catamaran, I used to
                    > create a bridle using what the Boy Scouts referred to as a taut line
                    > hitch. Never had a problem with it slipping on 3 strand nylon. A
                    > kleimheist hitch ought to be much better. Actually, even if it slips, it
                    > is not catastrophic as you have one line directly from the anchor to the
                    > bow. The only problem is the boat then starts sailing at anchor.
                    > Ken Jenkins
                    >
                    > ___________________________________

                    href="mailto:%26%2339%3Bygroupsnotifications%40yahoogroups.com">ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com')>

                  • JohnF
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
                      Carter - Interesting idea, this is a new knot to me (now that i have googled "Alpine Butterfly Loop").

                        Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:26 PM

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                          I have on occasion  used a bridle on my 28 when the current is at odds with the wind sometime i circle around the anchor.
                           I open up the 3 strand at the water line and splice in another same size line just a couple of tucks 3-4 than pay out both and adjust the  bridle so i don't sail on the anchor..
                           I have found letting the wind at the   quarter  helps the boat stand still at anchor..  Lee fla

                          Harry is correct, although I had thought that the use of a bridle on a monohull was to weather cock the boat to the wind when wind and wave directions differ. I seem to recall that it is also supposed to have some effect in reducing sailing at anchor. I have never used a bridle on a monohull so I can’t comment on whether or not this is true. I will note that the cat really rode well to a bridle with virtually no sailing at anchor so we always used a bridle. Also, the windage is much lower on a cat when it is head to wind, so there was a lot less anchor load.
                          Ken

                          Ken's post was in reference to a catamaran. The cat is very wide, and if the anchor goes to only one hull, it will lay at a nice angle for sailing. The bridle brings the anchor line of force to the center of the boat.

                          Harry

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, JOHN CALLIS <jsts@...> wrote:

                          > Are you saying that an anchor bridle has the ability to stop a boat from
                          > sailing at anchor. I was going to get a riding sail for this summer to
                          > prevent sailing at anchor, but if this works I will give it a try.
                          >
                          > Please explain.
                          >
                          > John
                          >
                          > On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Ken Jenkins wrote:
                          >

                          > Well you are already one up on me. When we had a catamaran, I used to
                          > create a bridle using what the Boy Scouts referred to as a taut line
                          > hitch. Never had a problem with it slipping on 3 strand nylon. A
                          > kleimheist hitch ought to be much better. Actually, even if it slips, it
                          > is not catastrophic as you have one line directly from the anchor to the
                          > bow. The only problem is the boat then starts sailing at anchor.
                          > Ken Jenkins

                        • Dan Trainor
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                            I like anchor bridles, but sometimes I use a riding sail. wind/current. Riding sails when properly set up, work great too for stopping/reducing "sailing around the anchor".

                            --
                            Dan
                          • Carter Brey