Re: S32 ice box insulation

  • tpm1950
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2013
      When I said I'd run unit mainly off shore power, I meant that I'd get a DC refrigeration unit and run in mainly when docked, with shore power charging the batteries. I'm meeting with yard next week to add a battery charger. Also want to hear what they say about a battery monitor. So this year I learn how long I can keep refrigerator on while sailing.
      Tim

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2013
        A couple of responses to your future projects listed in this email.

        * Battery charger. You have a smaller boat, and may well have a smaller battery. Don't fall for "bigger is better" because sometimes it doesn't matter. I have a pair of 225Ah golf cart batteries -- probably as large or larger than your battery. I have a 40A TrueCharge, and I don't think I've ever seen it put out more than 30A, and even that only lasts for a few minutes before it starts to taper off. And even a 10A charger will charge your batteries overnight -- a bigger one just charges it faster. I suspect you would be very well served by a 20A charger, saving considerable money. NOTE: Size is not important, but "Brains" ARE. Make sure you get a decent multi-stage charger.

        * Monitor. This is really critical, and tells far more than a volt meter or ammeter can. The only thing better is perhaps a hygrometer, which is a real hassle. The Victron unit is very nice (see MainSail's install writeup). I went with a real "dark horse," a unit made by Bogart Engineering for off-grid and RV use. I like the feature set, especially the ability to monitor volts on two different batteries. It is not "rated" for marine use, but it is in a very nice plastic box with minimal penetrations, and I don't expect a lot of salt spray at its location below decks. It has been aboard two years with no problems yet. The one challenge to consider (for any brand) is cost-benefit. If you do a couple overnights a year, you probably don't get good ROI on the install, as battery monitors are pricey.

        Good luck,

        Harry
        Analysis
        Mill Creek, Annapolis

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2013
          One way to avoid an unwanted ...Strike that.  OK, if you get foam, be sure that you get the type for sealing and insulating windows and doors.  It has much reduced expansion  specifically to avoid distorting (or breaking) window and door frames.
          Pete

          On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

          I did this on my boat pretty much as you said, but keep in mind the expanding foam does expand, I was fortunate it did not break thru the fiberglass, but my refrigerator looks like it's a little pregnant ...Jules Bender 362/110

          On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM, shorthandedsailor <mikecnewbury76@...> wrote:

          If you think there are any voids between your ice box and the hull you can use expaning foam to fill them and imnprove the insulation. I did this on one of my boats. You drill a series of holes through the ice box and regular intervals 6" to 8" then insert a small tube that comes with the foam canister and fill the voids. A little gell coat patch to repair the hole and you are done. It is a lot better than removing and rebuilding the ice box. If you can get access through the cabinets then you don't need to drillholes. Good luck. Mike S402 #37