Marine Head S34

  • THOMAS JOHNSON
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
      I replaced my holding tank hoses (to thru-hull and deck, to head).  My Wilcox-Crittentden head is toast and needs replacement.  Am I correct in my measurements in thinking that a Jabsco full size marine head will not fit?  What are owners putting in to replace the Wilcox Crittenden?

      This weekend I will also be replacing my water-tank vent and intake hoses as well.

      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013

        Most of us who have replaced our heads have used the Raritan PHII or the compact version. They work and are reliable. Two important characteristics for a head!  The PHII will fit in a S30 MK I. Watch the defender sales for the best price.

        Dave

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 12:19 PM, THOMAS JOHNSON wrote:

        I replaced my holding tank hoses (to thru-hull and deck, to head).  My Wilcox-Crittentden head is toast and needs replacement.  Am I correct in my measurements in thinking that a Jabsco full size marine head will not fit?  What are owners putting in to replace the Wilcox Crittenden?

        This weekend I will also be replacing my water-tank vent and intake hoses as well.

        Thanks!

      • Scott

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                If your holding tank vent hose has not been upgraded to 1" , I would encourage you to add that to the list as well.

                It's documented in other threads on this board, but I just completed this project this winter and can answer any questions off line, just email me.

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <tomsppath@...> wrote:

                > I replaced my holding tank hoses (to thru-hull and deck, to head).  My Wilcox-Crittentden head is toast and needs replacement.  Am I correct in my measurements in thinking that a Jabsco full size marine head will not fit?  What are owners putting in to replace the Wilcox Crittenden?
                >
                > This weekend I will also be replacing my water-tank vent and intake hoses as well.
                >
                > Thanks!

              • Dave Evans
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                  John,
                  Did you put a new fitting on the top of the holding tank?
                  dge

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON wrote:

                  > I replaced my holding tank hoses (to thru-hull and deck, to head).  My Wilcox-Crittentden head is toast and needs replacement.  Am I correct in my measurements in thinking that a Jabsco full size marine head will not fit?  What are owners putting in to replace the Wilcox Crittenden?
                  >
                  > This weekend I will also be replacing my water-tank vent and intake hoses as well.
                  >
                  > Thanks!

                • JohnF
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                    Dave - I used the Uniseal method. Here's two pictures. In one you can see the old vent line, and the Uniseal has been inserted. In the second one, you can see the finished project. Uniseal, elbow, and new hose in place, and a cap on the old fitting.

                    Smiley face Smiley face

                  • Brooks Wright
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                      Ditto for me on the PHII. Replaced our old W-C with PHII on our S34 and it's been great.

                      Brooks

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                        When you replace your head be sure to add the looped hose vents as per Peggie's instructions. They're in
                        the archives if you can find them.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                          See, you had us all singing from the same sheet, almost in tune, and then you mentioned WM. It's all downhill from here...

                          You'll enjoy your PHII.

                          Harry

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Johnson <tomsppath@...> wrote:

                          > Good enough! I ordered one thru WM. be here tomorrow. Thanks
                          >
                          > Sent from my iPad
                          >
                          > On Feb 28, 2013, at 9:29 AM, Scott <targa387@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Unlike varnish, oil or other items the group may disagree on, the PHII is the top dog amongst the group. I have one, it is leaps and bounds better then the original WC.
                          > >

                          > > Scott
                          > > On Feb 28, 2013, at 12:19 PM, THOMAS JOHNSON wrote:
                          > >

                          > >> I replaced my holding tank hoses (to thru-hull and deck, to head). My Wilcox-Crittentden head is toast and needs replacement. Am I correct in my measurements in thinking that a Jabsco full size marine head will not fit? What are owners putting in to replace the Wilcox Crittenden?
                          > >>
                          > >> This weekend I will also be replacing my water-tank vent and intake hoses as well.
                          > >>
                          > >> Thanks!

                        • Dave Evans
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                            John,
                            Thanks. Peggie always raved about these. They really do work then? Can put two in this way, even more of what Peggie likes.
                            dge

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                              Hi - good pics - ok, for the replacement of the 5/8" ID vent hose to the 1" as shown - can one get to the vent fitting end by climbing forward in the pic or do you have to take off the access panel from the anchor locker?

                              My access panel is original and is looks quite "permanent" .- I certainly could break it open however  if need be.

                              What is the advantage of the 1" over the 5/8" - what are symptoms of not venting correctly? - as everything seems to work well.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                                O - forgot - that WM price ( ) was better by far!

                                See, you had us all singing from the same sheet, almost in tune, and then you mentioned WM. It's all downhill from here...

                                You'll enjoy your PHII.

                                Harry

                                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Johnson wrote:

                                > Good enough! I ordered one thru WM. be here tomorrow. Thanks
                                >
                                > Sent from my iPad
                                >
                                > On Feb 28, 2013, at 9:29 AM, Scott wrote:
                                >
                                > > Unlike varnish, oil or other items the group may disagree on, the PHII is the top dog amongst the group. I have one, it is leaps and bounds better then the original WC.
                                > >

                                > > Scott
                                > > On Feb 28, 2013, at 12:19 PM, THOMAS JOHNSON wrote:
                                > >

                                > >> I replaced my holding tank hoses (to thru-hull and deck, to head). My Wilcox-Crittentden head is toast and needs replacement. Am I correct in my measurements in thinking that a Jabsco full size marine head will not fit? What are owners putting in to replace the Wilcox Crittenden?
                                > >>
                                > >> This weekend I will also be replacing my water-tank vent and intake hoses as well.
                                > >>
                                > >> Thanks!

                              • JohnF
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
                                  Does it work better? Ask me in August!

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
                                    You will have to remove the access panel in the anchor locker to access the through hull vent. You will need to replace the old through hull with a 1 inch version. Something like this:

                                    http://search.defender.com/?expression=whitecap+s-3809&x=0&y=0

                                    Use a hole saw enlarger to neatly expand the old hole in the hull. This gadget lets you mount two hole saws on the same spindle. One acts as a guide in the old hole, while the other cuts out the new hole.

                                    The advantages of this project, well, mainly reduced smell. Bigger vent = more air reaches the nasty stuff = promotion of aerobic bacteria digestion of the biological wastes

                                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <tomsppath@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi - good pics - ok, for the replacement of the 5/8" ID vent hose to the 1" as shown - can one get to the vent fitting end by climbing forward in the pic or do you have to take off the access panel from the anchor locker?
                                    >
                                    > My access panel is original and is looks quite "permanent" .- I certainly could break it open however  if need be.
                                    >
                                    > What is the advantage of the 1" over the 5/8" - what are symptoms of not venting correctly? - as everything seems to work well.

                                  • Dan Trainor
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
                                      +1 PHII

                                      --
                                      Dan
                                    • Martin
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
                                        Another option is to leave the original 5/8" line, replacing the silly chrome through hull with a straight open marelon one, and then add the 1" line with its through hull next to the 5/8" one. Alternatively you can place the 1" line on the opposite side of the bow to provide cross ventilation. I put them both on the same (original) side and it greatly reduced odor. No odor in boat at all now.

                                        Martin

                                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "JohnF" <jl_folk@...> wrote:

                                        > You will have to remove the access panel in the anchor locker to access the through hull vent. You will need to replace the old through hull with a 1 inch version. Something like this:
                                        >
                                        > http://search.defender.com/?expression=whitecap+s-3809&x=0&y=0
                                        >
                                        > Use a hole saw enlarger to neatly expand the old hole in the hull. This gadget lets you mount two hole saws on the same spindle. One acts as a guide in the old hole, while the other cuts out the new hole.
                                        >
                                        > The advantages of this project, well, mainly reduced smell. Bigger vent = more air reaches the nasty stuff = promotion of aerobic bacteria digestion of the biological wastes
                                        >

                                        > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <tomsppath@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Hi - good pics - ok, for the replacement of the 5/8" ID vent hose to the 1" as shown - can one get to the vent fitting end by climbing forward in the pic or do you have to take off the access panel from the anchor locker?
                                        > >
                                        > > My access panel is original and is looks quite "permanent" .- I certainly could break it open however  if need be.
                                        > >
                                        > > What is the advantage of the 1" over the 5/8" - what are symptoms of not venting correctly? - as everything seems to work well.

                                      • sailaway0608
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 20 10:09 AM
                                          When replacing the old W-C head with the PHII, what do you recommend for lines; both incoming and to the holding tank??

                                          I am getting ready to make the switch and would appreciate opinions.
                                          Also, is this a job to be done while in the water, or best done on the hard???

                                          Thanks,

                                          Rich
                                          1986 Sabre 36

                                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Brooks Wright <bwright847@...> wrote:

                                          > When you replace your head be sure to add the looped hose vents as per Peggie's instructions. They're in
                                          > the archives if you can find them.

                                        • Bennett Kaufman
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 20 2:17 PM
                                            Check the archives--there has been a lot of discussion about what type of hoses to use on sanitation systems. Peggy Hall has provided valuable insight and suggestions in this regard. I don't remember the manufacturer (Trident, Shields) or the part numbers.

                                            No need to haul out if your boat is currently in the water: head/hose replacement can readily be done either in the water or on the hard. I replaced my W-C with a PHC while the boat was in the water.

                                            I don't know about the bolt pattern for the PHIII base, but for the PHC, two of the existing bolt holes fit the new base, leaving only two new holes to be drilled to fit the base, and only two old holes to be filled and smoothed. I had to do a little shaping/angling of the existing holes for the intake and exhaust hoses. A hair dryer can be used to soften the hoses to allow some extra bend to be put in them, and heating the ends also makes it easier to fit the ends over the toilet intake and exhaust ports.

                                            ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)