Re: Shopping for a RIB and outboard at the the Boston Boat Show

  • mhrutstein
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
      Thanks for the informative response.

      To address the how-much-fuel-do-I-have-left issue they have developed a composite see-through refillable canister. Not sure of the capacity but it is maybe 1/2 to 2/3 the capacity of the tank that sits under your backyard grill. It has a smaller footprint, doesn't rust, etc.

      Anyone have a Highfield aluminum RIB?

      Mike
      STBNL
    • Allison Lehman
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
        Mike,
        One other thing to take into consideration is the dificuluty of managing bringing onboard an aluminum rib.  Specifically, sooner or later, conditions will dictate that you not tow it any longer.  At that point most likely it will be windy and while you will have an helper (presumably a halyard) you will be slinging something abound in the wind that will potentially chew up either your boat's toe rail or topsiders.

        I have seen this happen a couple of times as it is very difficult to control if you have to pull it out on the windward side.  If you can use the leeward side then its just an issue of getting it near enough to the boat to land it.

        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
          That's a good point, and it reinforces the idea that there is no one perfect dinghy. Some are great for coastal-cruising boats and some are good for ocean-crossing boats; some make good tenders for a 30-footer and others for a 40-footer. No one dinghy is going to meet all these needs.

          I feel that unless I am crossing oceans, I can pick my weather, and as long as I get the engine and fuel tank out I am going to be able to tow a RIB in most conditions. Last Monday I sailed 30 miles from Anguilla to St. Barts in 20-25 knots of wind and seas 6-8 feet with some occasional whoppers thrown in. With the engine safely mounted on my stern rail and the fuel tank secured in my cockpit, our nine-foot Tui RIB skated happily behind us all the way.

          Mike
          STBNL
        • David and Catherine Allin
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
            I believe that it entirely depends upon what you wish to do with the boat.  On Lake Champlain we had a Zodiac with an inflatable floor , which eventually rotted at the transom when it got into salt water but was entirely suitabel for the little use it got there..

            Now we spend about six months in the Bahamas, and here the dinghy of choice is either AB or Caribe, with possibly Brig and Nouverama coming in distant places.  We have a 9'06" AB with fibreglass bottom and 8 HP Yamaha engine which will allow us to plane with two aboard. It is the lighter one not having the locker forward and we heave it on deck using our electric winch and the spinaker halyard.  For ocean passages it lives upside down on the fore deck otherwise it is towed.  Yamaha engines are the engine of choice and spares etc are available in most places.

            Perhaps this is not " p c " enough for some, but our dinghy is continuously used every day, and sometimes for long distances... it is our car and we want it to be as safe and as comfortable and as reliable as possible.
            Cheers.

            David & Catherine Allin
          • mhrutstein
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
              I am sure there are folks who'd prefer you to buy a four-stroke... or row ashore... not having cruised extensively I am not sure how practical that would be. On my last bareboat charter, we would had some LONG rows to make if not for the Mercury OB.

              I assume in the Bahamas that Hypalon dinghies are desirable.
            • David B. Witherill
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
                I have a Lehr 2.5 outboard that I am currently using in the Bahamas.   Great engine.   I use a 5 lb propane tank that can be refilled, but it also takes a 1 pound bottle that I carry as spare fuel.   The weight was almost identical to 2.5 HP gas four strokes.   Not sure how the new 9.9 stacks up.   It is great not to have to carry gas on board.   With a 10' dinghy you could carry a 10 lb bottle without any trouble.

                Dave
                Pathfinder, 34 #328

              • mhrutstein
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
                  That's great to know, Dave. What kind and how big is your dinghy?
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 25, 2013
                    Case in point:  Last summer we were heading east.  The wind, mostly unforecast, was honking out of the SE at 25 knots apparent and 6-8 foot following seas.  We were towing a 9' Avon with a high pressure flow.  The motor was on the rail and everything in the dinghy was tied down.  Off Cape Porpoise, the dinghy painter parted.  Bummer.  We were able come up to it on the windward side and flip it back upright with a boat hook.  and we're still married.

                    A RIB without a motor was probably possible to salvage.  A RIB with a 88 lb. outboard, no way.

                    If you have an outboard that is a major PITA to pull up to the rail, you're going to leave on the dinghy when you don't expect trouble.  And that's when trouble happens.

                    Why do you need a 10 hp motor for a dinghy that is used so infrequently that the "gas goes bad."

                    Incidentally, "gas goes bad" is more often that not water absorbed by ethanol precipitating out, forming a tiny water ball blocking the carburetor jet.   This can -- and has been -- designed around by modern outboards.  This may be an excuse for new engine (anyone want a Johnson 3hp that doesn't start?), but it isn't a reason to go to propane.  The Johnson took about a half hour of work to expose the carburetor.  My current Mercury 6 hp has the carburetor sitting fully exposed on a little pedestal.

                    On 2/25/2013 12:14 PM, mhrutstein wrote:

                    That's a good point, and it reinforces the idea that there is no one perfect dinghy. Some are great for coastal-cruising boats and some are good for ocean-crossing boats; some make good tenders for a 30-footer and others for a 40-footer. No one dinghy is going to meet all these needs.

                    I feel that unless I am crossing oceans, I can pick my weather, and as long as I get the engine and fuel tank out I am going to be able to tow a RIB in most conditions. Last Monday I sailed 30 miles from Anguilla to St. Barts in 20-25 knots of wind and seas 6-8 feet with some occasional whoppers thrown in. With the engine safely mounted on my stern rail and the fuel tank secured in my cockpit, our nine-foot Tui RIB skated happily behind us all the way.

                    Mike
                    STBNL

                  • Janice Kowalke
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                      From my expierence with fuel that seems to have water/moisture that affects any engine, I have found this product to as close to a miracle cure as I have found.  I have recommended it to multiple friends for gas and diesel (different products) and they all have found it to have resolved most of their fuel related issues.

                      One friend spent approx. $800 on repairs to a 2004 vintage Honda 90 four stroke to resolve hard to start and rough idling, which did not significantly improve the situation.  After using the product as directed and then as a maintenance additive, they no longer have any issues.  This friend is a "I won't believe it until I prove it" type and now recommends this product to all.

                      This is my opinion based on my results.  I don't want to start any fuel additive war.

                      Jan

                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013

                        My powerboat mechanic said to me if you pour K100-MG in a tank of p..s it will burn fine, a bit of exaggeration but it sure does work great.  My old, dare I say, hard starting 2 stroke jet ski starts right up like it's not 13 years old.  I swear by this for gas applications.  Do get the marine version as it has more water removing additive in it.

                        Charlie

                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                          One recommendation, which may have come from this forum. is to stop by your local private aviation airport and pick up aviation gas--it does not contain alcohol, and is therefore free from the water-retaining issues of gas from the gas-station pump. It also seems to have a longer "shelf life" (i.e., doesn't go "bad" over a season). Yes, it costs more than gas-station fuel, but it's a lot cheaper than an engine or carburetor overhaul, and does not degrade the rubber hoses. I've used it in in my 2-stroke (horrors!) Nissan 5 HP for several seasons, and my outboard mechanic always comments on how clean the carb, etc. look.

                          ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)

                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013

                            The local marinas in upstate NY seem to be able to get alcohol free gas.  There is even a gas station in Watertown that sells alcohol free high test.  I don't know how they do this but I use it in all my low usage applications, along with K100-MG.

                            Charlie

                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                              You should be aware that this is illegal.  Aviation (100LL -- low lead) is lower in lead than the interior of a lead-acid battery, but just so.  It is low lead only in comparison to aviation fuels that preceded it.  It is also prone to fouling plugs, even with plugs designed for it and scavenging procedures during engine shutdown.  Leaded fuel is legal only in aircraft.

                              There are two other good reasons not to do this.  Until another general aviation fuel is certificated and existing engines are approved for a new fuel (we're talking a decade here), 90+% of general aviation piston aircraft depend on the availability of 100LL.  If the EPA were to detect significant leakage from GA to other uses, their margin tolerance of 100LL for aviation use might break.

                              The other reason is it's around $6.50 a gallon.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                                Gasoline is shipped from the refinery sans alcohol.  The alcohol is added further down the delivery chain.  If you can find it, get it.

                                A modest number of GA aircraft have gotten approval for "mogas", but only has without alcohol.  If you hang for a bit at your local airport on a nice Saturday afternoon and ask around, you should be able to identify a source.

                                Aviation fuel on airplane lists is what varnish is to the Sabre list.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                                  Ben,

                                  Freeway, or Lee? I'm thinking of it for lawnmowers, weed wackers, chain saws, and other lightly used household engines.

                                  Harry

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                                    The alternative, around here, is around $6/quart, sold at the local farm supply place!

                                    Or, according to Pure-Gas.Com, the nearest road station is in Easton, or 50 miles from here.

                                    Harry

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                                      The airport in/near Edgewater...Lee, I think it is.

                                      ben kaufman

                                      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bennett Kaufman wrote:

                                      > One recommendation, which may have come from this forum. is to stop by your local private aviation airport and pick up aviation gas--it does not contain alcohol, and is therefore free from the water-retaining issues of gas from the gas-station pump. It also seems to have a longer "shelf life" (i.e., doesn't go "bad" over a season). Yes, it costs more than gas-station fuel, but it's a lot cheaper than an engine or carburetor overhaul, and does not degrade the rubber hoses. I've used it in in my 2-stroke (horrors!) Nissan 5 HP for several seasons, and my outboard mechanic always comments on how clean the carb, etc. look.
                                      >
                                      > ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)

                                    • Bennett Kaufman
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                                        I haven't bought avgas in a while, so I can't give you any idea about the price. Last time I got any (last Spring), it was about $1.00/gallon more than regular unleaded gasoline at the gas statin nearby.

                                        Just don't let Jim Starkey catch you using it....he'll report you to the EPA!

                                        ben kaufman

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                                          Tell you what --- you don't tell the EPA I sold a 22 year old Sabre 36 with a virgin holding tank and I won't report anyone to the EPA for squandering avgas in an outboard.  Deal?

                                          On 2/26/2013 6:44 PM, Bennett Kaufman wrote:

                                          I haven't bought avgas in a while, so I can't give you any idea about the price. Last time I got any (last Spring), it was about $1.00/gallon more than regular unleaded gasoline at the gas statin nearby.

                                          Just don't let Jim Starkey catch you using it....he'll report you to the EPA!

                                          ben kaufman
                                          The alternative, around here, is around $6/quart, sold at the local farm supply place!

                                          Or, according to Pure-Gas.Com, the nearest road station is in Easton, or 50 miles from here.

                                          Harry

                                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Starkey wrote:

                                          > The other reason is it's around $6.50 a gallon.

                                        • walkabout193
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 27, 2013
                                            Mike
                                            We bought our boat 5 years back, and with three kids decided upon a large RIB. At first we purchased an 8 hp merc OB, but within a week realizing its weight would be an issue exchanged it for the 6 hp model. With just me and the dog she planes up real nice. After two summers of manhandling the engine on and off the dink we purchased a lift from Kato. Not only well made, it has a one point fastener system allowing us to take it off and on easily. It's a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. We never travel with the OB on the dink. And when we travel offshore the dink goes on the foredeck, upside down, deflated, securely lashed. We use a spare halyard to lift it and its no sweat. The size of our dink on the boe end presents some access difficulties flying the spinnaker as getting around it on the bow is tight. As the kids start to peel away however we plan on downsizing to the smallest RIB on the market.
                                            Len Bertaux
                                            Walkabout S38mkii

                                            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mhrutstein" <mhrutstein@...> wrote:

                                            > I'm in the market for a new dinghy and OB and shopped the boat show today. It was the last day of the how and I thought I might get some good pricing.
                                            >
                                            > I am looking at RIBs in the 9.5'-10.5' range, which means say $2500 in PVC or $3500 in Hypalon. I was intrigued by the Highfield Classic line of boats which are RIBs with aluminum instead of fiberglass hulls. I was under the impression they were built by Caribe, but their brochure lists an address in China.
                                            >
                                            > Anyone have experience with these boats?
                                            >
                                            > The Lehr propane outboards now have a 9.9 HP engine at the top of their line for $2700 and I am VERY interested. We use our dinghy sporadically, the gas goes bad, and I end up cleaning my carburetor. These engines are very clean and of course propane is readily available and doesn;t go bad.
                                            >
                                            > Any thoughts?
                                            >
                                            > Mike
                                            > Sabre To Be Named Later

                                          • mhrutstein
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 27, 2013
                                              Thanks, Len, I will look for that Kato product!
                                            • jay4868
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 14, 2013
                                                On the subject of dingy towing I have been using a version of a "Dingy Tow" mechanism that tows the dingy backwards (motor on)
                                                tethered to the main ship stern.  We have been in all kinds of weather and sea conditions without any difficulty at all.  Its the most convenient system I have found although it looks a bit odd.

                                                Joe M
                                                Ceapach S38M1

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 14, 2013

                                                  Is this what you are using?  http://dinghy-tow.com/