Re: Can't see pics - Windows 8

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
      My 2 cents? Win7 is the new XP -- in a decade or so, a suitable replacement will come along.

      Harry

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Barend Brink <barendb@...> wrote:

      > Ouch, it is hard to hear such words from a consumer.
      >

      > Thanks for the feedback though Jim. I'm not directly responsible for
      > developing Windows, so I cannot promise any improvements in our next
      > version.
      >

      > //Barend

    • Sid
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2013
        Never mind... suddenly I am able to see the imbedded pics. As I noted in the original post, I was using the desktop IE, and was unable to see the pics, but suddenly they are back, so that is a non-issue.

        But I cannot fathom what the designers at Microsoft were thinking to build a "single" operating system with that is actually 2 totally incompatible systems, and tends to jump you from one to another unless you install 3rd party software. I'm surprised no one thought that was a bad idea.

        As far as I am concerned, I can find nothing in Metro that is good... basically slow interfaces and preschool graphics, with less capabilities than any of the desktop alternatives. And they do stupid stuff like using a pdf reader that is incompatible with desktop, so if you click on a pdf link in desktop IE, you get stuck in Metro never-neverland, unless you install Adobe Reader directly. No one commented on this in Beta?

        I guess Microsoft does learn from their mistakes, since every second version of Windows, (98,XP,windows 7) is great. Unfortunately I have seemed to have the off ones on my home machines: Me, Vista, and now Windows 8. I look forward to Windows 9.

        Nuff ranting. My pic issue turns out to be a non-issue, or it fixed itself.

        Sid

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 28, 2013
          Let explain what's going on in the Microsoft world and why Win8 is so delusionally bad.  This would be a good time to hit "delete" if you don't care intensely about the computer world.  Please don't say I didn't warn you.

          Microsoft makes most of it's money off Windows operating systems and the Office product suite.  They get a licensing royalty for just about every PC sold excepts Macs, and between boot-camp and Windows in a virtual machine, get Window license fees for big hunk of Macs as well.  For years, Microsoft was money machine.

          The iPad is huge threat to Microsoft.  The iPad is cannibalizing the PC market as non-technical folks find it can do almost everything they need on a computer -- and more.  The PC industry is beginning to seriously hurt -- declining sales -- and this hurt translates directly into Microsoft hurt.  Making thing much worse for Microsoft is that they pay their employees more in Microsoft stock than money.  If the revenue doesn't grow, the stock tanks, Microsoft has to pay employees real money, their profit margin dwindles, and the stock tanks some more.  Bad.

          Microsoft has had a tablet version of WinXP for years and years and years.  But its really not a tablet OS -- it's just WinXP with a stylus.  A total market flop.  Going absolutely nowhere.

          When Apple invented the iPad, they recognized that a tablet was not a notebook with a stylus but a completely different beast (known in the biz as a platform shift) that needed a new and dedicated interface that could be worked with a couple of fingers and that Mac-on-a-tablet would go approximately nowhere.  So they recycled the guts of the Mac and designed a purpose-built user interface for a touch driven computer (see a possibly forthcoming "apple fan boy" post).  And, as it turns out, they were brilliantly successful.  The impact of the iPad is almost impossible to estimate.  Airline pilots now carry an iPad instead of a suite case of manuals.  A handful of iPad apps have almost stopped the sale of paper charts in both the aviation and marine worlds, to name just a few.

          Microsoft decided they needed to leverage their dominant position in PCs to recapture the tablet space.  Their strategy is something like this:  First, design a tablet friendly user interface.  Lets call it Metro.  Second, establish their own product lines of tablets to set the bar on platform quality (in other words, they didn't want to wait for an OEM to get religion and build a first class hardware platform).  Third, put Metro on *all* new PCs and offer dirty cheap upgrades (sic) to existing PCs.  Fourth, use the Microsoft Azure cloud to synchronize a users tablet(s) and PC(s).  (For backward compatibility, they had to include most of the WIN7 interface).  If successful, a Microsoft user will see a Metro tablet as an extension of their work computer and their home computer an extension of their tablet.

          The only serious flaw in this strategy is that a tablet user interface on a PC sucks worse than a PC user interface on a tablet.  This is a strategy that could only come from a giant technology company run by a bullet headed sales guy.  If you want Microsoft's internal regard for Balmer's grand game, look at the turnover rate in the top echelons of Microsoft's technical hierarchy.  There are an awful lot a very smart folks leaving "to spend more time with their families", i.e. don't have a new start lined up yet, or "pursue other business interests", i.e. do.

          The truth is that Win8 with a start button and without the metro interface is an even better Win7.  Sooner or later reality will trump religion and Microsoft will let Win8 be a worthy successor to Win7.  I have no doubt that the code is already there waiting for the patch to turn it on.  But it won't happen until Microsoft concludes that gain the tablet business will over offset the loss in their PC business.

          Sabre relevance:  My S36 had a PC on board networked to a Garmin GPS.  WinXP, of course.  In short, marginal.  But you were warned.

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "barend27" wrote:

          > Hi Sid,
          >
          > I have been using Windows 8 for the past year. (Full disclosure, I work for Microsoft and was running beta versions of the software previously).
          >
          > I don't have any issues with seeing pictures. I'm using Outlook.com to view posts from the Sabre newsgroup. You could try the following:
          > 1. Use the desktop version of IE. (Click on the desktop icon in Win8 and launch IE from the desktop)
          > 2. Use your email browser or email application (outlook, outlook.com or gmail.com etc.)
          >
          > If you are still having trouble, feel free to email me directly and I'll see what I can do to help you. barendb@...
          >
          > Win 8 is a radical change from Win 7 and there is going to be some pain in adopting. The transition is usually pretty quick though. :-)
          >
          > Regards
          > //Barend (Yen Shon, 1989 S34II #376)
          >

          > You can launch the desktop version of IE if you click on the "desktop tile" in the windows 8 UI. That should solve your issue.
          >

          > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Sid" wrote:
          > >
          > > Help:
          > >
          > > I downloaded windows 8 - (Don't ask - just DON'T DO IT), and now I cannot see the imbedded group pics. I'm using the Desktop version of IE 10 (yes, Windows 8 has 2 independent browsers, that cannot see each other's pages - yuk, but that is not the issue here, the desktop version of IE10 looks just like the previous versions).
          > >
          > > Anyway, has anyone else had a problem seeing group pics in IE 10, or know how to fix it?
          > >
          > > Thanks:
          > >
          > > Sid Wax
          > > S-28II 318
          > > Passing Fancy

        • mookiesurfs
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 28, 2013
            Sweet.

            Sent from an elegant interface with limited functionality, while traveling