Re: Brunswick Georgia

  • Skip Hardy
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21 6:12 PM

      We’ve stayed at Brunswick Landing marina during a late season hurricane a few years ago.  The marina is very protected and has concrete floating docks.  The town of Brunswick has nice shops and restaurants within walking distance.  It is close to a paper factory so you can smell it when the wind is from the right direction.   Also, there are some areas of Brunswick nearby that you don’t want to walk in.

      We’ve also stayed at Golden Isle marina on St. Simon’s.  It’s a nice place but not as protected and the current is fierce.  There is a restaurant there but nothing much within walking distance.  Both marinas have good access to the ocean through the St. Simon’s inlet which is a class A inlet.  Jekyll Island is a beautiful place but the inlet is not recommended. (Believe us, you do not want to try it!)  To go sailing you would have to go north through Jekyll Creek which is notoriously shallow to get to St. Simons.  There is a small restaurant at Jekyll Harbor marina and you can walk to the Jekyll harbor club but there isn’t much else close by.  The marina is also right next to a bridge so it can be noisy.  You can check the reviews on Activecaptain.com or contact us off list for more info.

      Harriet and Skip Hardy

      s/v Moondance, S38 MII

    • Randy
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21 7:58 PM