Re: [SabreSailboat] Marine Plastic lumber i.e Starboard

  • mookiesurfs
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 20, 2013
      Marine surplus stores have lots of it from scraps and leftovers. It's the way to go, IF they have what you want.
      Bill B

      Sent from an elegant interface with limited functionality, while traveling

      On Feb 20, 2013, at 5:59 AM, Allison Lehman <allison@...> wrote:

      You might try a trophy shop.  I know my local one carries it.

      Allison

      On Feb 20, 2013, at 7:33 AM, JohnF wrote:

      I recall there are sellers on ebay. Can't speak to pricing; it is expensive everywhere I think.

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
        One of my local lumber yards here in NH has a wide selection of plastic lumber. Much better that Lowes.  Check you local independent lumberyard to see what they have access to.

        A trip to Boulter plywood  in Sommerville to look at their selection is always a great diversion. Ranks right in there with Exotic Lumber in Annapolis and I am not even a wood worker..

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
          I have found Garolite (G10) to be a great material for this sort of project. Really strong, easy to work with and you won't need it to be so thick. It bonds really well to FRP (fiberglass).

          Only downside is it needs painting (out of the box it is a kind of ugly green).

          I did a project with a bunch of Starboard a long time ago - I found a guy in Florida who had great prices even with shipping factored in. If only I could remember his name . . . :-)

          Eric
          Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
          West River, MD

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

          > One of my local lumber yards here in NH has a wide selection of plastic lumber. Much better that Lowes.  Check you local independent lumberyard to see what they have access to.
          > A trip to Boulter plywood  in Sommerville to look at their selection is always a great diversion. Ranks right in there with Exotic Lumber in Annapolis and I am not even a wood worker..

        • Neil Russell
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 23, 2013
            For anyone north of Boston, Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood NH has a very nice selection of woods,
            including teak and mahogany, but also some very nice cherry. They sell rough cut, and also smooth finished.

            $45 for  a 12" x 6' x 3/4" curly cherry board a couple weeks ago...

            "Whisper"
            S362-266
            Salem MA