Re: [SabreSailboat] Marine Plastic lumber i.e Starboard

  • Dave Evans
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 20, 2013
      Probably thinking of Boulter Plywood (.com) on Broadway in Somerville. Looks like they do have Starboard. Amazing selection of teak, ash, everything. All in two or three linked storefronts near Sullivan Square.
      dge

      On 2/20/2013 9:55 AM, g_ingram wrote:

      I am looking for a local supplier of marine plastic lumber (Starboard, Kings Starboard). West Marine sells a product but it is very expensive. I am looking in the Woburn, Boston, Salem, Mass. area. I am looking for sizes 1/2 " 30x50 1/2" by 12x30. Colors white, black, seafoam. I thought someone at West Marine said there was a place in Somerville MA.
      I will be building new panels to mount electronics. I have used this material before and it is very easy to cut and machine and it looks good. The West Marine prices are to high.

      Thanks
      George

    • Allison Lehman
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 20, 2013
        You might try a trophy shop.  I know my local one carries it.

        Allison

        On Feb 20, 2013, at 7:33 AM, JohnF wrote:

        I recall there are sellers on ebay. Can't speak to pricing; it is expensive everywhere I think.

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 20, 2013
          Ebay is a good source, but you can do better there if you aren't so specific. Search on "plastic sheet" for other types of plastics. ABS is a good product that is quite a bit cheaper. Also, Azec (or something like that) at Home Depot is sold as trim material for houses. It's not quite solid, so cut edges don't look good, but if the edges are hidden it looks like a really nice product.

          Harry

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "g_ingram" <george-ingram@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for a local supplier of marine plastic lumber (Starboard, Kings Starboard). West Marine sells a product but it is very expensive. I am looking in the Woburn, Boston, Salem, Mass. area. I am looking for sizes 1/2 " 30x50 1/2" by 12x30. Colors white, black, seafoam. I thought someone at West Marine said there was a place in Somerville MA.
          > I will be building new panels to mount electronics. I have used this material before and it is very easy to cut and machine and it looks good. The West Marine prices are to high.
          >
          > Thanks
          > George

        • mookiesurfs
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 20, 2013
            Marine surplus stores have lots of it from scraps and leftovers. It's the way to go, IF they have what you want.
            Bill B

            Sent from an elegant interface with limited functionality, while traveling

            On Feb 20, 2013, at 5:59 AM, Allison Lehman <allison@...> wrote:

            You might try a trophy shop.  I know my local one carries it.

            Allison

            On Feb 20, 2013, at 7:33 AM, JohnF wrote:

            I recall there are sellers on ebay. Can't speak to pricing; it is expensive everywhere I think.

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "g_ingram" wrote:

            > I am looking for a local supplier of marine plastic lumber (Starboard, Kings Starboard). West Marine sells a product but it is very expensive. I am looking in the Woburn, Boston, Salem, Mass. area. I am looking for sizes 1/2 " 30x50 1/2" by 12x30. Colors white, black, seafoam. I thought someone at West Marine said there was a place in Somerville MA.
            > I will be building new panels to mount electronics. I have used this material before and it is very easy to cut and machine and it looks good. The West Marine prices are to high.
            >
            > Thanks
            > George

          • pbfein
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
              BTW - This is a great idea. I need to redo my panels and this is much simpler then trying to recreate the laminate over plywood construction for the same exact look.

              Peter

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "g_ingram" <george-ingram@...> wrote:

              > I am looking for a local supplier of marine plastic lumber (Starboard, Kings Starboard). West Marine sells a product but it is very expensive. I am looking in the Woburn, Boston, Salem, Mass. area. I am looking for sizes 1/2 " 30x50 1/2" by 12x30. Colors white, black, seafoam. I thought someone at West Marine said there was a place in Somerville MA.
              > I will be building new panels to mount electronics. I have used this material before and it is very easy to cut and machine and it looks good. The West Marine prices are to high.
              >
              > Thanks
              > George

            • Dave Evans
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
                I've always used black Plexiglas for this. It's sturdy, unobtrusive and cuts easily if messily. Wait 'til you cut Azek!
                dge

                On 2/21/2013 10:16 AM, pbfein wrote:

                BTW - This is a great idea. I need to redo my panels and this is much simpler then trying to recreate the laminate over plywood construction for the same exact look.

                Peter

              • shorthandedsailor
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
                  For smaller situations you can substitute plastic cutting boards for starboard. It is really cheap but basically the same material. I have used it in a number of places for repairs and for shelving in the refigerator. Its worth a try. S 402 #37 Mike

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "g_ingram" <george-ingram@...> wrote:

                  > I am looking for a local supplier of marine plastic lumber (Starboard, Kings Starboard). West Marine sells a product but it is very expensive. I am looking in the Woburn, Boston, Salem, Mass. area. I am looking for sizes 1/2 " 30x50 1/2" by 12x30. Colors white, black, seafoam. I thought someone at West Marine said there was a place in Somerville MA.
                  > I will be building new panels to mount electronics. I have used this material before and it is very easy to cut and machine and it looks good. The West Marine prices are to high.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > George

                • pbfein
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
                    I just spoke to Boulter. They can get it for a much better price then West. Give them a call and ask for Chris. I just ordered a piece of matte black 1/2" to make two panels.

                    Peter

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
                      One of my local lumber yards here in NH has a wide selection of plastic lumber. Much better that Lowes.  Check you local independent lumberyard to see what they have access to.

                      A trip to Boulter plywood  in Sommerville to look at their selection is always a great diversion. Ranks right in there with Exotic Lumber in Annapolis and I am not even a wood worker..

                      BTW - This is a great idea. I need to redo my panels and this is much simpler then trying to recreate the laminate over plywood construction for the same exact look.

                      Peter

                      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "g_ingram" wrote:

                      > I am looking for a local supplier of marine plastic lumber (Starboard, Kings Starboard). West Marine sells a product but it is very expensive. I am looking in the Woburn, Boston, Salem, Mass. area. I am looking for sizes 1/2 " 30x50 1/2" by 12x30. Colors white, black, seafoam. I thought someone at West Marine said there was a place in Somerville MA.
                      > I will be building new panels to mount electronics. I have used this material before and it is very easy to cut and machine and it looks good. The West Marine prices are to high.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > George

                    • sabre30_36
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
                        I have found Garolite (G10) to be a great material for this sort of project. Really strong, easy to work with and you won't need it to be so thick. It bonds really well to FRP (fiberglass).

                        Only downside is it needs painting (out of the box it is a kind of ugly green).

                        I did a project with a bunch of Starboard a long time ago - I found a guy in Florida who had great prices even with shipping factored in. If only I could remember his name . . . :-)

                        Eric
                        Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                        West River, MD

                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

                        > One of my local lumber yards here in NH has a wide selection of plastic lumber. Much better that Lowes.  Check you local independent lumberyard to see what they have access to.
                        > A trip to Boulter plywood  in Sommerville to look at their selection is always a great diversion. Ranks right in there with Exotic Lumber in Annapolis and I am not even a wood worker..

                      • Neil Russell
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 23, 2013
                          For anyone north of Boston, Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood NH has a very nice selection of woods,
                          including teak and mahogany, but also some very nice cherry. They sell rough cut, and also smooth finished.

                          $45 for  a 12" x 6' x 3/4" curly cherry board a couple weeks ago...

                          "Whisper"
                          S362-266
                          Salem MA