Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Treason

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 19, 2013
      My familiarity with Volvo diesels is minimal. I know that Maine lobster boat builders love them and that owners of older Sabres can't kill them. Also that parts are expensive.
      I really don't see the need for a turbo on a sailboat.  I know they make diesels more efficient and cleaner, but it's one more piece of complexity (spinning at 80K RPM) to go wrong.
      Pete

      On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM, navip11 <navip11@...> wrote:

      Pete,

      I always appreciate your posts.
      I especially enjoyed your most recent comparison of a s30 to a spirited horse... Right on.
      I took a ride down to our current boat today to check on her, even in the snow and wrapped, i was proud of her beauty. And mind you she is senior to most in the yard...

      I wasnt aware of the deck concerns on the tartans and i will keep that in mind.

      Also of importance the 372 we are considering has a 2003 volvo turbo. I know nothing about volvo, any thoughts?

      I do think overall if we pull the trigger on anything it will be the best equipped in the best shape, regardless of pedigree.
      Cheers

      Aj

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini wrote:

      > The Tartan sails differently than the Sabre. If you want to knock off big
      > mile days with little fuss or effort, the S&S heritage works. If you like
      > a sparkling feel the Sabre is a better choice. I've covered the same trip
      > in a T37 and an S36. Both enjoyable, but the Tartan was like pointing a
      > Greyhound bus down the interstate and letting it roll. The Sabre was
      > definitely faster and more fun, but you had to work for it.
      > One caveat - when we were looking at Tartans and Sabres, a Tartan with a
      > dry deck core was a rare find. Interior layouts are a matter of choice.
      > Pete
      >

      > On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM, navip11 wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > Disclaimer: I do not wish to start any kind of boat wars with this thread
      > > rather I am seeking objective information :)
      > >
      > > All things being equal (boat condition), we are contemplating moving up
      > > from our S30. Currently our short list consists of the 362 (of course), the
      > > 38-2 and the Tartan 37-2. As of right now, within out budget, there is only
      > > one 362 in our region. There is one 38-2 and 3 Tartans.
      > >
      > > We are not racers, rather cruisers looking for a quality boat that has
      > > some legs but are looking for comfortable accommodations below. As a few
      > > times a year we try to head out for 10 day trips.
      > >
      > > The 37-2 layout (as comes through on yachtworld) seems favorable down
      > > below to the 38-2. Is this correct? The modern layout with the enclosed aft
      > > head/shower on the 362 seems amazing as does her sailing ability.
      > >
      > > Come one, come all opinions on the matter.
      > >
      > > AJ

    • David and Catherine Allin
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 19, 2013
        My two cents worth for what they are worth.....  we were in a similar position before buying our S402... i.e. after 3 years of looking and dithering, we sold our C & C 32 and bought our S 402.

        After all that time looking, we had narrowed things down to the Tartan 3700 (or 4100 if the price was right) or the S 402.  We chose the S 402 ecause the storage etc seemed better for our needs..

        We spend approximately 6 months per year living on the boat and every nook and cranny is filled with "stuff" but we have not regretted the decision in the least...  if you wish to cruise long term we believe that the Sabre is better.
        Cheers.
        David & Catherine Allin
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~_/)~~~~~~~~
      • pbfein
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 19, 2013
          There is a big difference between the old Volvo MDs and the early 2000 series. Do plenty of research in this area.

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

          > My familiarity with Volvo diesels is minimal. I know that Maine lobster
          > boat builders love them and that owners of older Sabres can't kill them.
          > Also that parts are expensive.
          > I really don't see the need for a turbo on a sailboat. I know they make
          > diesels more efficient and cleaner, but it's one more piece of complexity
          > (spinning at 80K RPM) to go wrong.
          > Pete
          >

          > On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM, navip11 <navip11@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Pete,
          > >
          > > I always appreciate your posts.
          > > I especially enjoyed your most recent comparison of a s30 to a spirited
          > > horse... Right on.
          > > I took a ride down to our current boat today to check on her, even in the
          > > snow and wrapped, i was proud of her beauty. And mind you she is senior to
          > > most in the yard...
          > >
          > > I wasnt aware of the deck concerns on the tartans and i will keep that in
          > > mind.
          > >
          > > Also of importance the 372 we are considering has a 2003 volvo turbo. I
          > > know nothing about volvo, any thoughts?
          > >
          > > I do think overall if we pull the trigger on anything it will be the best
          > > equipped in the best shape, regardless of pedigree.
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Aj
          > >
          > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini wrote:
          > > >
          > > > The Tartan sails differently than the Sabre. If you want to knock off big
          > > > mile days with little fuss or effort, the S&S heritage works. If you like
          > > > a sparkling feel the Sabre is a better choice. I've covered the same trip
          > > > in a T37 and an S36. Both enjoyable, but the Tartan was like pointing a
          > > > Greyhound bus down the interstate and letting it roll. The Sabre was
          > > > definitely faster and more fun, but you had to work for it.
          > > > One caveat - when we were looking at Tartans and Sabres, a Tartan with a
          > > > dry deck core was a rare find. Interior layouts are a matter of choice.
          > > > Pete

          > > thread

          > > course), the
          > > only

          > > few

          > > enclosed aft

        • navip11
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 20, 2013
            I just wanted to thank everyone for their insights, much appreciated!