Metal fabricators Mid Coast Maine

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
      Looking for a fabricator to make a mount for my windlass,much like the one in the C/W article. Anyone know of a "reasonably priced" welder in the mid-coast area. Got one price from Rockport Steel for around $500 in stainless,don't know if this is high or OK. I would like to go with alum due to the weight.
      Looking for a small garage shop that might do this work.
      Anyone have any ideas,recommendations. Anywhere between Bangor and Portland?

      Thanks
      JD
    • gstreamdriver
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
        Reids in Yarmouth might be able to make that.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jim.duffy28@...> wrote:

        > Looking for a fabricator to make a mount for my windlass,much like the one in the C/W article. Anyone know of a "reasonably priced" welder in the mid-coast area. Got one price from Rockport Steel for around $500 in stainless,don't know if this is high or OK. I would like to go with alum due to the weight.
        > Looking for a small garage shop that might do this work.
        > Anyone have any ideas,recommendations. Anywhere between Bangor and Portland?
        >
        > Thanks
        > JD

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
          Thanks, will give them a call.
          JD
          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "gstreamdriver" <gstreamdriver@...> wrote:

          > Reids in Yarmouth might be able to make that.
          >
          > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jim.duffy28@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Looking for a fabricator to make a mount for my windlass,much like the one in the C/W article. Anyone know of a "reasonably priced" welder in the mid-coast area. Got one price from Rockport Steel for around $500 in stainless,don't know if this is high or OK. I would like to go with alum due to the weight.
          > > Looking for a small garage shop that might do this work.
          > > Anyone have any ideas,recommendations. Anywhere between Bangor and Portland?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > JD

        • mainecruising
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
            There are a few good ones.

            One of the best, with excellent pricing on custom stuff, is Nautilus up on MDI. They ship and do AMAZING work. Just had a custom Espar exhaust fitting made and it is museum quality. Best price I was quoted NATIONALLY turned out to be Nautilus. They do most of the work for builders like Hinckley & Morris but are very competitively priced for custom work and they have EXCELLENT turn around times. I can't recommend them highly enough.....

            Matt St. Cyr at Cumberland Iron Works is also excellent. He is located in Pownal and does lots of marine fabrication.

            "Speedy Reedy" in Yarmouth does not do anything with Stainless...

            -RC

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jim.duffy28@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, will give them a call.
            > JD
            > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "gstreamdriver" <gstreamdriver@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Reids in Yarmouth might be able to make that.
            > >
            > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jim.duffy28@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Looking for a fabricator to make a mount for my windlass,much like the one in the C/W article. Anyone know of a "reasonably priced" welder in the mid-coast area. Got one price from Rockport Steel for around $500 in stainless,don't know if this is high or OK. I would like to go with alum due to the weight.
            > > > Looking for a small garage shop that might do this work.
            > > > Anyone have any ideas,recommendations. Anywhere between Bangor and Portland?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > > JD

          • Rhc
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
              Billings in Stonington did the complete install of the in-the-chain-locker windlass on my S38, including the mounting bracket, and I have been very pleased. In fact, she's in the shed there, and you could take a look at the results if you have the time to get down there.

              Bob Carter
              Andiamo
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 13, 2013
                Thanks for all the reply's. Finally got my mockup done and took it up to Nautilus on MDI today. Seems like a good group. Their price was way lower than anything I was quoted down this way. Will post photos when its done.
                RC: Thanks for the lead Are you working the show in Portland this weekend?
                JD

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Rhc <rhc112@...> wrote:

                > Billings in Stonington did the complete install of the in-the-chain-locker windlass on my S38, including the mounting bracket, and I have been very pleased. In fact, she's in the shed there, and you could take a look at the results if you have the time to get down there.
                >
                > Bob Carter
                > Andiamo

              • mainecruising
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 13, 2013
                  Yeah Nautilus is great, reasonably priced and they do tremendous quality worlk. I may be helping my buddy Bruce man his booth for a period of time but don't know when as of yet...

                  -RC