Re: Sabre 30 mk11 v's Sabre 34 mk11

  • navip11
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
      Nick,

      I think overall this really depends on your wants/needs!

      However, if you plan on doing any cruising, I would consider the 34(assuming of course it is in acceptable condition as concluded by a surveyor familiar with the Sabre breed.

      As an operator of a 1988 30mk3, I kick myself for not going for the 34. I had concerns about additional cost/ sail/maneuvering handling which looking back with 20/20, were really not that significant.

      If you have any particular questions about the 30, private message me and im happy to go through them with you.

      Where are located, where will you be sailing?

      AJ

    • ncann@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 13, 2013
        Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. I think I'm leaning towards the 34. My broker keeps
        saying to buy the biggest boat you can afford. Plus I'll be less likely to outgrow the bigger boat.
        I'lll definitely check out the mast step.

        BTW I sail out of New England. The boat will be moored in Marblehead.

        The 34 has been sitting in the yard for 4 years because of owner health issues. It is better equipped with
        Sea Frost refrigeration, new windlass, ST 60 instruments(never used), Raymarine chartplotter, 135 amp alternator, diesel cabin heater, dripless stuffing box and 3 blade folding max prop. Also has mainsail Tide slides.  Never heard of Tide slides but the broker raves about them.

        Anyone have any issues with the boat sitting so long? She appears to have been well taken care of.

        Thanks again

        Nick

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "navip11" wrote:

        > Nick,
        >
        > I think overall this really depends on your wants/needs!
        >
        > However, if you plan on doing any cruising, I would consider the 34(assuming of course it is in acceptable condition as concluded by a surveyor familiar with the Sabre breed.
        >
        > As an operator of a 1988 30mk3, I kick myself for not going for the 34. I had concerns about additional cost/ sail/maneuvering handling which looking back with 20/20, were really not that significant.
        >
        > If you have any particular questions about the 30, private message me and im happy to go through them with you.
        >
        > Where are located, where will you be sailing?
        >

        > AJ
        >
        > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "ncann@" wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi All. I'm new to the forum. Finally in a position to buy a sailboat again after being boatless for a couple of years. I've narrowed it down to a Sabre 30 mk111 and a Sabre 34 mk11. Both boats in excellent condition. I plan to do weekend coastal sailing and some PHRF racing. Plus the occasional week long cruise. The 34 is listed at $62000 and the 30 at $39000. Not sure if the 34 is worth the extra dollars. I'm looking for opinions. Sailing qualities etc. Do either boats sail to their PHRF ratings? The layouts are very similar. Of course a little more room on the 34. The 34 has great electronics, a diesel heater and feathering prop and new windlass. The 30 has a rebuilt engine.
        > >
        > > Thanks Nick

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 13, 2013
          Nick,

          Nice list of accessories on that 34. The Tides Marine Slides are really good. I have them on my 34.

          Scott
          After Midnight
          '89 34 mkII (Targa) #387

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 13, 2013
            Bigger boat = bigger price = bigger commission

            That said, if you can afford it and the bigger boat the more comfortable the cruising will be.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 13, 2013
              You can cruise anything, but the comfort goes up with the square of the length.  Unfortunately, the cost seems to go up with the cube.  I don't think it's intrinsic, but bigger boats seem to need more pampering.  And electronics, of course.

              The 34 Mk-II is a very fast boat.  The Sabre design team poured everything they learned from the 36 (a very fine boat, I might add) into the 34.  A well sailed 34 is a challenge over the water for a 36.  If I still had my 36, I'd rather face a 362 than a 34 any day, ratings be damned.

              I don't think there are any issues for a Sabre sitting high and dry that would be obvious when the hatch was opened.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 13, 2013
                I have a friend who went from a 30 Mk III to a 402, who would probably agree with Jim's exponents.  The 402 is far more roomy, comfortable, fast and stable. And everything is even more complex and expensive.
                And yes, it has a s-pile more electronics.
                Decide what you really want, what you are comfortable paying and choose wisely. Either way, you'll end up with a nice Sabre.
                Pete

                On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Jim Starkey <jim@...> wrote:

> [...]

                > Where are located, where will you be sailing?
                >

                > AJ
                >
                > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "ncann@" wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi All. I'm new to the forum. Finally in a position to buy a sailboat again after being boatless for a couple of years. I've narrowed it down to a Sabre 30 mk111 and a Sabre 34 mk11. Both boats in excellent condition. I plan to do weekend coastal sailing and some PHRF racing. Plus the occasional week long cruise. The 34 is listed at $62000 and the 30 at $39000. Not sure if the 34 is worth the extra dollars. I'm looking for opinions. Sailing qualities etc. Do either boats sail to their PHRF ratings? The layouts are very similar. Of course a little more room on the 34. The 34 has great electronics, a diesel heater and feathering prop and new windlass. The 30 has a rebuilt engine.

              • Martin
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 13, 2013
                  Jim,
                  Being a 34II owner I must agree with everything you said about the design. Seriously, I think the 34II is remarkable: quite fast, weatherly, holds up well to being overpowered, stable downwind and an excellent sea boat. Several of my most experienced crew have been impressed with the sailing characteristics. At sea I find the 34 cuts through chop to windward without hobbyhorsing. Quite exceptional for a mid eighties design.

                  Cheers,
                  Martin
                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Starkey wrote:

                  > You can cruise anything, but the comfort goes up with the square of the
                  > length. Unfortunately, the cost seems to go up with the cube. I don't
                  > think it's intrinsic, but bigger boats seem to need more pampering. And
                  > electronics, of course.
                  >
                  > The 34 Mk-II is a very fast boat. The Sabre design team poured
                  > everything they learned from the 36 (a very fine boat, I might add) into
                  > the 34. A well sailed 34 is a challenge over the water for a 36. If I
                  > still had my 36, I'd rather face a 362 than a 34 any day, ratings be damned.
                  >
                  > I don't think there are any issues for a Sabre sitting high and dry that
                  > would be obvious when the hatch was opened.
                  >

                  > On 2/13/13 10:56 AM, Dave Lochner wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Bigger boat = bigger price = bigger commission
                  > >

                  > > That said, if you can afford it and the bigger boat the more
                  > > comfortable the cruising will be.
                  > >
                  > > Dave
                  > >

                  > > On Feb 13, 2013, at 9:17 AM, ncann@...
                  > > wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. I think I'm leaning
                  > >> towards the 34. My broker keeps
                  > >>
                  > >> saying to buy the biggest boat you can afford. Plus I'll be less
                  > >> likely to outgrow the bigger boat.
                  > >> I'lll definitely check out the mast step.
                  > >>
                  > >> BTW I sail out of New England. The boat will be moored in Marblehead.
                  > >>
                  > >> The 34 has been sitting in the yard for 4 years because of owner
                  > >> health issues. It is better equipped with
                  > >> Sea Frost refrigeration, new windlass, ST 60 instruments(never used),
                  > >> Raymarine chartplotter, 135 amp alternator, diesel cabin heater,
                  > >> dripless stuffing box and 3 blade folding max prop. Also has mainsail
                  > >> Tide slides. Never heard of Tide slides but the broker raves about
                  > >> them.
                  > >>
                  > >> Anyone have any issues with the boat sitting so long? She appears to
                  > >> have been well taken care of.
                  > >>
                  > >> Thanks again
                  > >>
                  > >> Nick
                  > >>

                  > >> --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

                  > >> 34(assuming of course it is in acceptable condition as concluded by a
                  > >> surveyor familiar with the Sabre breed.

                  > >> 34. I had concerns about additional cost/ sail/maneuvering handling
                  > >> which looking back with 20/20, were really not that significant.

                  > >> me and im happy to go through them with you.

                  > >> sailboat again after being boatless for a couple of years. I've
                  > >> narrowed it down to a Sabre 30 mk111 and a Sabre 34 mk11. Both boats
                  > >> in excellent condition. I plan to do weekend coastal sailing and some
                  > >> PHRF racing. Plus the occasional week long cruise. The 34 is listed
                  > >> at $62000 and the 30 at $39000. Not sure if the 34 is worth the extra
                  > >> dollars. I'm looking for opinions. Sailing qualities etc. Do either
                  > >> boats sail to their PHRF ratings? The layouts are very similar. Of
                  > >> course a little more room on the 34. The 34 has great electronics, a
                  > >> diesel heater and feathering prop and new windlass. The 30 has a
                  > >> rebuilt engine.

                • mookiesurfs
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 20, 2013
                    Take a look at the hull near the jack pads or external supports. If a boat is poorly supported or has shifted to place weight on the pads, the hull can distort over time. The weight should be on the keel.

                    I would plan on draining the diesel tank, new filters, and a new impeller.

                    Bill B

                    Sent from an elegant interface with limited functionality, while traveling

                    On Feb 13, 2013, at 4:17 AM, "ncann@..." <ncann@...> wrote:

                    Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. I think I'm leaning towards the 34. My broker keeps

                    saying to buy the biggest boat you can afford. Plus I'll be less likely to outgrow the bigger boat.
                    I'lll definitely check out the mast step.

                    BTW I sail out of New England. The boat will be moored in Marblehead.

                    The 34 has been sitting in the yard for 4 years because of owner health issues. It is better equipped with
                    Sea Frost refrigeration, new windlass, ST 60 instruments(never used), Raymarine chartplotter, 135 amp alternator, diesel cabin heater, dripless stuffing box and 3 blade folding max prop. Also has mainsail Tide slides.  Never heard of Tide slides but the broker raves about them.

                    Anyone have any issues with the boat sitting so long? She appears to have been well taken care of.

                    Thanks again

                    Nick

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "navip11" wrote:

                    > Nick,
                    >
                    > I think overall this really depends on your wants/needs!
                    >
                    > However, if you plan on doing any cruising, I would consider the 34(assuming of course it is in acceptable condition as concluded by a surveyor familiar with the Sabre breed.
                    >
                    > As an operator of a 1988 30mk3, I kick myself for not going for the 34. I had concerns about additional cost/ sail/maneuvering handling which looking back with 20/20, were really not that significant.
                    >
                    > If you have any particular questions about the 30, private message me and im happy to go through them with you.
                    >
                    > Where are located, where will you be sailing?
                    >

                    > AJ
                    >
                    > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "ncann@" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi All. I'm new to the forum. Finally in a position to buy a sailboat again after being boatless for a couple of years. I've narrowed it down to a Sabre 30 mk111 and a Sabre 34 mk11. Both boats in excellent condition. I plan to do weekend coastal sailing and some PHRF racing. Plus the occasional week long cruise. The 34 is listed at $62000 and the 30 at $39000. Not sure if the 34 is worth the extra dollars. I'm looking for opinions. Sailing qualities etc. Do either boats sail to their PHRF ratings? The layouts are very similar. Of course a little more room on the 34. The 34 has great electronics, a diesel heater and feathering prop and new windlass. The 30 has a rebuilt engine.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks Nick

                  • GRAHAM BROADHURST
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 20, 2013
                      Nick
                      I personally think in todays market that $62000 might be a bit on the high side for a boat that has sat for 4 years.
                      I know of two 38s MK 2 that had sat for a time and sold for $85000 and that was 3-4 years ago
                      My 34  had sat for 2 years and clearly showed the neglect.
                      Fuel tank growth, engine, water tank and in particular batteries will require work.
                      Basically anything that is supposed to move will have suffered.
                      Graham S34 mk 1

                      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "navip11" wrote: > > Nick, > > I think overall this really depends on your wants/needs! > > However, if you plan on doing any cruising, I would consider the 34(assuming of course it is in acceptable condition as concluded by a surveyor familiar with the Sabre breed. > > As an operator of a 1988 30mk3, I kick myself for not going for the 34. I had concerns about additional cost/ sail/maneuvering handling which looking back with 20/20, were really not that significant. > > If you have any particular questions about the 30, private message me and im happy to go through them with you. > > Where are located, where will you be sailing? > > > AJ > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "ncann@" wrote: > > > > Hi All. I'm new to the forum. Finally in a position to buy a sailboat again after being boatless for a couple of years. I've narrowed it down to a Sabre 30 mk111 and a Sabre 34 mk11. Both boats in excellent condition. I plan to do weekend coastal sailing and some PHRF racing. Plus the occasional week long cruise. The 34 is listed at $62000 and the 30 at $39000. Not sure if the 34 is worth the extra dollars. I'm looking for opinions. Sailing qualities etc. Do either boats sail to their PHRF ratings? The layouts are very similar. Of course a little more room on the 34. The 34 has great electronics, a diesel heater and feathering prop and new windlass. The 30 has a rebuilt engine. > > > > Thanks Nick > > >