Re: What is the useful life of Water Pump Westerbeke 27b / Sabre 34MKII

  • s36_osprey
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3 7:04 PM
      I had the same problem a couple years ago. When heeled hard the inlet hose drained then the pump would lose it's prime. The pump back wall was scored. I remachined the scored area on a lathe, and also the flange face to get the correct depth dimension. I removed a out .02 from both surfaces. Pump has been perfect since. It had about 2200 hours at that time. Before and after pics can be seen in the s36 Osprey folder.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4 6:00 PM
        while that may or may not be good maintenence idea (I happen to keep a spare pump as it is faster to swap than rebuild in an emergency), the issue is no water getting through.

        It is not a couple blown pump shaft seals, else that oil sump would be full in 2 minutes and one would next hear a hydrolocked diesel grenading or have an ugly bilge mess.

        As to the lousy design, if you have the weep hole between the seal open and occationally check it, there is no reason for water in the sump.   I know of buddy who lost his universal in this manner and to add insult to injury, he was working as a yard hand at the time. Even the pro get lazy and occationally have to pay the price..