Re: What is the useful life of Water Pump Westerbeke 27b / Sabre 34MKII

  • JohnF
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3 11:07 AM
      Check for the scoring on the inside walls of the pump housing.
      Assuming your pump is rear facing you won't be able to do this unless you remove the pump or maybe use an inspection mirror.

      Also check the engine and motor mount below the pump for rust to see if the shaft seal has ben been leaking. If so, then you will definitely want to address it by rebuilding or replacing the pump. There are good instructions online for the rebuild. Other than pressing the bearings onto the shaft it is a good DIY project.

      I've had good luck with my rebuilt pump, but others report they start leaking again relatively quickly.

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "cttopsail" wrote:

      > WATER PUMP QUESTION OR ADVISE: Westerbeke 27b:
      >
      > End of last season, great sail (heeled over) for hours, started the engine and then the Engine Alarm went off! The problem no water coming out of the exhaust. Toed into dock, yard replaced the impeller (which appeared in good shape) with a new one and the water was fine. Yet, the yard suggested you might want to consider a New Water Pump since there
      > appears to be some scoring inside the pump (where the impeller is) In other words a foreign matter might have entered and caused the problem.
      >
      > The age of the water pump is estimated 13 to 15 years. In engine hours,650 to 750 hours. The replacement cost of pump is $500.
      >
      > Question:
      >
      > Should I just sail with the new impeller and see how the pump is this season?
      >
      > OR: Replace the Water pump for insurance and due to is age
      >
      > Curious, What is the life span of a water pump on Westberke 27b engine on a Sabre 34MKII?? Replace the impeller ever other year with the average of 50+ hours a season.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for reading and your response.

    • Stephen
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3 11:49 AM
        Impeller should be replaced annually-just because an impeller looks good, doesn't mean it is. Pump should be replaced if seals are leaking or it shows signs of wear. My 25 year old W27A is on its second water pump. I think the first failed after about 15 years at 3500-4000 hours.
        If you want to rebuild a pump, I would recommend sending it back to the dealer.
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3 2:48 PM
          Particularly check for rust on the oil pan below the raw water pump.  Westerbeke abandoned the original pump on the W27, presumably because the sucker was prone to chronic leaking, even after a full rebuild.

          If it's the original water pump of the first vintage or you have rust below the pump, replace it.  $500 for a new pump is a hell of a lot less that the cost of replacing the oil pan (or, sigh, both).

          On 2/3/13 2:07 PM, JohnF wrote:

          Check for the scoring on the inside walls of the pump housing.
          Assuming your pump is rear facing you won't be able to do this unless you remove the pump or maybe use an inspection mirror.

          Also check the engine and motor mount below the pump for rust to see if the shaft seal has ben been leaking. If so, then you will definitely want to address it by rebuilding or replacing the pump. There are good instructions online for the rebuild. Other than pressing the bearings onto the shaft it is a good DIY project.

          I've had good luck with my rebuilt pump, but others report they start leaking again relatively quickly.

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "cttopsail" wrote:

          > WATER PUMP QUESTION OR ADVISE: Westerbeke 27b:
          >
          > End of last season, great sail (heeled over) for hours, started the engine and then the Engine Alarm went off! The problem no water coming out of the exhaust. Toed into dock, yard replaced the impeller (which appeared in good shape) with a new one and the water was fine. Yet, the yard suggested you might want to consider a New Water Pump since there
          > appears to be some scoring inside the pump (where the impeller is) In other words a foreign matter might have entered and caused the problem.
          >
          > The age of the water pump is estimated 13 to 15 years. In engine hours,650 to 750 hours. The replacement cost of pump is $500.
          >
          > Question:
          >
          > Should I just sail with the new impeller and see how the pump is this season?
          >
          > OR: Replace the Water pump for insurance and due to is age
          >
          > Curious, What is the life span of a water pump on Westberke 27b engine on a Sabre 34MKII?? Replace the impeller ever other year with the average of 50+ hours a season.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for reading and your response.

        • Allison Lehman
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3 5:19 PM
            I 2nd that, good investment

            Sent from my iPhone

            On 2/3/13 2:07 PM, JohnF wrote:

            Check for the scoring on the inside walls of the pump housing.
            Assuming your pump is rear facing you won't be able to do this unless you remove the pump or maybe use an inspection mirror.

            Also check the engine and motor mount below the pump for rust to see if the shaft seal has ben been leaking. If so, then you will definitely want to address it by rebuilding or replacing the pump. There are good instructions online for the rebuild. Other than pressing the bearings onto the shaft it is a good DIY project.

            I've had good luck with my rebuilt pump, but others report they start leaking again relatively quickly.

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "cttopsail" wrote:

            > WATER PUMP QUESTION OR ADVISE: Westerbeke 27b:
            >
            > End of last season, great sail (heeled over) for hours, started the engine and then the Engine Alarm went off! The problem no water coming out of the exhaust. Toed into dock, yard replaced the impeller (which appeared in good shape) with a new one and the water was fine. Yet, the yard suggested you might want to consider a New Water Pump since there
            > appears to be some scoring inside the pump (where the impeller is) In other words a foreign matter might have entered and caused the problem.
            >
            > The age of the water pump is estimated 13 to 15 years. In engine hours,650 to 750 hours. The replacement cost of pump is $500.
            >
            > Question:
            >
            > Should I just sail with the new impeller and see how the pump is this season?
            >
            > OR: Replace the Water pump for insurance and due to is age
            >
            > Curious, What is the life span of a water pump on Westberke 27b engine on a Sabre 34MKII?? Replace the impeller ever other year with the average of 50+ hours a season.
            >
            > Thanks in advance for reading and your response.

          • s36_osprey
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3 7:04 PM
              I had the same problem a couple years ago. When heeled hard the inlet hose drained then the pump would lose it's prime. The pump back wall was scored. I remachined the scored area on a lathe, and also the flange face to get the correct depth dimension. I removed a out .02 from both surfaces. Pump has been perfect since. It had about 2200 hours at that time. Before and after pics can be seen in the s36 Osprey folder.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4 6:00 PM
                while that may or may not be good maintenence idea (I happen to keep a spare pump as it is faster to swap than rebuild in an emergency), the issue is no water getting through.

                It is not a couple blown pump shaft seals, else that oil sump would be full in 2 minutes and one would next hear a hydrolocked diesel grenading or have an ugly bilge mess.

                As to the lousy design, if you have the weep hole between the seal open and occationally check it, there is no reason for water in the sump.   I know of buddy who lost his universal in this manner and to add insult to injury, he was working as a yard hand at the time. Even the pro get lazy and occationally have to pay the price..