Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Polar Diagram for Sabre 34 MKII

  • Jules Bender
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
      It tells you the maximum speed boat can travel, at various points of sail and in different wind speeds....useful to have....Jules

      On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM, mhrutstein <mhrutstein@...> wrote:

      I don't even know what a Polar Diagram is!

      Mike
      STBNL

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
        It's useful because it gives you a goal. If the polar says you should be doing 5.7 through the water (not GPS) with the relative wind at 065 and 10 knots, and you are only doing 5.4, you know that you are doing something wrong.

        And I'd love a polar for a 34-I CB!

        Harry

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender wrote:

        > It tells you the maximum speed boat can travel, at various points of sail
        > and in different wind speeds....useful to have....Jules
        >
        > On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM, mhrutstein wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > I don't even know what a Polar Diagram is!
        > >
        > > Mike
        > > STBNL

      • Jan
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2013
          I always thought they were all the intimate details necessary for making the Northwest Passage. You mean I got it wrong?

          Jan

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mhrutstein" wrote:

          > I don't even know what a Polar Diagram is!
          >
          > Mike
          > STBNL

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2013
            US Sailing will sell you a VPP package. Essentially they predict boat speed, vmg, and heel angle for various wind speeds and wind angles. They are expressed in true wind and and apparent wind. I have had more than a passing experience with using them in the last 20 years. We had Ockam instruments on 2 boats that I raced heavily on. The VPP chip was custom programmed for each boat. Sounds great right? Well in practice they are just reference points which help you check your performance. Sailing to the polars doesn't work all that well if you are fixated on the Polar display. In the real world here is how it works: We are going upwind in 6.5 knots true wind on a 68 foot sled. The VPP says we are supposed to be doing 8.1 knots, our apparent wind angle is 29 degrees, and the apparent wind is about 10 knots. The tactician says to helm- there is a bit of chop so we need to foot down a click or two. We are only going 7.9 and we need to pick it up a little to keep our apparent up. The true wind increases to 7.2. The VPP chip changes to 8.25 and the apparent wind angle now needs to be 27 degrees. The tactician tells the helm to hold at 29 degrees apparent for a minute as we build the speed up to 8.2 then start punching up a little to keep our VMG up.

            For the rest of us they provide a tool which acts a reference point. I find the apparent wind angle and heel angle predictions especially useful going upwind.

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "cttopsail" wrote:

            > Does anyone have Polar Diagram for a Sabre 34 MKII (1988).
            >
            > Thank you, Cttopsail@...

          • cttopsail
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2013
              Bill,

              Thanks I have owned the boat (34MKII) for 19 years and know her well. Have not raced her (around the buoys)for years. Yet now my kids have a little interest in (small, local beer can) racing (with cqr anchor hanging) I thought I would revisit the polars and attempt to educate them a bit like you were kind enough to share here. I agree they are an good reference point and have used them on some race boats locally and offshore. Thanks for taking the time to hare and provide real world practical advise for a cruising sailor who races at times.

              Thanks, J sabre 34MKII

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" wrote:

              > US Sailing will sell you a VPP package. Essentially they predict boat speed, vmg, and heel angle for various wind speeds and wind angles. They are expressed in true wind and and apparent wind. I have had more than a passing experience with using them in the last 20 years. We had Ockam instruments on 2 boats that I raced heavily on. The VPP chip was custom programmed for each boat. Sounds great right? Well in practice they are just reference points which help you check your performance. Sailing to the polars doesn't work all that well if you are fixated on the Polar display. In the real world here is how it works: We are going upwind in 6.5 knots true wind on a 68 foot sled. The VPP says we are supposed to be doing 8.1 knots, our apparent wind angle is 29 degrees, and the apparent wind is about 10 knots. The tactician says to helm- there is a bit of chop so we need to foot down a click or two. We are only going 7.9 and we need to pick it up a little to keep our apparent up. The true wind increases to 7.2. The VPP chip changes to 8.25 and the apparent wind angle now needs to be 27 degrees. The tactician tells the helm to hold at 29 degrees apparent for a minute as we build the speed up to 8.2 then start punching up a little to keep our VMG up.
              >
              > For the rest of us they provide a tool which acts a reference point. I find the apparent wind angle and heel angle predictions especially useful going upwind.
              >

              > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "cttopsail" wrote:
              > >
              > > Does anyone have Polar Diagram for a Sabre 34 MKII (1988).
              > >
              > > Thank you, Cttopsail@

            • Stephen
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2013
                I have the Polar diagram for a Sabre 362-I attempted to find one for the 34MK2, could not. I was was told by someone (at Sabre??) that the diagram for the 362 was the same. Will be happy to send it to you.
              • Stephen
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2013
                  Just realized that it is posted under Files on this site as Polar Diagram for Sabre 362
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2013
                    for $275  US sail will calculate it for you.

                    for an extra Sabrebuck, they will lamintate a target speed card for you.

                    And for an even grand, they will even tell you how to beat your polars.

                    Prices based on being a US Sailing member. Else it costs more.
                    Such a deal....