Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Water heater question

  • John Zeratsky
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
      I went back to the boat after work tonight to do some more research. Here's what I learned.

      Turns out the water heater is tied into my (inoperative) diesel furnace system. There's a circulating pump that moves coolant past the furnace and into both the water heater and cabin-fan heat exchangers. There's a "bypass" mode for when you're running the engine — you can shut down the furnace but leave the circulating pump going, which will function the same as above, EXCEPT it uses heat from the engine instead of heat from the furnace. Clever, right?

      Trouble is, I think my circulating pump is dead. I don't have a multimeter so I can't check if it's getting DC, but it does not appear to be running.

      Furnace is a Webasto DW80. We knew it wasn't working when we bought the boat, which didn't bother me. But I hadn't realized it was tied into the water heater in this way.

      Thanks all for the pointers and suggestions!

      - JZ
    • walkabout193
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 29, 2013
        I don't know about your setup, its unique, but those of us that tap off the heat exchanger for our heat source do not have a dedicated circulating pump.
        Len Bertaux
        Walkabout S38mkii
        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Zeratsky wrote:

        > I went back to the boat after work tonight to do some more research. Here's
        > what I learned.
        >
        > Turns out the water heater is tied into my (inoperative) diesel furnace
        > system. There's a circulating pump that moves coolant past the furnace and
        > into both the water heater and cabin-fan heat exchangers. There's a
        > "bypass" mode for when you're running the engine â€" you can shut down the
        > furnace but leave the circulating pump going, which will function the same
        > as above, EXCEPT it uses heat from the engine instead of heat from the
        > furnace. Clever, right?
        >
        > Trouble is, I think my circulating pump is dead. I don't have a multimeter
        > so I can't check if it's getting DC, but it does not appear to be running.
        >
        > Furnace is a Webasto DW80. We knew it wasn't working when we bought the
        > boat, which didn't bother me. But I hadn't realized it was tied into the
        > water heater in this way.
        >
        > Thanks all for the pointers and suggestions!
        >
        > - JZ

      • Allison
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 29, 2013
          JZ,
          I think you have the Gucci heating system that allows you to have hot water at anchor without turn the engine on! I am told there is an annual maintenance associated with these systems. I would call Anders at Swedish Marine in Pt Richmond.

          Allison

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Zeratsky wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I recently purchased a 1990 Sabre 38 (mk2) here in Sausalito, CA. The boat
          > is great, but I'm struggling to figure out this water heater. If I'm on
          > shore power and I switch it on (AC), it seems to work fine and produces hot
          > water quickly. However, I don't get hot when I'm away from the dock, even
          > after running the engine for several hours. Is there a valve that needs to
          > be opened, or something? Any other ideas?
          >
          > I have the 12 gallon Tasco water heater.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > JZ

        • John Zeratsky
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 3, 2013
            Seems like a great system in theory :) Dumb question: is "Gucci" a brand name or another way to say "fancy"?

            The water heater is Tasco and the furnace is Wabasto.

            We're taking the boat over to KKMI Pt Richmond in March and will have them look at it. Thanks for the rec on Anders!

            On Tuesday, January 29, 2013, Allison wrote:

            JZ,
            I think you have the Gucci heating system that allows you to have hot water at anchor without turn the engine on! I am told there is an annual maintenance associated with these systems. I would call Anders at Swedish Marine in Pt Richmond.

            Allison

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Zeratsky wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I recently purchased a 1990 Sabre 38 (mk2) here in Sausalito, CA. The boat
            > is great, but I'm struggling to figure out this water heater. If I'm on
            > shore power and I switch it on (AC), it seems to work fine and produces hot
            > water quickly. However, I don't get hot when I'm away from the dock, even
            > after running the engine for several hours. Is there a valve that needs to
            > be opened, or something? Any other ideas?
            >
            > I have the 12 gallon Tasco water heater.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > JZ

          • Allison Lehman
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 3, 2013