Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Water heater question

  • Allison Lehman
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 27, 2013
      Congrats!

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jan 27, 2013, at 8:23 PM, John Zeratsky <john@...> wrote:

      Aegea. Was listed by Marotta. We worked with Terri Watson at KKMI on the purchase.

      On Sunday, January 27, 2013, Allison Lehman wrote:

      Hi John,

      Which boat did you buy?  I have a 362 in Pt Richmond.  SOrry I don't know anything about Tasco water heaters :-(

      Allison

      Allison Lehman
      Yachtfinders/Windseakers
      510 912-5800 cell
      510 860-4640 fax

      P Please consider the environment before printing this email

      On Jan 27, 2013, at 6:31 PM, John Zeratsky wrote:

      Hi all,

      I recently purchased a 1990 Sabre 38 (mk2) here in Sausalito, CA. The boat is great, but I'm struggling to figure out this water heater. If I'm on shore power and I switch it on (AC), it seems to work fine and produces hot water quickly. However, I don't get hot when I'm away from the dock, even after running the engine for several hours. Is there a valve that needs to be opened, or something? Any other ideas?

      I have the 12 gallon Tasco water heater.

      Thanks!

      JZ

    • Jules Bender

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 27, 2013

          John,

          Congratulations on your purchase!  Which marina are you in?  We’re at Clipper Basin 3.

          Nick

          S402 “Escapade”

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
            I found that it was usually air in the engine cooling system. I would bleed the system at the hot water tank and add coolant to replace the air.
            Randy

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
              Some owners put a bypass line between the input and return lines from the engine. That will miss the heat exchanger in the water heater and the water stays cold even when the engine is running warm.

              The line is usually external running from one engine hose to the other and has a valve to route engine coolant from internal external at the waterheater.

              Regards
              The Aviation Buff

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                JZ

                I have a 38 MKII as well. If you remove the engine cowl and the panel below it you'll have great access to the heat exchanger, the by-pass lines to the HW heater and your raw water pump. After running the engine up to temp, check the temp on the by-pass lines. They should be hot. If not, its possible that the check valve assembly that feed the two by-pass lines is malfunctioning. It may be in need of cleaning or it may be mechanically shot. That's where I would expect the problem. Good luck!

                Len Bertaux
                Walkabout S38 mkii

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Zeratsky wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I recently purchased a 1990 Sabre 38 (mk2) here in Sausalito, CA. The boat
                > is great, but I'm struggling to figure out this water heater. If I'm on
                > shore power and I switch it on (AC), it seems to work fine and produces hot
                > water quickly. However, I don't get hot when I'm away from the dock, even
                > after running the engine for several hours. Is there a valve that needs to
                > be opened, or something? Any other ideas?
                >
                > I have the 12 gallon Tasco water heater.
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > JZ

              • John Zeratsky
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                  Thanks all — this is very helpful.

                  I'll try troubleshooting based on this advice when I get back on the boat.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                    It's almost certainly air in engine water line.

                    But a couple more things.  If it's the original Raritan, it will be getting a little long in tooth.  The first thing to go is the insulation; the only symptom is that it water won't stay hot overnight.  If you a) ran the engine for at least a half an hour the day before, b) didn't take a long shower the night before, and c) don't have hot water for breakfast dishes, you might be thinking about a new tank.

                    The other thing, almost completely undocumented, is that the Raritan tanks have replaceable magnesium anodes to prevent the steel shell from dissolving when the internal glass lining cracks.  If your hot water is stinky -- really stinky -- your anode needs replacing.

                    There are a couple of really nice drop-in replacement tanks with stainless tanks and plastic shells, including one from Raritan.  If your tank does need replacement, you will be an experienced hand by the time you get your current tank working.

                    On 1/28/13 4:06 PM, John Zeratsky wrote:

                    Thanks all — this is very helpful.

                    I'll try troubleshooting based on this advice when I get back on the boat.

                    On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM, walkabout193 <lbertaux@...> wrote:

                    JZ

                    I have a 38 MKII as well. If you remove the engine cowl and the panel below it you'll have great access to the heat exchanger, the by-pass lines to the HW heater and your raw water pump. After running the engine up to temp, check the temp on the by-pass lines. They should be hot. If not, its possible that the check valve assembly that feed the two by-pass lines is malfunctioning. It may be in need of cleaning or it may be mechanically shot. That's where I would expect the problem. Good luck!

                    Len Bertaux
                    Walkabout S38 mkii

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Zeratsky wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I recently purchased a 1990 Sabre 38 (mk2) here in Sausalito, CA. The boat
                    > is great, but I'm struggling to figure out this water heater. If I'm on
                    > shore power and I switch it on (AC), it seems to work fine and produces hot
                    > water quickly. However, I don't get hot when I'm away from the dock, even
                    > after running the engine for several hours. Is there a valve that needs to
                    > be opened, or something? Any other ideas?
                    >
                    > I have the 12 gallon Tasco water heater.
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > JZ

                  • Martin
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                      Hello John,
                      Welcome to the group. We have a 1987 34II in Alameda. If you find the hoses are connected from the engine, then it might be an air blockage in the coolant lines. I Googled Tasco water heaters and did not get a hit. I associate that brand name with telescopes and binoculars.
                      One thing you might do is add your boat and name to the Registry. It is under the "Database" from the list on the left.

                      Cheers,
                      Martin

                      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Zeratsky wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > I recently purchased a 1990 Sabre 38 (mk2) here in Sausalito, CA. The boat
                      > is great, but I'm struggling to figure out this water heater. If I'm on
                      > shore power and I switch it on (AC), it seems to work fine and produces hot
                      > water quickly. However, I don't get hot when I'm away from the dock, even
                      > after running the engine for several hours. Is there a valve that needs to
                      > be opened, or something? Any other ideas?
                      >
                      > I have the 12 gallon Tasco water heater.
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      >
                      > JZ

                    • John Zeratsky
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 28, 2013
                        I went back to the boat after work tonight to do some more research. Here's what I learned.

                        Turns out the water heater is tied into my (inoperative) diesel furnace system. There's a circulating pump that moves coolant past the furnace and into both the water heater and cabin-fan heat exchangers. There's a "bypass" mode for when you're running the engine — you can shut down the furnace but leave the circulating pump going, which will function the same as above, EXCEPT it uses heat from the engine instead of heat from the furnace. Clever, right?

                        Trouble is, I think my circulating pump is dead. I don't have a multimeter so I can't check if it's getting DC, but it does not appear to be running.

                        Furnace is a Webasto DW80. We knew it wasn't working when we bought the boat, which didn't bother me. But I hadn't realized it was tied into the water heater in this way.

                        Thanks all for the pointers and suggestions!

                        - JZ
                      • walkabout193
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 29, 2013
                          I don't know about your setup, its unique, but those of us that tap off the heat exchanger for our heat source do not have a dedicated circulating pump.
                          Len Bertaux
                          Walkabout S38mkii
                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Zeratsky wrote:

                          > I went back to the boat after work tonight to do some more research. Here's
                          > what I learned.
                          >
                          > Turns out the water heater is tied into my (inoperative) diesel furnace
                          > system. There's a circulating pump that moves coolant past the furnace and
                          > into both the water heater and cabin-fan heat exchangers. There's a
                          > "bypass" mode for when you're running the engine â€" you can shut down the
                          > furnace but leave the circulating pump going, which will function the same
                          > as above, EXCEPT it uses heat from the engine instead of heat from the
                          > furnace. Clever, right?
                          >
                          > Trouble is, I think my circulating pump is dead. I don't have a multimeter
                          > so I can't check if it's getting DC, but it does not appear to be running.
                          >
                          > Furnace is a Webasto DW80. We knew it wasn't working when we bought the
                          > boat, which didn't bother me. But I hadn't realized it was tied into the
                          > water heater in this way.
                          >
                          > Thanks all for the pointers and suggestions!
                          >
                          > - JZ

                        • Allison
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 29, 2013
                            JZ,
                            I think you have the Gucci heating system that allows you to have hot water at anchor without turn the engine on! I am told there is an annual maintenance associated with these systems. I would call Anders at Swedish Marine in Pt Richmond.

                            Allison

                            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Zeratsky wrote:

                            > Hi all,
                            >
                            > I recently purchased a 1990 Sabre 38 (mk2) here in Sausalito, CA. The boat
                            > is great, but I'm struggling to figure out this water heater. If I'm on
                            > shore power and I switch it on (AC), it seems to work fine and produces hot
                            > water quickly. However, I don't get hot when I'm away from the dock, even
                            > after running the engine for several hours. Is there a valve that needs to
                            > be opened, or something? Any other ideas?
                            >
                            > I have the 12 gallon Tasco water heater.
                            >
                            > Thanks!
                            >
                            > JZ

                          • John Zeratsky
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 3, 2013
                              Seems like a great system in theory :) Dumb question: is "Gucci" a brand name or another way to say "fancy"?

                              The water heater is Tasco and the furnace is Wabasto.

                              We're taking the boat over to KKMI Pt Richmond in March and will have them look at it. Thanks for the rec on Anders!

                              On Tuesday, January 29, 2013, Allison wrote:

                              JZ,
                              I think you have the Gucci heating system that allows you to have hot water at anchor without turn the engine on! I am told there is an annual maintenance associated with these systems. I would call Anders at Swedish Marine in Pt Richmond.

                              Allison

                              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Zeratsky wrote:

                              > Hi all,
                              >
                              > I recently purchased a 1990 Sabre 38 (mk2) here in Sausalito, CA. The boat
                              > is great, but I'm struggling to figure out this water heater. If I'm on
                              > shore power and I switch it on (AC), it seems to work fine and produces hot
                              > water quickly. However, I don't get hot when I'm away from the dock, even
                              > after running the engine for several hours. Is there a valve that needs to
                              > be opened, or something? Any other ideas?
                              >
                              > I have the 12 gallon Tasco water heater.
                              >
                              > Thanks!
                              >
                              > JZ

                            • Allison Lehman
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 3, 2013