Re: Keel J bolt replacement in lead keel

  • MATT
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 17, 2013
      Allison,

      His name is Don Huseman ad he is from the LA area. Do you know of his work?

      Thanks,

      Matt

      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 17, 2013

        The website is long on a nice photo, but short on information.

        A quick google search using the keywords huseman keel bolt repair yielded this site:  http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/keel-bolt-replacement-10316.html

        Scroll down the thread to see his contribution.

        I didn't read the whole thread in much detail, however, RC recommended sending the keel to Mars.

        As a potential buyer of a larger Sabre I would be more impressed knowing that the keel bolts had been replaced by Mars than by some unknown guy from LA.

        Before I hired Huseman I would want a detailed description of how he would replace the keelbolts. In one of the posts in the above threads he talks about having a 3 foot drill that he uses to thread bolts into the keel. I'm not sure if that's  the way to go.

        You might want to email RC for his advice, in the past he has been pretty generous in lending his opinion. For a few bucks Steve D'Antonio will also provide guidance. He writes for Cruising World and Professional Boat Builder. I would trust RC and Steve's advice. http://www.stevedmarineconsulting.com

        Dave

        On Jan 17, 2013, at 5:25 PM, Stephen wrote:

        I ran accross this site:

        http://keelboltinspectionrepair.com/

        It is the Huseman fellow-I read something he had written, and it sounds like they do a repair like Mars, although they come to the boat.