W27A Fuel Line Bleeding Option

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2013
      I recently changes the racor fuel filter and the filter in the bottom of the fuel pump. Since I use a two micron Racor filter the one on the pump was so clean I saw no reason to change out the third filter.
      After changing the filters the engine would not start. The manual on the W27A indicates that with the key on the pump should bleed the system in 15-20 seconds and if not a second go will do it. But,it was not to be. After reseating both filters and topping of the Racor to the very top, still no joy. After two hours of frustration, I callled in the mechanic. Turns out there IS a bleed option. There are three bolt heads showing on the smallest filter and the middle elongated one is a bleed valve. This is not identified as a bleed valve on the engine manual I have nor in the bleeding instructions. At any rate it worked and so I thought I'd pass along this hidden option if the self bleed fails.
      Perhaps my fuel pump is feeling its 25 years and is no longer able to deal with an air block? I have found that this is a Facet pump, a division of Purolater and the part number per Torreson is 476459N which they price at $126.69 Apparently the Facet model number can be found under the red Westerbeke paint on the mounting feet. Probably avaiable from auto shops stocking Purolater at half the Torreson price. The new pump has a cleanable plastic filter and does not have a ground wire, but relies on the mounting bolts grounding it. Anyone know the correct Facet model in case our pump gives up?

      Cheers,
      Martin
    • rabrown10
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2013
        Replaced mine with Facet fuel pump (40107 pump 40103 kit). Kit just has an extra fitting. The original lasted 3000 hours then stopped ticking. My engine is a W55A.

        Might need to bleed the injectors after replacing.

        Roger

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 16, 2013
            Facet fuel pump (40107 pump 40103 kit) worked on my W55A.
          • Carter Brey
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 16, 2013
              I believe my W13 has the same pump, which I replaced with this Facet model 1105 from Pegasus Auto Racing (double check your requirements):

              https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=85&utm_expid=10520551-6&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pegasusautoracing.com%2Fgroup.asp%3FGroupID%3DFACET%26iorb%3D4764%26utm_source%3Dsponsored%26utm_medium%3Dppc%26utm_campaign%3DBROI

              The price has gone up $15 since I bought mine but it's still thirty bucks cheaper than Torresen's.

              Carter Brey
              S28-II Delphine
              City Island, NY

              On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 18:28 +0000, rabrown10 wrote:

              Replaced mine with Facet fuel pump (40107 pump 40103 kit). Kit just has an extra fitting. The original lasted 3000 hours then stopped ticking. My engine is a W55A.

              Might need to bleed the injectors after replacing.

              Roger

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Martin" wrote:

              > I recently changes the racor fuel filter and the filter in the bottom of the fuel pump. Since I use a two micron Racor filter the one on the pump was so clean I saw no reason to change out the third filter.
              > After changing the filters the engine would not start. The manual on the W27A indicates that with the key on the pump should bleed the system in 15-20 seconds and if not a second go will do it. But,it was not to be. After reseating both filters and topping of the Racor to the very top, still no joy. After two hours of frustration, I callled in the mechanic. Turns out there IS a bleed option. There are three bolt heads showing on the smallest filter and the middle elongated one is a bleed valve. This is not identified as a bleed valve on the engine manual I have nor in the bleeding instructions. At any rate it worked and so I thought I'd pass along this hidden option if the self bleed fails.
              > Perhaps my fuel pump is feeling its 25 years and is no longer able to deal with an air block? I have found that this is a Facet pump, a division of Purolater and the part number per Torreson is 476459N which they price at $126.69 Apparently the Facet model number can be found under the red Westerbeke paint on the mounting feet. Probably avaiable from auto shops stocking Purolater at half the Torreson price. The new pump has a cleanable plastic filter and does not have a ground wire, but relies on the mounting bolts grounding it. Anyone know the correct Facet model in case our pump gives up?
              >

              > Cheers,
              > Martin

            • Bennett Kaufman
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 16, 2013
                Does anyone know with which Westerbekes (or any other engine[s]) this particular fuel pump will work?
                ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 16, 2013
                  Let me save Pete some time.
                  Pete gave me the number here some 7 years ago (it is in the group if one does a search for facet).

                  Pep Boys was selling it for $69 at the time
                  It was a facet/purolater (Purlator bought facet).
                  Model number is PRO 87SV

                  Price has gone up a bit over the years.
                  if you enter    pro 87sv     into ebay, you find the pump for $70 and the kit for $90.
                  I find the pump alone gets the job done.  You are going to be splicing electrical plugs anyways (unless you swap to your own plugs as Westerbeke has some bozo plug).

                  john

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 17, 2013
                    Thanks to all for help on the fuel pump I found the model 476459 Facet for $80 at Yacht Supply Depot. The 476459 is the model Toresson says replaces the original Westerbeke fuel pump of the W27A.
                    The primary purpose of my post though, was to alert fellow 27A owners that a bleed point does exist on the engine fuel system even though it is NOT identified in the owners documentation.
                    Cheers,

                    Martin