Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Flax packing width / Dripless boxes

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 9, 2013
      Kevin -
      You should slowly tighten the nut until it just stops dripping.  Set the locknut and start up the boat, put the transmission in forward (in a slip or at a dock, not on a mooring).  The shaft should drip very slightly, (@ one drop/minute).  Shut it down and feel the box.  It should not be appreciably warm.

      If you can't stop the drip at rest, if it drips excessively when turning, or if you have to choose between dripping and warm, you should repack the box and inspect the shaft.

      I am a big fan of Gore-Tex GFO packing.  It's not that easy to find and there are knockoffs out there. Try e-marine.com

      Also see RC's photo series on stuffing boxes at:

      Pete

      On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Kevin <Khartz86@...> wrote:

      How do you tell when it is time to repack the stuffing box?

      I have had to adjust my stuffing box 2 to 4 times a year since I have had my boat. The PO told me he had just repacked the stuffing box when I purchased the boat two years ago. I have only tightened the box a flat at a time as recommended by Compass Marine article.

      Kevin

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Allison Lehman wrote:

> [...]
      >

      > On Jan 8, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Peter Tollini wrote:
      >

      > > Allison -
      > > I think the concern is the failure mode for dripless. Conventional boxes start failing slowly as soon as they are placed in service, but unless neglected for years, rarely sink a boat. With real GFO packing, water incursion is negligible. The dripless versions consistently work perfectly for years, but can fail suddenly and catastrophically. A few years ago the USCG investigated the sinking of a new Carolina Classic 28 being delivered. The boat sank not far from the plant with one fatality. The cause was a failed/improperly installed dripless stuffing box.
      > > One of the people on this list had a scare on their 402 due to a slipped collar.
      > > As with all things boat, proper installation followed by regular inspection and maintenance reduces risk more than anything else.
      > > Pete
      > >

      > > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Allison Lehman wrote:
      > >
      > > Stephen,
      > >
      > > How old was the dripless packing gland on the boat that sank? Do you know if it had ever been checked? What exactly failed? Could it have been a loose hose clamp? I ask these questions because many people have been scared off of these thinking they are inherently flawed, and as you eluded to, the cause of failure is usually operator error. In this case, not checked or replaced at recommended intervals.
      > >
      > > I say this as a Yacht broker who has been selling new boats with for the last 16 yrs as well as having my own for the last 9 yrs. I have yet to see a failure on any boat with one, with the exception of lack of maintenance (a hose clamp corroded thru and failed) Had the owner looked at the packing gland at least once every 6 months they would have seen this.
      > >
      > > I hate to see a good product get trashed due to bad maintenance. In many cases I have seen o lder boats switch out to a dripless system and the boat changed dramatically for the better. First off, no water in the bilge so no smell, no regular cleaning of the bilge, humidity in the boat down so doors fit better, mirrors last longer and upholstery and foam lasts longer. The benefits are huge but one must still maintain the product.

      > > OK, Allison, off the soap box!
      > >

      > > On Jan 8, 2013, at 9:50 AM, Stephen wrote:
      > >

      > >> I would advise against the dripless stuffing box. I have a standard stuffing box on my 34MK2 which was packed 6 or 7 years ago, and has required little adjustment since.
      > >> I had a client whose Bristol 34 sank when the dripless stuffing box failed. I did a fair amount of research which indicated the dripless boxes have two modes-they work great or the boat suddenly sinks. Sometimes low tech is good! (I think part of the problem is that dripless boxes are seldom maintained properly and their failures tend to be major-traditional stuffing boxes fail progressively, and give you a lot of warning).

    • mhrutstein
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 9, 2013
        Well... we got a little off topic there, but thanks for all the feedback. I am going to stick with the traditional stuffing box and use the Goretex GFO packing.

        Also, I am going to try a Drivesaver. I am replacing my engine mounts and have to disconnect the coupling anyhow, and I have heard good things.

        Thanks to Dick from Early Light for giving me the heads up on engine mounts.

        Mike
        S38TBNL
      • Jan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 9, 2013
          Whoa John,

          I thought I was the only one to carry "duck seal" as part of my spares! I've never come across another sailor who even knows what it is but I've explained why I have it aboard for exacttly your reason!

          Jan S38 MkI (with GFO in the original shaft fitting)