Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Boat Insurance

  • Dave Evans
    Message 1 of 58 , Jan 6, 2013
      Wondered the same thing. It is an agreed value; can it be challenged if selling price is demonstrably less?
      How much saved by the reduction?
      dge

      Sent from my iPhone 5.

      On Jan 6, 2013, at 10:14 PM, "Martin" <mnthomas46@...> wrote:

      We have a 1987 S34II insured with Boat US and note that several others with similar boats carry much higher declared value. Is there any point in having a higher value that the amount you'd receive on sale of the boat? We originally carried 70K based on what we bought her for. It has been ten years and I recently reduced the value to 60K to reflect an optimistic sale price based on similar sales reported by a local broker. Did I screw up?

      Cheers,
      Martin

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Richard Coerse wrote:

      > Sometimes it appears that they use a dart board rather than actuarial
      > tables when setting premiums.
      >
      > Brooks Wright wrote:
      > >
      > > That's about half what they quoted me a year ago. I don't get it.
      > >
      > > Brooks Wright

    • DAVID LOCHNER
      Message 58 of 58 , Nov 22, 2016
        Ouch!

        On Nov 21, 2016, at 5:38 PM, Leonard Bertaux lbertaux@... [Sabresailboat] <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Bricked the keel and cracked the hull/keel at the back of the keel. Almost fully recovered. Some finish woodwork remains which I will have done this winter.

        Leonard Bertaux

        Sent from my iPhone,

        On Nov 21, 2016, at 5:17 PM, DAVID LOCHNER davelochner@... [Sabresailboat] <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Brian,

        Thanks for the link, didn’t see that article in the NYT. My homeowners and auto insurance is with USAA. I’ve been with them for many years and the service has always been great. Every December I receive a modest rebate on my auto insurance because they are a mutual insurance company. The rebate isn’t much, about enough for a couple of burgers and beers at a pub, buy hey….  Last time I checked with them, their yacht policy was not better than BoatUS, time to check again.

        Len,

        Sorry to hear about your insurance claim, been down that road myself. What happened? Have the wounds healed enough to talk about it yet?

        Dave

        On Nov 21, 2016, at 5:00 PM, 'Nauset Beach' nausetbeach@... [Sabresailboat] <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        While not a direct corollary, in Sunday’s New York Times there was an article about a survey of 312 auto insurance companies [98.5% of the industry] comparing the amount paid out in claims to the total premiums collected, the “paid loss ratio.”  The survey determined publicly traded insurance companies [including GEICO] paid the lowest ratio at 62.8% and mutual insurance companies which also paid dividends to policy holders paid the highest at 72.6%.

        One might surmise the marine underwriting division of these companies [where they exist] operate in the same manor. Possibly another metric to use when screening insurance companies.

        http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/business/the-kind-of-car-insurer-that-gives-consumers-the-best-value.html

        Brian