Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: 1979 MKI Interior Cabin Liner

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
      Gosh, I stand corrected.  I relied on an authoritative article from "Cruising World" for my comments.  It never ocurred to me that they might have failed to track the late breaking developments in the nauga ecosystem(s).

      I, like all responsible sailors, support the efforts of aboriginal peoples to establish a sustainable -- and humane -- economic substructure for mutual co-existance with the naugas for the benefit of humanity and long term viability of the herds.

      That said, 97.6% of Hinckley owners take Ultrasuede over naugas, dead or alive, any day of the week.

      On Jan 3, 2013, at 10:49 PM, "Phil" <pj@...> wrote:

      Actually, due to the hard work of some conservation groups, the nauga
      herds have been repopulated & removed from the endangered lists, so
      possession is now actually encouraged as it helps support the local tribes that hunt the nauga.

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Starkey wrote:

      > You should be aware that since the early days of Sabre, the naugas have been added to the endangered species list and that posession of post-1980 hides without proper documentation can lead to serious legal consequences both in the US and particularly in Canada and the Bahamas. Sabre switched to cypress ceilings to avoid exposing their customers to legal exposure. Black market hides can be found, but you should be prepared to accept the consequences if caught.
      >

      > On Jan 2, 2013, at 10:49 PM, "Phil" wrote:
      >
      > > Did some major work in the salon a few years ago & replaced most of that liner. The stuff is Naugahyde. At the time I got it from Glen Chaplin, but you can find it on the net. The color is either "oyster"
      > > or "surf".
      > >
      > > Phil Horn
      > > Scimitar
      > > S34 #67
      > >
      > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey Sabres,
      > > >
      > > > So i'm finishing up my Chainplate Knee replacement in the next day or so and looking for options to replace the old off-white liner that was glued to the interior of the Hull and shelving within the main cabin Cabinetry. It seems to be some sort of Vinyl material.
      > > >
      > > > Has anyone found a source of this material or found another option to finish out the interior of their cabinetry. I'm not found of simply painting the hull.... it would be nice to find a materiel that looks nice, easy to cut and shape to the hull and shelving, and looks somewhat similar to the hold stuff.
      > > >
      > > > Any ideas would be great.
      > > >
      > > > Happy New year!
      > > >
      > > > Michael

    • Bennett Kaufman
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2013
        Sheesh! Cabin fever sems to be settling in already...and it's only early January! Looks like it's gonna be a looong winter.

        ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)

        Gosh, I stand corrected.  I relied on an authoritative article from "Cruising World" for my comments.  It never ocurred to me that they might have failed to track the late breaking developments in the nauga ecosystem(s).

        I, like all responsible sailors, support the efforts of aboriginal peoples to establish a sustainable -- and humane -- economic substructure for mutual co-existance with the naugas for the benefit of humanity and long term viability of the herds.

        That said, 97.6% of Hinckley owners take Ultrasuede over naugas, dead or alive, any day of the week.

        On Jan 3, 2013, at 10:49 PM, "Phil" <pj@...> wrote:

        Actually, due to the hard work of some conservation groups, the nauga
        herds have been repopulated & removed from the endangered lists, so
        possession is now actually encouraged as it helps support the local tribes that hunt the nauga.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Starkey wrote:

        > You should be aware that since the early days of Sabre, the naugas have been added to the endangered species list and that posession of post-1980 hides without proper documentation can lead to serious legal consequences both in the US and particularly in Canada and the Bahamas. Sabre switched to cypress ceilings to avoid exposing their customers to legal exposure. Black market hides can be found, but you should be prepared to accept the consequences if caught.
        >

        > On Jan 2, 2013, at 10:49 PM, "Phil" wrote:
        >
        > > Did some major work in the salon a few years ago & replaced most of that liner. The stuff is Naugahyde. At the time I got it from Glen Chaplin, but you can find it on the net. The color is either "oyster"
        > > or "surf".
        > >
        > > Phil Horn
        > > Scimitar
        > > S34 #67
        > >
        > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hey Sabres,
        > > >
        > > > So i'm finishing up my Chainplate Knee replacement in the next day or so and looking for options to replace the old off-white liner that was glued to the interior of the Hull and shelving within the main cabin Cabinetry. It seems to be some sort of Vinyl material.
        > > >
        > > > Has anyone found a source of this material or found another option to finish out the interior of their cabinetry. I'm not found of simply painting the hull.... it would be nice to find a materiel that looks nice, easy to cut and shape to the hull and shelving, and looks somewhat similar to the hold stuff.
        > > >
        > > > Any ideas would be great.
        > > >
        > > > Happy New year!
        > > >
        > > > Michael

      • Carter Brey
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2013

          "That said, 97.6% of Hinckley owners take Ultrasuede over naugas, dead or alive, any day of the week."

          Get with the program, Starkey. The best sailors are upgrading from Ultrasuede to Hypersuede and its transfrequency derivative, Infrasuede.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2013
            Carter   Just priceless ! Happy new year..  Lee Nicholas / Fla

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 4, 2013
            • 1 Attachment
            • 63 KB
            For those of you who have not seen a real Nauga on a vintage episode of Wild Kingdom, here is a rare photo of a Nauga confronting the competition.
            Pete

            On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM, jack horner <captbluwater@...> wrote:

> [...]

            > > or "surf".
            > >
            > > Phil Horn
            > > Scimitar
            > > S34 #67
            > >
            > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hey Sabres,
            > > >
            > > > So i'm finishing up my Chainplate Knee replacement in the next day or so and looking for options to replace the old off-white liner that was glued to the interior of the Hull and shelving within the main cabin Cabinetry. It seems to be some sort of Vinyl material.
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone found a source of this material or found another option to finish out the interior of their cabinetry. I'm not found of simply painting the hull.... it would be nice to find a materiel that looks nice, easy to cut and shape to the hull and shelving, and looks somewhat similar to the hold stuff.

          • Richard Coerse
            Message 6 of 15 , Jan 4, 2013
              It seems that Sabre Yachts used the rarest of the species, the albino
              nauga. It is ny understanding that naugahyde may still be legally
              purchased in the less liked colors of mauve, lavender, chartreuse and
              pink which begs the question of which teak treatment would be best with
              chartreuse naughyde?