Lifeline point of failure

  • stebenb9567
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2012
      We read a lot about potential lifeline failures but I was a bit surprised by this failure. I've saved the pic in the Photo folder under Wind Rush II.

      The pic shows the failed lifeline attachment eye ring on the pushpit, which failed at 3 visible points. This after lifeline is one which readily falls to hand (bad habit) when climbing out of the cockpit from under the bimini so over time it is subjected to repeated small loads & hence fatigue.

      Happy New Year!

      Steve

      Wind Rush II
      S38-I
    • Jan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2012
        Steve,

        Yikes! I mated a eyelet tube fitting to that pushpit fitting on our boat so I could go with SS tube instead of the cable by using two washers and a bolt through both eyes. The washers sort of hide the fitting so I guess I should take it apart and check the condition. We use the dodger for support when exiting the cockpit so ours does not see the pulling and tugging that your must see.

        Thanks for posting!

        Jan S38 MkI "Capriccio" Mazatlan, Mex.

        PS- Having ot visited in a long time, I just made a visit to Yachtworld and saw both Bill Blaylock's "Surfer Girl" and Allison's "Calypso". It is fun to "know" the owners and then see the boats in the listing. I love this group!