Re: Pic of Cetol Natural Teak

  • mhrutstein
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 28, 2012
      These pictures show two very different colors. Is the result of weathering, or..?
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
        Om my new Morgan 384 there is Cetol on the rails , For me i would never use it , I like  La Tonkinas  real old world linseed varnish.  I just redid my sabre 28 wow do the rails come out nice. That deep orange brown . Is the quality of that Sabre teak tops ! Makes me so sad to have to sell her !I'm in fla so i did 2 coats a day  Early AM and A 5 Pm coat ! no sanding in between, foam brush and a little penatrol in the mix.She looks so proud now ! She should be ready for sale in feb ...Lee/ fla

        These pictures show two very different colors. Is the result of weathering, or..?

      • Bennett Kaufman
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
          I think he means "La Tonkinois"...

          ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
            It's got good reviews
            http://www.ventspleen.com/?p=1402
            but hard to find in the US. Here is one source:
            http://www.tarsmell.com/letonkinois_original.html, at around $45/qt delivered.
            Also here: http://nwmaritime.org/chandlery/supplies/le-tonkinois-varnishno.-1/

            Harry

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
              Informative thread on Le Tonk here:  http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?67274-Le-Tonkinois-varnish

              Dave

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
                We have used Le Tonk extensively on the schooner Fame (schoonerfame.com) for the last ten years.

                It's not going to give you the hardness or the looks of a top-end varnish but it is easy to apply, looks nice, is very forgiving, and lasts well with an annual recoat. It can only be gotten from one source right now in the US. Bill ships quickly, but getting it from California takes time and you always have to be planning ahead lest you run out. You can't just go to the local chandlery and pick up a quart to finish a job.

                FInally, it is pretty expensive, so we have started to use Helmsman spar varnish for some applications.

                Mike Rutstein
                Sabre 38 To Be Named Later
              • Allison Lehman
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
                  Bring on the popcorn :-)

                  Allison

                  On Dec 29, 2012, at 6:48 AM, Dave Lochner wrote:

                  Informative thread on Le Tonk here:  http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?67274-Le-Tonkinois-varnish

                  Dave

                  On Dec 29, 2012, at 9:28 AM, sailor11767 wrote:

                  It's got good reviews
                  http://www.ventspleen.com/?p=1402
                  but hard to find in the US. Here is one source:
                  http://www.tarsmell.com/letonkinois_original.html, at around $45/qt delivered.
                  Also here: http://nwmaritime.org/chandlery/supplies/le-tonkinois-varnishno.-1/

                  Harry

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bennett Kaufman <kaufmanb@...> wrote:

                  > I think he means "La Tonkinois"...
                  >
                  > ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)

                • JohnF
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
                    This is freshly applied Cetol, no weathering. Chaulk the color variations up to the fluorescent light, different angle of the second pic, etc.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
                      Thank you Allison , I use it cause its fast in fla ya can do 2 coats a day no sanding.. Its not cheep but will not curl after the fla sun hits it . after 8 coats  a new coat a year . ( light sanding with a sanding sponge wash with paint thinner and apply another coat .  My Sabre always looks a little prouder when done !  Lee/Tarpon Springs( Clearwater)