Re: Centerboard vs. Fin Keel

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
      The choice is usually driven by the water you sail in. Thin water disposes one to a centerboard. I have only sailed the fin keel version of the S 34 II. I think the fin is a really good shape and it gives a high ballast to weight ration with much of the weight down low. This is very helpful in standing up to strong and gusty winds we get here in SF Bay and the Pacific. There are some areas it would be nice to have shallower draft, but many more where the performance to windward and the stiffness in a blow from a good deep fin are nicer. Centerboards are therefore not very popular here.
      I used to sail LI Sound when much younger and my recollection is that a centerboard would be nice on occasion and the winds are light to moderate so it supports a centerboard, somewhat

      Cheers,
      Martin