Re: [SabreSailboat] Bilge board supports

  • Bill Blalock
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 17, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 1.4 MB
    Pete, this is a photo of the mast step, but if you look over to the side you can see my patented "Blalock Bilge Board Box", along with some duct tape shims (patent pending) on the stringer. Works great, lasts forever, easy.
    Bill B, S38 mk1 #88

    On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:
    Dude. Build a square out of starboard and set it in the bilge, edge up, for the bilge cover to rest on. Easy.
    Bill B

    On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

    One of the supports that holds the bilge covers in the cabin sole is coming loose.  Has anyone done this repair?  I was thinking of an acetone wash of the mating surfaces, followed by injecting WEST epoxy between the support and the underside of the sole, then clamping.  Getting any kind of mechanical fastener in from the underside would require dentist's equipment.

    Message 2 of 9 , Dec 17, 2012
      They are just epoxied in place - no signs of mechanical fasteners.  I think I may take the "belt and braces" approach, by epoxying the supports in place (after sanding), then backing them up with the Starboard supports.  Then we can do the Bristol Stomp down below after we do it out on the water.
      Pete

      On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:

      Pete,

      My first question would be, "why is the support coming loose?" How was it attached in the first place? Glue only? Or Glue and mechanical?

      Before and after the acetone wash I would be tempted to sand the surfaces. That handy little Dremel Multimax should do it.

      If you are really a talented worker you might try a blind screw. Lift up a bit of the plywood veneer, put a screw in and then glue the veneer back down.

      And tell your wife no more line dancing in the cabin, that's probably what caused it to break loose.

      Dave

      On Dec 17, 2012, at 3:55 PM, Peter Tollini wrote:

      One of the supports that holds the bilge covers in the cabin sole is coming loose.  Has anyone done this repair?  I was thinking of an acetone wash of the mating surfaces, followed by injecting WEST epoxy between the support and the underside of the sole, then clamping.  Getting any kind of mechanical fastener in from the underside would require dentist's equipment.

      Pete

    • Richard Coerse

        Message 4 of 9 , Dec 17, 2012
          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini wrote:

          One of the supports that holds the bilge covers in the cabin sole is coming
          loose. Has anyone done this repair? I was thinking of an acetone wash of
          the mating surfaces, followed by injecting WEST epoxy between the support
          and the underside of the sole, then clamping. Getting any kind of
          mechanical fastener in from the underside would require dentist's equipment.
          Pete

          DUET's PO had repaired this failure by screwing the braces in place from above and plugging over the screw heads. Looks pretty "shippy" actually.

          Peter
        • navip11
          Message 5 of 9 , Dec 18, 2012
            Pete,

            I have a similar issue on our S30. In my case it appears that the PO neglected to caulk the space in the head between the fiberglass liner and the mast support beam on the floor(facing aft). Over time when someone showered or got water on the floor it would leak out under the mast support and onto the cabin sole, making its way into the bilge via the support board. Rot set in, it become lose and despite my efforts to add some screws into the rotted sole, eventually someone walked on it and it snapped off.

            Ours did have some smaller staples on the underside which may have been used to support it while whatever adhesive was used dried.

            Last spring I took out what was left of the support board and created a new one out of marine plywood. Pre-drilled some screws while the board was out, applied west and screwed it in best I could. It didn't last all summer. I am going to remove the screws and be more aggressive with the epoxy, clamp as you suggest and let sit.

            My advice would to be cautious with the supports. As you mentioned it is extremely difficult to get any screws in from the underside. You may also find that the "marine plywood" that you are going to be attaching the supports to is not in the best of shape. Mine is not and I am really dancing around replacing a portion of rotted cabin sole. But hey the veneer on top still looks good!

            AJ
          • JohnF