RE: [SabreSailboat] Winter projects on my Sabre 362

  • JOHN CALLIS
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2012
      On my S34 MKII the mast step used to get wet when it rained, and I was worried that water would seep into the bolts that hold my mast step causing rot.  My solution has kept my mast step and everything around it bone dry for two years now, and I highly recommend it.

      What I did was drill a hole in the back of the mast at the very bottom, so that any water in the mast could easily run out the back.  Of course some water can seep out the front and side of the mast, so to solve that problem I used a heavy gauge solid piece of copper wire and bent it to fit the profile of the mast.  I then stuck it in place with butyl tape so that it surrounds the whole mast except for at the back.  This has created a mote, and all water is forced to run out the back side of the mast and down into the bilge.  I used some more butyl tape to ensure that the water does not seep under the mast step as well.

      John
      S34 MKII

      On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Jules Bender wrote:

         I've made my list of winter projects and before I start I thought it would be prudent to check with this site 1)  When it rains I get water that must be running down the inside of the mast and it fill up the mast step box...I checked the diagram of the mast step in the Sabre User Manual and they don't show a weep hole in the mast step box....Do you think there would be a problem if I drilled a hole thru the mast step box, fibre glass flooring and 1/2" aluminum plate...it's not obvious where the water would drain into...2) the refrigeration unit on my boat has a front door, the chrome on the handle is pitted and I'd love to replace it or have it re-chromed, the problem is I can't see any way of removing it w/o disassembling the door....any suggestions ? 3)  I have 3 AGM batteries (1 for starting, 2 as house bank) they are group 27, rated for 92AH @20 hr....I put about 100 hours on the engine every season, batteries are 5 years old, do I need to replace ?........any and all help is appreciated...Jules 362/110