Winter projects on my Sabre 362

  • Jules Bender
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
      I've made my list of winter projects and before I start I thought it would be prudent to check with this site 1)  When it rains I get water that must be running down the inside of the mast and it fill up the mast step box...I checked the diagram of the mast step in the Sabre User Manual and they don't show a weep hole in the mast step box....Do you think there would be a problem if I drilled a hole thru the mast step box, fibre glass flooring and 1/2" aluminum plate...it's not obvious where the water would drain into...2) the refrigeration unit on my boat has a front door, the chrome on the handle is pitted and I'd love to replace it or have it re-chromed, the problem is I can't see any way of removing it w/o disassembling the door....any suggestions ? 3)  I have 3 AGM batteries (1 for starting, 2 as house bank) they are group 27, rated for 92AH @20 hr....I put about 100 hours on the engine every season, batteries are 5 years old, do I need to replace ?........any and all help is appreciated...Jules 362/110
    • Allison Lehman
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
        Jules we too had the mast step problem till Jerry got down on his hands and knees With a coat hanger.  He found a clogged limber hole going from the bilge to the bottom of the mast step.  What we used to do was put a piece of twisted paper towel in the mast step box and drape it into the bilge (the board would be up) and it would wick water out of the box.

        As for the fridge handle. I too would like to replace so I anxious to hear what others say.  Did you as Glen about it?

        Allison

        Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
            I would not drill into the plywood mast base as that is simply an invitation for rot in an area that can't be seen. Instead, drill a small hole in the base of the mast to allow water to exit, and grind a small 1/4" deep trench into the top of the mast step, leading towards the edge of the mast step and over into the bilge to guide the water. You may have to cut a grove in the hatch board if it butts the mast step.

            To be sure you don't get water into the end grain of the cabin sole. Put several coats of epoxy on all exposed areas so as to make a water proof bathtub around the mast step.

            Cheers,
            Martin

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
              there is no plywood mast base the box is metal and the plywood is around it but not underneath it.  But there is no need as there is a limber hole it is just clogged

              Allison

              On Dec 10, 2012, at 8:51 PM, Martin wrote:

              I would not drill into the plywood mast base as that is simply an invitation for rot in an area that can't be seen. Instead, drill a small hole in the base of the mast to allow water to exit, and grind a small 1/4" deep trench into the top of the mast step, leading towards the edge of the mast step and over into the bilge to guide the water. You may have to cut a grove in the hatch board if it butts the mast step.

              To be sure you don't get water into the end grain of the cabin sole. Put several coats of epoxy on all exposed areas so as to make a water proof bathtub around the mast step.

              Cheers,
              Martin

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

              > Allison, Thanks for the info on weep hole, I did not ask Glen about refrig
              > door but now that you suggested it , I will and let you know what he
              > says....Jules
              >
              > On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Allison Lehman <allison@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Jules we too had the mast step problem till Jerry got down on his hands
              > > and knees With a coat hanger. He found a clogged limber hole going from
              > > the bilge to the bottom of the mast step. What we used to do was put a
              > > piece of twisted paper towel in the mast step box and drape it into the
              > > bilge (the board would be up) and it would wick water out of the box.
              > >
              > > As for the fridge handle. I too would like to replace so I anxious to hear
              > > what others say. Did you as Glen about it?
              > >
              > > Allison
              > >
              > > Sent from my iPhone
              > >
              > > On Dec 10, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > I've made my list of winter projects and before I start I thought it would
              > > be prudent to check with this site 1) When it rains I get water that must
              > > be running down the inside of the mast and it fill up the mast step box...I
              > > checked the diagram of the mast step in the Sabre User Manual and they
              > > don't show a weep hole in the mast step box....Do you think there would be
              > > a problem if I drilled a hole thru the mast step box, fibre glass flooring
              > > and 1/2" aluminum plate...it's not obvious where the water would drain
              > > into...2) the refrigeration unit on my boat has a front door, the chrome on
              > > the handle is pitted and I'd love to replace it or have it re-chromed, the
              > > problem is I can't see any way of removing it w/o disassembling the
              > > door....any suggestions ? 3) I have 3 AGM batteries (1 for starting, 2 as
              > > house bank) they are group 27, rated for 92AH @20 hr....I put about 100
              > > hours on the engine every season, batteries are 5 years old, do I need to
              > > replace ?........any and all help is appreciated...Jules 362/110

            • Nick Sands
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 11, 2012

                We had a very clogged drain hold in our mast step box – several years of accumulated dirt + metal shavings when the pole track was installed made for a surprisingly good seal!  Rain-water would sit in the mast step tray for days.  Bottom of mast has peeled paint and quite ugly.

                Rig is now out of the boat so can get it cleaned up, but I’m wondering why that beautiful stainless mast step tray has to have a continuous lip around it?  There’s no structural reason, I’d have put a little gap in the surround to let anything out.  Of course, pulling the mast more frequently also helps!  I’ve got plans for a similar twisted coat-hanger solution too …

                Nick

                s/v “Escapade”

                S402

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 11, 2012
                  On my S34 MKII the mast step used to get wet when it rained, and I was worried that water would seep into the bolts that hold my mast step causing rot.  My solution has kept my mast step and everything around it bone dry for two years now, and I highly recommend it.

                  What I did was drill a hole in the back of the mast at the very bottom, so that any water in the mast could easily run out the back.  Of course some water can seep out the front and side of the mast, so to solve that problem I used a heavy gauge solid piece of copper wire and bent it to fit the profile of the mast.  I then stuck it in place with butyl tape so that it surrounds the whole mast except for at the back.  This has created a mote, and all water is forced to run out the back side of the mast and down into the bilge.  I used some more butyl tape to ensure that the water does not seep under the mast step as well.

                  John
                  S34 MKII