Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: barrier coat

  • GRAHAM BROADHURST
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
      That is exactly what I did to my 34. Orange peel only appeared on the last coat of the day.  Then I sanded back and put on two more coats and antifoul
      It has been 8 years now and each year it gets smoother and smoother
      Graham S34 Fearless

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
        The first thing to do is to evaluate the condition of the hull's veil layer. If it's dry and there's no sign of hydrolysis or inadequate wet-out then a barrier coat would be redundant. The best barrier to water intrusion into a hull is a resin-rich veil layer. This principle is behind Sabre's DuraLam system.

        If the laminate is either wet and/or there are signs of hydrolysis or inadequate wet-out the failed laminate should be removed. Then a new laminate should be applied by molding chopped-strand mat and a high quality resin together using a serrated resin roller. The primary purpose of the new laminate is to form a new resin-rich veil layer. Vinylester or polyester resin should be finished with polyester gelcoat (NPG ISO). Epoxy resin should be left unfinished.

        Bob Hunt
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
          Two Interprotect tricks:
          Use a short nap rollller to minimize orange peel
          Alternate white and gray coats so you can see where you've painted

          Pete

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mc1001@..." <mc1001@...> wrote:

          > A quick question about barrier coats: I am probably going to have my Sabre 36 soda blasted. Is it a missed opportunity not (because of expense) to get a barrier coat done too?
          > Any thoughts?
          >
          > Thanks, JM

        • Bob Jenning
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
            General question regarding a barrier coat.

            How does one deal with the stands?  Do you put wax paper on the stands & move them around or go around them, then go back to attack those areas?

            Bob

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
              Bob.

              The boatyard where I have Early Light hauled will not let the boat owner move the stands, their personnel must move them (they say it is a liability issue) so be sure you check with your yard first.  I have not done a barrier coat but when I bottom paint, I paint around the stands, then the next day have the yard move them (they use wax paper when they reposition them) then I prep and paint where the stands were originally.

              Dick Coerse
              "Early Light"
              1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160
              Solomons, MD

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
                If your yard will not let you move stands, then paint around the stands with each coat about 1" further out. When you've gotten all barrier coats on, do your bottom paint.  Do the first coat "hot" while the last barrier coat is tacky, but firm enough the show a fingerprint.
                Subsequent coats usually need 24 hrs drying time, but check the label. When done, have the yard move the stands, sand the eges of the barrier around the bare spots, and do your barrier coats and bottom paint.
                The good news is you can do a coat of Interprotect every 3-4 hours at 70 degrees.
                Pete